Let‘s speculate about 5.2

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Funk Dracula wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:45 pm
nowiamone wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:38 pm
- In every DAW except Bitwig, when you want to select several clips in the arranger, you can trust this to happen, independently from where you start drawing the selection box. In Bitwig, you must start the selection box from the upper half of a Track-lane – otherwise you’ll get the time-selection. There must be an option to disable this. And instead have a fixed default tool (like the pointer tool), while of course maintaining the ability to quickly change the tools via shortcuts (1-5).
This too was kind of driving me bonkers, but then I RTFM and hidden within there was the solution.

Go to settings -> shortcuts -> and look up "Toggle Large Track Height" and assign a shortcut key to it. Toggle it on/off and take notice of what it does. It shrinks the track height and clips, but what it also does is change the behavior of the pointer tool to be an exclusive pointer tool!

I assigned the Tilde key to it because it's right there where my left hand is hanging around over the keys when arranging and I can flip it on/off quickly as needed.

So in Bitwig, you toggle really quick to the tiny track height, which shows more clips in your view, and you use this mode to grab tons of clips easily and without error of the multi-tool context positioning, and then freely move clips around.

Hope that helps. Cheers

-edit- I just wanted to add that there were a ton of things I thought Bitwig was missing, and alot of the times it turns out it was just already there and I hadn't learned about the feature yet. One example was that I sorely missed the velocity tool in Logic's piano roll, and it turned out Bitwig has it by holding down ctrl+shift with the pointer tool in it's piano roll. I'm constantly learning little tidbits like this haha.
Thanks alot for sharing this. Already knew this, and i also know about holding the ALT key to stay with the normal selection. However, this doesn't solve the issue for me. The Alt-Modifier key is not the same as giving the option to have real manual tool-switching, as it forces the user to a completely redundant and unnecessary modifier step. Having to press Alt just to be safe from accidentally adjusting the time-selection of selected notes would be no convenient workflow - and having to press small track height wouldn't even work in that scenario.

I agree, that often times people (me included) are too quick to think that a DAW they are learning should behave like a DAW they already know. However, i already am using Bitwig since 2 years now, and i know it very well in the areas which i use most and therefore know what i would appreciate to be changed. In some cases, i adjusted/adapted to the "Bitwig way", because it makes sense and is quick - like the Browser which can be opened in so many contexts, and the custom collections which can be made, and Bounce in Place, hybrid tracks, and the post recording functions, and more! But those are functions which make sense and offer a quick workflow. Some issues i listed in my huge post here are all issues which, imho, are prime examples of issues which are NOT solvable by adapting to Bitwig, because it's technically and logically impossible to be well adjusted to something like "press Enter to confirm renaming", as it makes zero sense. Other issues i listed are partially solvable by adapting to Bitwig, like getting used to pressing ALT in the Arranger to prevent accidental time-selections - but those are the kind of "getting used to something which is annoying and slows down" adapations which i highly dislike. Resignedly getting used to a workaround for an unpolished feature is neither a solution to the problem, nor is it very fun. :lol:
Last edited by nowiamone on Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I built a Looper for Bitwig! :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z5ywDo2bU0

nowiamone wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:55 pmSome issues i listed in my huge post here are all issues which, imho, are prime examples of issues which are NOT solvable by adapting to Bitwig, because it's technically and logically impossible to be well adjusted to something
For you...

Adherence to the abstract concept of perfection causes more friction in living than external circumstance... in this case, a Bitwig function that could potentially be improved upon. :ud:

pdxindy wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:17 pm
nowiamone wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:55 pmSome issues i listed in my huge post here are all issues which, imho, are prime examples of issues which are NOT solvable by adapting to Bitwig, because it's technically and logically impossible to be well adjusted to something
For you...

Adherence to the abstract concept of perfection causes more friction in living than external circumstance... in this case, a Bitwig function that could potentially be improved upon. :ud:
I love the 80/20 rule! For example, when it comes to finishing tracks, or in many other areas of life. I agree that it's a much smoother life, when not 'suffering' from perfectionism. However, i see no reason not to strive for polishing things. Yes, we could always stop and say "good enough" to everything, which is wonderful from a relaxing standpoint, and most certainly often times necessary to do! But it doesn't hurt to say that some things can improve in the world. Striving for betterment doesn't neccessarily come together with suffering from it.
So i'll point to the fact that i dislike having to press Enter after re-naming things in Bitwig, until they fix it. I don't suffer when i have to press Enter, don't worry! haha. I just am slightly annoyed from time to time. And when i'm in a good mood, thankfully, i am not even annoyed by it, just totally fascinated how this hasn't been fixed yet.

To those who miss the visual feedback, the legacy Audio Damage multitap delay is still great

https://www.audiodamage.com/pages/free-and-legacy

and free

btw. it's actually a great example of why it would be worth focusing on devices that manipulate MIDI instead of hardwired piano roll effects...just, let them have some visual feedback like this one here (even if it's an audio one ... )
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Hi all....

In these days I tryed Bitwig on Linux and I consider to buy it soon, but if it is possible to "speculate" to a new things that is needed, I give my opinion now. The Bitwig sound, (PERSONAL OPINION!), it is similar to some other audio softwares, like VCV Rack2. If the Bitwig Team search some way to implement different approach to create new and different timbre, I think that csound is one way. VCV Rack2 implements one module that give the sound of csound via dBRackCsound module.
https://github.com/docb/dbRackCsound

It would be nice to have this kind of module in the Bitwig's Grid.....

greets :wink:

My wishes workflow(speed up -less mousesways/clicks) developes. (Clicking/skipping my presets directly from the device/container view.. with simple </> (prev/next) buttons... instead allways open the browser..... than mosuway than click.... will do the job in 88% percent...)
And well a at least a MASTER scale/key as project-setting. All new clips will show up and (scale corection) all new clips... automatically, EXCEPT i define an exception for whole tracks (this clip)...

And a JUST-ONE-EVENT-RANDOM-Module for random preset-creating, triggered by just ONE Button. ONE BUTTON triggers 16 random modules. Each of these modules (as random-source). Each of this "sources" i can connect to any parameter as destination (or multiple parameter with different value-ranges....): ONE Easy to use (Trigger) RANDOM.button will instantly create new presets (in the case i defined for this devices/vsti/Rack....).
That would be so easy to create your own library of presets... One DRUMRACK with 127 of your favorite samples (for each slot) (all in Select mode) and you just have assagnied this "BUTTON ( each of the 16 Sources..." to "Select" another random value... and you will create your own fresh (rough) DRUM-Kits in by 3-time-clicks.

For Your Polymer-Leads... do the same but connect the 16-sources to 16 Polymer settings/Fx---settings. Give them all a gentle value-change and you will get gentle new leasds/ basses/Fx.... and so on.

PLEASE BWS: this is such an easy module to create.
Just a randome value (and the whole thing x 16) and just ONE TRIGGER to start/commit this 16 randomes... THATS all! (you will need 5 MINUTES to create the core!)
Call it "Trigger Random" 1/2/4/8/16 and copy/paste eg. the SEQ_8 stuff to izt. All in all--... MAybe 30 Minutes and that thing is done!

I just want the old browser back, it still shit the new one. Have to use windows explorer cause files are missing.

Less features and more stability would be nice. Probably i just want to go back to 4.4

Nazlive wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:13 pm I just want the old browser back, it still shit the new one. Have to use windows explorer cause files are missing.

Less features and more stability would be nice. Probably i just want to go back to 4.4
What sort of files are missing in the browser?
Bitwig, against the constitution.

I would like to have a clap plugin that can load and use Bigwig's internal devices/presets (including preset modulators). The plugin could be without any GUI but still could provide all parameters and assigned remote control pages.

This would be useful together with dawproject. When exporting a dawproject, the Bitwig devices would be part of it. And when loading the dawproject in any other daw that supports clap plugins, the patches would be loaded + automation would still work. When saving and exporting the dawproject from the other daw and loading back into Bitwig, Bitwig would load them as native devices again.

The other things are copy and paste between msgs and automation curve.

Live sampling / looping devices (for audio and notes)
Live sampling/ looping modulators (recordable mseg)

Some way of doing device snapshots + randomization + being able to automate such kind of state switches in the timeline / launcher.

Adjusting tempo automation towards the tempo variation of a free recording. Dragging of grid lines for creating tempo automation. (this in combination with video support! for adjusting tempo to video)

Better support for working with bwscene files. (Playback not stopping when previewing them, being able to preview them without some sub-clips stopping after one loop while longer sub-clips keep playing, consider free automation loops if max sub-clips length is shorter)
Last edited by u-u-u on Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

a way to "bake in" modulation amounts (remove modulation assignment, current value + mod amount as new value)

BobDog wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:28 pm
Nazlive wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:13 pm I just want the old browser back, it still shit the new one. Have to use windows explorer cause files are missing.

What sort of files are missing in the browser?
just a few wav samples loops that suddenly dissapeared from the folder after being there. But i was a few minor versions behind so might be already fixed or can be windows related as well not sure.

But i downloaded 4.4 and opened that plugin browser and i think that fits more with the fast and fluid, intuitive workflow that bitwig has. Sadly my 4.4 was bitwig 16 track and im now on producer license for 5, so i have to go illegal or trade my license perhaps.

Retrospective record because I'm feeling optimistic
A well-behaved signature.

The more I have used 'find similar sound' in a browser/rack device the more I think this will start to become an essential next gen feature...it would be ideal with Bitwig workflow (most DAWS to be honest) and I suspect it is one we will see eventually.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:14 pm The more I have used 'find similar sound' in a browser/rack device the more I think this will start to become an essential next gen feature...it would be ideal with Bitwig workflow (most DAWS to be honest) and I suspect it is one we will see eventually.
Yea this is specifically awesome in XlnAudio XO, and Algonauth Atlas2!
Having a visual map of all similar sound samples is awesome,
And having the ability to immediately swap samples based on similarity, not only for Clips, but also for Drum Machine Slots!
In Atlas2, there’s also a random button to automatically fill all (or just selected) Drum Slots with similar sounds - creating totally new drumkits within milliseconds.

Concerning samples, sample import, sample detection: i really hope Bitwig will some day be as good as Serato or Traktor for that.
Bitwig still lacks a really good transient detection, and that’s something incredibly essential. Also a really good bpm detection, automatic stretching with correct values, better sounding stretch algos.. scale detection, pitch detection... There’s a lot of room to grow in that realm.

Return to “Bitwig”