Acid V vs TAL Bassline 101

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can't decide which I want.

I would like one of them for general sequencer squelchy madness as I have some industrial sized ideas I'd like to explore. Both are very good, though I understand they emulate two separate instruments.

Acid: has that cool bouncy acid sound and incredible mod options but no poly (not a dealbreaker, but TAL included it). As it emulates a specific thing it doesn't have much of an ADSR envelope so not suited to anything beyond bleepy sequenced bass lines. Something it does extrmeley well. Very user friendly sequencer with export options

101: has poly as an option and an lfo, but not the depth of modulation Acid has. Overall, and mod options aside, it is more flexible. But can it do that bouncy glidey kind of sound Acid can? It does have portamento and the lfo can affect pitch (something Acid can't modulate).

I have Arturia EFX Motions which can basically do all the mod stuff that Acid can, but is a separate plug in. Having everything in one package is super appealing as I really prefer to work with stuff I can get to grips with and use quickly being the simpleton that I am.

So is there anythign else I should consider because right now 101 is looking like the winner. I like the options Arturia gives, but the utitily of 101 seems a clear winner. But i'm not overly familiar with either synth (the hardware they are emulating) so is there anything I ought to know before I choose? I have Repro 1 which is great for sequenced stuff like this, except it loses its bottom end when the resonance is turned up. Fantastic synth otherwise.

You can get lovely acid from the 101 (hard and soft) and the TAL one is very close. Has that kinda rubber bouncy envelope.

It's much more versatile too, so only one winner here.

They sound very different, especially for distorted acid. But its only logical because acid v emulating tb303, bassline 101 - sh101

honestly I like phoscyon2 the most of all 303 emulations

Lbdunequest wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 4:48 pm They sound very different, especially for distorted acid. But its only logical because acid v emulating tb303, bassline 101 - sh101
Very different? I'm not sure I hear such differences. They are different of course.

Decisions decisions

seafire wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 4:29 pm You can get lovely acid from the 101 (hard and soft) and the TAL one is very close. Has that kinda rubber bouncy envelope.

It's much more versatile too, so only one winner here.
I'd like something that can do that kind of sound, ripe for sequences, and is easy to program. 101 seems to hite the sweet spot. I've not tried other 101 emulations, but do they get better than TAL? Roland does one, but i've no interest at all in their Cloud service

the 101 probably has the broader range, where as acid is pretty much one thing.

Well, one sounds like a 101 and the other sounds like a 303.

But aside from the sound, I just prefer using TAL synths compared to Arturia's. They feel lightweight and responsive, with user-friendly UIs that aren't bloated with animations and flashy graphics.

MiniBrute does a great job of both 101 and 303 sound. I like to just sequencer in the DAW.
You are currently reading my signature.

vurt wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:04 pm the 101 probably has the broader range, where as acid is pretty much one thing.
:clap: 100% the 101 is far more useable on more than just an "acid" riff.

Vortifex wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:06 pm Well, one sounds like a 101 and the other sounds like a 303.

But aside from the sound, I just prefer using TAL synths compared to Arturia's. They feel lightweight and responsive, with user-friendly UIs that aren't bloated with animations and flashy graphics.
Yes their stuff is excellent

Factory Floor use a real 101 for Acid style music with a lot of real-time tweaking. Two different ways really shows off how flexible a synth it is.

The TAL version is absolutely superb imo.
https://youtu.be/n4T2K-dkxA4?si=hN_mzs3184QctMa_

i like the acidbass from audioblast, super lite-weight and can be had on sale for < $20 pretty sure. I have most of the usuals of course, except abl's or whatever theyre
called.

That would be Acidbox v2. Yep, currently on sale for €19.

https://www.audioblast.me/product/acidbox/

Thanks for the recommendation, I will take a look

Return to “Instruments”