Plugin request: MIDI to NOTE-ON/OFF for XYZ controllers

Official support for: thepiz.org
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi!

I have a concept of a MIDI plugin for XYZ controllers (touchpad/IR). It works like this:

If i put my hand above the Z axis (up-down) of the infrared controller, and i'll constantly bring it closer to the sensor then it'll triger just one NOTE-ON command.
If i put my hand up, so it will recede from the sensor, then the NOTE-OFF command would be triggered.
The same is for touchpads - if i press it hard, above the threshold it will then trigger NOTE-ON. If i take of my finger and the cc value will drop below threshold, then trigger NOTE-OFF.

Detailed operating principles:

step 1:

if CC#77 >= 64 then send NOTE-ON A-4 (only once)

Every value greater or equal to 64 on CC#77 will trigger NOTE-ON command, but only once. Once the NOTE-ON is triggered then every other value between 64 to 127 will have no effect, so it will not trigger any more NOTE-ONs.

step 2:

if CC#77 < 64 then send NOTE-OFF A-4 (only once)

Every value smaller than 64 on CC#77 will trigger NOTE-OFF command, but only once. Once the NOTE-OFF command is triggered then every other value between 0 to 63 will have no effect, so it will not send more NOTE-OFF commands.

Of course CC number and value, NOTE value would be freely defineable. So you can choose 'CC#' between 1 to 127, 'Triggering threshold' betwen 0-127, and 'NOTE-ON/OFF' also between 0-127.

The reason for such plugin is simple: you take off one hand from the keyboard if you play live, so its free for doing something else (making crazy wizardry experiments?) I would even say it could be somekind of FX-instrument. Just wave your hand, it will play a note. Move it more around X or Y and it could change the PB, LFOs and other kind of crap.

Taking it the other way: it's just a simple plugin that triggers note-on/off. Using it for XYZ is just a subsidiary idea, because XYZ are just simple CC controllers. The problem is if you want to modulate some synths you must have one hand on the touchpad/ir and the second on the keyboard. Having such a plugin as described above could make things simpler. Assigning the Z axis (touch pressure/up-down) to NOTE-ON/OFF would make the performance more dynamic, beacuse you could then play note by one hand - the same hand used for modulation.

The idea could be even expanded: making a CC to NOTE-ON/OFF based on note-scale mapper. You could have then instant Korg Kaossilator on your laptop touchpad :P Try to imagine playing Alchemy with one hand, while simultaneously utilising all the axises to modulate dozens of parameters. You could make a theremin with this plugin in no time.

What do You think Piz? :hihi:

Return to “Insert Piz Here”