Can this work? (software crossover)

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I want to take a digital stereo input from my sound card and splice it to a stereo output on one device (a USB DAC) and a mono output on another device (onboard soundcard). How do I go about doing this? All the times I tried this the output to the onboard soundcard gets duplicated to the USB DAC. I'm trying to implement a software crossover so this wouldn't work. I was using a trial of Cantabile Performer, I understand that Lite wouldn't let me do this.
Brining n00bs to a studio near you

...in other words you want to route audio streams between different audio cards?

I guess Cantabile can not do this - and most other DAW software does not either.
Best regards, TiUser
...and keep on jamming...

Actually I have it working right now with the free VST Host called... VSTHost.

It used to glitch out on me for unfathomable reasons but seems to have cured itself in time for this new experiment for equally unfathomable reasons. :P
Brining n00bs to a studio near you

Well, what you want is technically not totally impossible.

Usually keeping the audio stream in sync with both out devices is a problem. Therefore professional gear has a separate clock line to sync all devices clocks.

I am working with an audio lib that can do things like you describe. However you need to be a programmer and even if it's not an easy job. I haven't tried/used the multi output approach myself and I am not aware how the lib implements this but I assume there is some stream duplication which will increase cpu load too.

Honestly, such things are much simpler to do analogue... that's maybe why we still see analogue outputs and inputs on digital gear and not everything has been digitalized.
Best regards, TiUser

Why not use multi output audio device? Why use audio card and on board card?

pinkcanaru wrote:Why not use multi output audio device? Why use audio card and on board card?
Well - that's the straight forward (professional?) approach, but it costs extra bucks and each time you need more channels you need to switch gear... combining sound cards you already have seems to be an alternative, if it would work... :-o
Best regards, TiUser

I'm assuming that anyone who is looking at controlling a x-over this way is fairly sophisticated should be able to stump for a multi out interface. I mean, laptop, software..... interface.

Return to “Topten Software”