Dual head video card suggestions?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know the display resolution relies mostly on the monitors, not on the video card. The first thing that will prevent you to display the desired resolution is the screen capacity probably (but of course the video card has its limit too ; usually higher limit than common screens in my experience)

Then I don't know what is the interest of a dual screen video card when a simple card with vga+dv output is necessary to dispatch the desktop on 2 screens. Most recent cards have this option, and the only thing you'll need after a second monitor will be a dv -> vga adapter (around 5$ at the shop next block)

Recently I bought at this same shop a generic ati radeon 9200se 128mb 400mhz (50$), all simple and first model in nowadays smallest configs, far enough for 2D and DAW, to work with a second hand CRT 15' monitor (around 30$). The card could display much much higher resolution on 2 screens that my own 2 allow, or variable resolution on monitor A and B as well, or CRT+LCD, or 2xLCD, or VGA+DV, any combination is possible in fact, whatesoever all smoothly in a few mouse clicks. There would even be a possibility to plug in a TV (3 screens then), to make all 3 the same screen (for presentations etc), or splitted 2+1, or combi of this with the image upside down etc etc. Except in the screen capacity itself (finding a good cheap second hand screen can be tricky), there is no difference at all in the display quality between screen a and b (when swapping monitors for example), and it never fails nor delays to display complex desktops with many opened applications with animations etc, although I set it up to admit only 4mb extra ram from system (in the bios agp aperture size).

I'm sure lower models (thus cheaper even like 64mb cards) could do that too and very well too (I didn't even tried to save 20$ searching for lower price, but bought it cash from the shop's stock : all done in 15 minutes). To me, in a DAW, a graphic card is like a black hole : when it works for what you want to do, you simply forget about it.

Maybe I miss the point about dual heads graphic adapters, but if it's only to split the desktop in 2 convenient distinct areas, it's pointless as I see it :wink:

bebop wrote:Maybe I miss the point about dual heads graphic adapters, but if it's only to split the desktop in 2 convenient distinct areas, it's pointless as I see it :wink:
Who said anything about that? I've spread my desktop across both monitors for over two years, or is it 3 years now? I go crazy with trying to work with .wav editors on one monitor only. Cubase is significantly easier to work with on two monitors, and so was Logic. Many advantages to dual monitors.

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

Absolutely right, once you've tried it, no way to go back to a single screen display.

Only thing except giving my experience I wanted to do is to point at the difference between *dual head video cards* (like the Matrox G550, the Pardhelia thing too), and *single head dual display video cards* (most recent will do that). There is surely a utility in real dual head cards, but it's not in splitting the screen. And you maybe noticed it, real dual heads cards are quite to a lot more expansive than common dual display cards. And maybe you experience it some nasty pc shop vendor or site can very well swear to you that ONLY real dual heads cards can display the desktop over 2 screens (arguing falsely that it is vga OR dv, showing you the cable linking vga and dv on such cheaper cards etc etc), what could lead someone not too much into graphics to buy an expansive real dual head when only dual display is required. What wouldn't be cool actually.

That was just to stress on that point that *single head dual display* (dual display is software based) isn't exactly the same as *dual head* (two distinct physical outputs)

Or I completely misunderstood the topic or am completely misinformed (can be very plausible as well)... :wink:

not mad at'cha bebop, this is good, i just want someone to tell me wtf to get. so Devon! are we goin shoppin or what man and wtf are we getting cause my nvidia video chip on my shuttle is utter crap, its a dual head also and soon as I hook up both monitors things start to fck up. I thought you guys would of settled this by now i was hoping to go to frys and get one today :D

I'll sell you my G450 32 meg ddr for $35 + shipping once I get a G550 in here instead. ;) I just need something that won't interfere with my UAD-1 card.

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.

I guess will have to see about that one :)

so whats the advantage of having these 128meg dual cards?

stale bread wrote:I guess will have to see about that one :)

so whats the advantage of having these 128meg dual cards?
Higher resolution and color depth for 3D games. Not exactly something I worry about for my DAW. :D

Devon

DevonB wrote:I am looking at this card though, the ATI Radeon 7000 dual head for $32. Doesn't seem bad.
that's exactly what i use. never had any problems and don't know if i could ever go back to only one monitor.

lates

t-willy

so whats this business about not needing a dual head card to have dual head capability? ive got a 21 inch regular monitor and a 17inch lcd.

A year and a half ago, I bought an ATI 9500 Pro (by ATI, not an OEM).

My needs were a quality video card that had dual-head to drive 2 LCD's via analog connectors. Games weren't a primary concern, but as long as it didn't interfere with the 2D music operation, I didn't mind. Also, a quiet videocard was important to me (nVidia cards had obnoxiously loud cooling fans).

I feel the ATI card has served me well, and I'd be happy to buy the current version of the same card if I needed to. It's the only card I've ever had that drives the two LCD's perfectly (perfect pixel alignment).

Before the 9500, I had a Radeon VE. For whatever reason, the VE did not drive the LCD's very well, and I had lots of blurry pixels.

-Brian

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”