How to stop clips being recorded into arrangement when recording a track?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

slackhead wrote:Is there a way to stop this behaviour?? I just want record a part down!
There is no way to stop it, its very annoying and it's one of my top 5 oldest requests... :roll:

It's especially bad since it is destructive if you have something on the arrangement track(s) already (Bitwig is supposed to support a hybrid workflow between the two, right?)
You can't for instance have a rhythmic loop running in a clip while recording a track to the arrangement without recording the loop as well...
Which is something I do often - I don't like metronomes.

Nothing else to do than keep sending FRs to support...

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Thanks Thomas - it's nice that someone understands :)
It's especially bad since it is destructive if you have something on the arrangement track(s) already
I noticed that just now. Appalling if you ask me.
Nothing else to do than keep sending FRs to support...
I've actually submitted a bug report on this, as recording a track when it is not armed can only be seen as buggy behaviour.

slackhead wrote:OK so Jammin into a clip might just work out alright.

But, is still doesn't answer my original question or deal with the fact Bitwig is recording on tracks without them being armed, which has got to be a huge big no no.
Its to record your jam so you dont have to arm each track.
desktop: windows 10 x64, i5 4690k, 32gb ram 1600mhz, 2x ssd 128 gb +2x3 tb, asus gtx 970, asus proz gamer motherboard, no external audiocard
laptop: windows 10 x64, i7 mq4700, 12gb ram 1600mhz, 1 tb, asus gt 750

it's just selecting the clip + copy + undo + paste and done (ctrl + c,z,v) , btw Ableton Live working exactly the same way
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote:it's just selecting the clip + copy + undo + paste and done (ctrl + c,z,v) , btw Ableton Live working exactly the same way
OK OK i know i can record into a clip and then use that. That's not the point!

slackhead wrote:
xbitz wrote:it's just selecting the clip + copy + undo + paste and done (ctrl + c,z,v) , btw Ableton Live working exactly the same way
OK OK i know i can record into a clip and then use that. That's not the point!
yes we understand its not the problem. but the problem is that there is no problem. Apple or orange. You want the record to behave diffrent and some others agree. However the cliplauncher recording system is built to record the jam. Those who want that kind of system will defently love that insteed. I hope you can manage to find this to a liking anyway since the only option you have is bitwig and ableton. And ableton live like he said works the same. Would be great to have ton of options in preferences on how bitwig should behave ^^
desktop: windows 10 x64, i5 4690k, 32gb ram 1600mhz, 2x ssd 128 gb +2x3 tb, asus gtx 970, asus proz gamer motherboard, no external audiocard

I simply hope I live to see the day when tracks that are not record enabled aren't recorded. :shrug:
I don't care how Ableton does it, I just think that it's completely illogical in Bitwig, where I can actually jump fluently between cliplauncher and arrangement per track.

The problem for me is, that there is absolutely no way to disable this behaviour.
All I want is a way to NOT record stuff I don't record-enable, so the easiest may be to make it a preference.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

ThomasHelzle wrote:I simply hope I live to see the day when tracks that are not record enabled aren't recorded. :shrug:
I don't care how Ableton does it, I just think that it's completely illogical in Bitwig, where I can actually jump fluently between cliplauncher and arrangement per track.

The problem for me is, that there is absolutely no way to disable this behaviour.
All I want is a way to NOT record stuff I don't record-enable, so the easiest may be to make it a preference.

Cheers,

Tom
Would be great to be able to change behavior in preferences. I dont have a problem with that. :) Myself i dont record my jams. Like you said before, it can become quite bothersome when want to record something and a clip in the launcher is active recording over the arranger. Sure we can undo it. But if it didnt behave like that we wouldnt either have to undo it. I would love to have the feature left though to be able to record, when i want that is. So a simple setup in preferences sure seems nice =) Making bitwig even more flexible than ableton

ThomasHelzle wrote:I simply hope I live to see the day when tracks that are not record enabled aren't recorded. :shrug:

Cheers,

Tom
Agree 100%. I sent an fr about this one many months ago. As Thomas said, we don't have to care how ableton does it, bitwig is a different daw so it can do things in different (and hopely better) way.

So yes pls add a preference or any other trick to disable that behavior, i want a really hybrid flow between clip launcher and arrangement without been forced to overwrite things i don't want to.

+ 1 on this functionality being frustrating. Its reminded me now why I didn't like ableton, BW seems to pride itself of flexible ways to work, an option that says don't record playing clips into arrange would be welcome!

I've long gotten used to this, but never learned to like it either. Conceptually I'd much prefer it if there was a separate button to enable recording of the launcher into the arranger, and I wish recording into and over clips in the launcher and the arranger worked the same way (i.e. without separate overdub buttons, no recording unless the global record button is active, and so on). Treating the launcher like an external recording source will always feel weird to me.

Coming from Ableton and using Bitwig on a daily basis since 2 years, i don’t get this Problem.

The whole point of record arm is: recording LIVE. Record Arm is only refering to Input sources, which are coming in LIVE. Playing Clips are no longer affected by Record Arm, as they are no live Input. However, the Launcher is, by definition, a Playground of performing (once live, now static) recordings. Disabling the ability to record the launched Clips into the Arranger would contradict the whole point of what a "Cliplauncher" is = A tool for Liveperformance. While the Timelines purpose is to record that performance.
And that recording of the launched Clips is necessarily independent from record arm, as record arm is by definition bound to Audio/Midi Sources coming in LIVE.

Imagine a typical hybrid live performance: Clips are being launched in the Launcher, WHILE an audio track is active to record a new Clip as part of the performance.
Now imagine instead of having just that Track record armed, ALL tracks would need to be record armed! What a mess that would be!

It's very easy: if you don’t want Clips to be recorded in the Timeline, Stop them.

A much bigger Problem i see in Bitwig is the fact that Live Recordings into the Cliplauncher do NOT get recorded into the Timeline, despite record into arrangement being active. Recording a clip into the Launcher will cause a gap of nothingness in the timeline... That s a fundamental problem for any live performer who wants to record his/her performance. It's a really big Blindspot of Bitwig, literally, and a gigantic PITA. Just like Undo/Redo being greyed out and being unusable while Record in Arranger is active. Both things work perfectly fine in Ableton and i hope Bitwig fixes them ASAP
I built a Looper for Bitwig! :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z5ywDo2bU0

As a Bitwig newbie I am having difficulty understanding what the problem is?

I have just recorded a short song into the clip launcher consisting of six clips of varying bar lengths,on six seperate tracks using VSTs as my sound source. My options from there are either to drag these clips onto the arrangement view - copy and rearrange them as scenes - or record each track live into an arrangement. So I decided to record each individual track live. So I disabled record in the clip launcher,and then hit the universal record button. Hit a clip button,lets say drums,and that individual track records onto its own track.Hit stop when enough bars have been recorded. Did the same for bass, synth etc. It recorded each track individually. So whats the problem?
Last edited by dellboy on Wed May 01, 2024 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dellboy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:26 pm As a Bitwig newbie I am having difficulty understanding what the problem is?

I have just recorded a short song into the clip launcher consisting of six clips of varying lengths using VSTs as my sound source. My options from there are either to drag these clips onto the arrangement view - copy and rearrange them as scenes - or record each track live into an arrangement. So I decided to record each individual track live. So I disabled record in the clip launcher,and then hit the universal record button. Hit a clip button,lets say drums,and that individual track records onto its own track.Hit stop when enough bars have been recorded. Did the same for bass, synth etc. It recorded each rack individually. So whats the problem?
There is no problem. :party:
Have fun making music :harp:
I built a Looper for Bitwig! :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z5ywDo2bU0

nowiamone wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:50 pm
dellboy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:26 pm As a Bitwig newbie I am having difficulty understanding what the problem is?

I have just recorded a short song into the clip launcher consisting of six clips of varying lengths using VSTs as my sound source. My options from there are either to drag these clips onto the arrangement view - copy and rearrange them as scenes - or record each track live into an arrangement. So I decided to record each individual track live. So I disabled record in the clip launcher,and then hit the universal record button. Hit a clip button,lets say drums,and that individual track records onto its own track.Hit stop when enough bars have been recorded. Did the same for bass, synth etc. It recorded each rack individually. So whats the problem?
There is no problem. :party:
Have fun making music :harp:
The penny has dropped,I think I can now see what the OP was complaining about way back in 2015. In Bitwig I can see no way to listen to the song playing in its entirety and simultaneously record individual tracks to audio. This can easily be achieved in Live. Its only just dawning on me that Bitwigs arranger is integrated into the whole scheme,whereas Live is two entirely seperate units. A clip launcher + a seperate arrange unit. Unless Bitwigs clip launcher can somehow be bussed to an audio track?

Return to “Bitwig”