Insert or send?

Official support for: artsacoustic.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Since AAR has neat and shiny dry/wet controls, I cannot see the need for using AAR as a send effect, unless you have a CPU intensive project (which for me, Cubases Freeze takes care of).

Even though I've been writing and recording music for many many years as a pure hobbyist, there are tons of things I don't know on this subject, so I could be dead wrong in my assumption.

How does anyone else use AAR? If I am correct in my assumption, I'll add to the wishlist thread a global setting for dry/wet so I don't need to dial the controls every time I use AAR as a new insert.
Brought to you by The Letter Z

Z wrote:Since AAR has neat and shiny dry/wet controls, I cannot see the need for using AAR as a send effect, unless you have a CPU intensive project (which for me, Cubases Freeze takes care of).
thats it:
why freeze if you don`t have to? ;)
Z wrote:Even though I've been writing and recording music for many many years as a pure hobbyist, there are tons of things I don't know on this subject, so I could be dead wrong in my assumption.
well, reverb is mostly (though not allways) used as a send effect. the reason for that has many issues.
just to name 2 of them:
if you make music, the following situation mostly occures:
you end up with a more or less (mostly more) filled up frequency range in the song. every signal you add mostly sits somewhere between 20hz and 22khz. if you add reverb to many signals, simply the same happens.
so mostly 2-3 different room characteristics are mostly enough for a song.
the second reason is very common to the first reason, but i explain that _very_ simplified:
the human ear cannot really identify more than 2-3 roomcharacteristics at a time, simply because it is not happening in nature.
you are allways in only one type of room, so you hear the different signals from where _you_ are.
this influences the_way_ you hear the original signals greatly.
considering you are in a big hangar, and a car drives outside, you won`t hear the car in it`s own room spectrum to the biggest degree, but the room spectrum of where you are (the hangar).the sound has to "come to you" in order for you to hear it. by that it passes along the way, ending up in the location you are, so the signal gets an addon by the roomcharacteristic of your location.
so that again leads to the fact that mostly 2-max3 roomcharacteristics can be identified at a time by the listener.
that (and other reasons too, like most people simply couldn`t afford more than 2-3 reverb hardware units)
was leading to the common technique to use reverb as a send effect.
if you i.e. want to give a drumset a room, you`d end up with 8-10 insert reverbs. considering that a drumset sounds more natural you want to apply the _same_ room characteristic to the whole set.
but in order to apply the _same_ room with individual amount to the individual drum units, you`d do it with _one_ reverb unit and different _send_ levels that feed this single reverb unit.
voila, only one reverb unit used, 8-10 tracks have the same room characteristics, but with different reverb levels.
Z wrote:How does anyone else use AAR? If I am correct in my assumption, I'll add to the wishlist thread a global setting for dry/wet so I don't need to dial the controls every time I use AAR as a new insert.
you can allready do this.
just activate "ignore dry/wet on preset load" on the setup page.
you can browse through the presets or instanciate new instances of the reverb easily, no need to tweak the levels.
however, especially as an insert you won`t get around tweaking at least the output levelslider, as this slider determines how much reverb is added to your dry signal.
hope that helps :)
Kind regards, Nick at ArtsAcoustic

Return to “Arts Acoustic”