Hive 1 record it's Arp/Seq - Is it possible?

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ThomasLehmann wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:36 am maybe a simple export function for a standard midifile is the solution for now. Every DAW can import standard midifiles. That would help a lot and its a good compromise.
I also mentioned that before:
I wrote:Which leaves us with the option to save sequences as a MIDI file. That requires us to have a platform file browser, which sounds like a trivial thing to do, but has proven to be a major development task to integrate into our framework in a universal manner (e.g. also to load wavetable files etc.).

Urs wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:57 am
ThomasLehmann wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:36 am maybe a simple export function for a standard midifile is the solution for now. Every DAW can import standard midifiles. That would help a lot and its a good compromise.
I also mentioned that before:
I wrote:Which leaves us with the option to save sequences as a MIDI file. That requires us to have a platform file browser, which sounds like a trivial thing to do, but has proven to be a major development task to integrate into our framework in a universal manner (e.g. also to load wavetable files etc.).

With the Arp it makes little sense to export a midi file cause an Arp depends on notes being played and Hive has no idea what notes someone will play into the Arp. Midi from an Arp only works if you record output notes in realtime based on incoming notes.

Since Hive can integrate the Sequencer and the Arp, which is where you can get complex patterns, midi export would only work for the Sequencer part... and the Hive Sequencer is so simple. Just 16 steps, monophonic, and very few parameters. One can easily recreate any sequence in another sequencer, or pianoroll.

So I think midi export is a meaningless feature for Hive and a waste of development time. Either do realtime midi output of the arp/seq combo or don't bother. (my opinion only of course)

Urs wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:00 am We do work on these technologies a lot, but then abandon them if they cause more problems than they solve. For instance, VST2 is the only format that actually allows MIDI out. AU was supposed to get this, but its implementation is a mystery and never took off. VST3 has no built-in concept of MIDI, so there is no path out.

Some plug-ins create MIDI out points in the form of virtual MIDI devices. It's on our list of things to try out, but it seems like a stretch if people expect this to be tight.

Another idea we've followed is drag'n'drop of sequences as MIDI files (.mid). This works in many hosts, but then, last time we checked, some popular hosts don't support it. If we reckon that 50% of our users can't use a feature, it's not really a feature...

Which leaves us with the option to save sequences as a MIDI file. That requires us to have a platform file browser, which sounds like a trivial thing to do, but has proven to be a major development task to integrate into our framework in a universal manner (e.g. also to load wavetable files etc.).

So yeah, we're aware that exporting sequences is desirable, but so far there have been plenty of obstacles.
As I understand from you that drag n drop is possible & VST 2 version allows this?

horizon7 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:07 am As I understand from you that drag n drop is possible & VST 2 version allows this?
Not in any of our plug-ins. Short version of what I said is: We've tried drag'n'drop and we failed, because it was not possible to do reliably.

Regarding VST2, it is the only plug-in format we support that has MIDI out. All other plug-in formats we support do not have MIDI out.

Regarding a save-button, I said that we think it's a viable option, but we're far away from a solution.

pdxindy wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:52 pm]

With the Arp it makes little sense to export a midi file
unless you want to load it in another synth

AnX wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:41 am
pdxindy wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:52 pm]

With the Arp it makes little sense to export a midi file
unless you want to load it in another synth
What is the 'it' that you would load? An Arp doesn't have a set of notes, gate lengths, etc. It is only when the user plays notes that the Arp generates notes based on the notes being played. Until you play some notes, there is nothing there to export.

The only way to meaningfully export a midi file is for a midi recorder to be added to Hive to record what you play so Hive has something to export. Better to figure out how to have realtime output which can be recorded to the DAW

"It" would be the data from Hive's sequencer not the Arp. The sequencer already has the ability to record in Hive 2.

The request to record the output or be able to use the sequencer data in another plugin is not a new one. It goes all the way back to at least Z3ta+2.

Not something I need but it's not a novel request.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:27 pm "It" would be the data from Hive's sequencer not the Arp. The sequencer already has the ability to record in Hive 2.
:dog: ...and back to what I originally said :lol:

It's pretty clear in the OP's first comment what he wants....
horizon7 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:24 am I'm using Hive 1 & I want to record midi notes from it's ARP/Sequence to new channel.
I also think it's pretty clear what AnX meant by "it"........ :dog: :lol:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:38 pm It's pretty clear in the OP's first comment what he wants....
horizon7 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:24 am I'm using Hive 1 & I want to record midi notes from it's ARP/Sequence to new channel.
I also think it's pretty clear what AnX meant by "it"........ :dog: :lol:
hehehe... it's a comedy!

Yes, the OP said ARP/Sequencer... notice those 3 letters - ARP - thus my reply about the ARP part.

Notice the 8 letters -Sequence- it's obvious that's what one would want to use in another plugin.

But I agree it would be pointless and a waste of development time in Hive since its sequencer is so simple in regards to its note data. One could simply copy over the +/- note values in the steps.

The same request was also made for Dune 3 which does allow midi import of polyphonic sequences so it almost makes sense for it and other plugins like Parawave Rapid.

Again nothing I'd ever use since I don't see a point in using someones else's sequence data but there are some who do that's why we these kinds of requests and have for years. :shrug:

Teksonik wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:47 pm Notice the 8 letters -Sequence- it's obvious that's what one would want to use in another plugin.
That is not an obvious conclusion to me. If someone says ARP/Sequence, I assume that what they say is what they mean. Also, if you read the original post, they want to record the output of the ARP/Sequencer to a new channel, which is what would be useful cause the two modules do some great stuff in combination. I would like to have that feature too.

Well good luck. Going by what Urs has said I wouldn't hold my breath.

Return to “u-he”