Is userControls still broken? Help with 14 bit midi controller

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,
This has been driving me nuts for some time now.
I wanted to make a 64 knob 14 bit midi controller for bitwig.
I did a test with just one knob and messing around copying and pasting stuff from other controller scripts I got it to work, so I made the pcb, made the controller, and then it didn't work anymore.
Since the script was something I didn't fully understand, I took the time to really get to know what it does, and I cleaned it up and ended up with a script that is now very simple, and should work.
And the thing is it SOMETIMES works. Sometimes I map a knob and the control receives the 14 bit midi, but many other times I map it and I get a normal 7 bit midi cc mapped (the MSB).
By testing and using a lot of println() I came to the conclusion that when you map a CC, Bitwig kidnaps that CC and it doesn't let it get to the script, even if you have "Controller Script" prioritized in the mappings.
I came to this forum and started searching, and found some posts that address this issue. These are the posts:
viewtopic.php?t=519380
viewtopic.php?t=537431
In both posts it is said that userControls is broken, and it seems to have been broken for a while.
Do you know if Bitwig devs are aware of this problem? Is there an open ticket somewhere where I could see if fixing this is being taken into consideration?
BTW I'm on Bitwig 5.1

In the meantime, since I have a built controller that does its part well, I'm thinking about alternatives.
One would be using Mossgraber's flexi script, but as far as I know there is no way to freely map 64 knobs with it, even though the 14 bit midi works well with this script, but only lets you assign the controls to stuff like "selected track remotes - parameter 1", which is far from useful in this particular case.
Another option I'm considering is switching from 14 bit midi to osc. It seems like I could do it with the Teensy 4.0 I'm already using in the controller, and I would have to figure out the connection between Teensy and Bitwig, and also how to do the mappings. I guess it would be something like a reverse mapping, by putting the knobs in my controller in a "listening" state and then move the parameters I want to map on bitwig. This options seems to be the most adecuate right now, but I'm afraid it is going to be a lot of work.

Any thoughts on this issue?

Edit:
And just like always, right after posting it now works just as it should XD
I think I'm going to take the script and the controller to another pc and see if it still works

Return to “Controller Scripting”