UVI Falcon - hybrid instrument - version 3.01 released - rumors, ads, praise, mud wrestling and off-topic inside!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

paulmatthew wrote:Thanks guys! I initially dropped it into the keyboard at the bottom to get it to load up after adding the keygroup was suggested. But yes , I think I will start saving template patches for each one to make things easier. The manual seems very vague about getting started. It's mostly images and descriptions. I'm going to read the entire manual and dive into this instrument to get as much use out of it as possible.
It adds all the needed in-between layers etc. automatically, so I still think drag and drop on the keyboard is the fastest way?

Cheers,

Tom
Last edited by ThomasHelzle on Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Now that I see how this works , you almost have to look at it like working with Kontakt rather than a virtual synth . It is more of a synth workstation that can be used as a synth , sampler, instrument creator and Rex player all in one. In essence , it has many different functions which can be used to suit the user's needs.

ThomasHelzle wrote:@otristan Thanks for the overview.

Is there any information on how to work with surround sound?
- I can't get it activated in the VST version, the Configure menu is missing.
- I am unable to find how to surround-pan sounds in the standalone.
Is there any information on this?

Cheers,

Tom
You just need to create a surround track in your DAW and voila
There is no surround pan though

Hope this clarify things.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

paulmatthew wrote:Thanks guys! I initially dropped it into the keyboard at the bottom to get it to load up after adding the keygroup was suggested. But yes , I think I will start saving template patches for each one to make things easier. The manual seems very vague about getting started. It's mostly images and descriptions. I'm going to read the entire manual and dive into this instrument to get as much use out of it as possible.

here's a great Getting Started video by...(I assume) Dan Worral out now that helped me enormously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pw5mMFD4LE

Andy B

Cinebient wrote:Would be interesting if i could maybe modulate between layers. I mean f.e. that a lfo could modulate the volume or whatever between different layers or patches etc.
Then i would like to use f.e. 10 or more different samples per note and blend between them via an lfo or other modulation source..... oh damn, the only way to get all my answers seems to buy it... :o
I have the feeling i can´t resist.... :borg:
You can definitely modulate the volume of different layers either with an LFO or manually with a macro. Also, you can create a multi and stack various pre-existing patches (called programs) in there and modulate the volume of those from the mixer with an LFO essentially creating a pulse engine I guess. I just tried it. I don't immediately see how to do the same with a macro, but wouldn't want to say it isn't possible.

Greg Houston wrote:Also, you can create a multi and stack various pre-existing patches (called programs).
A bit like in Matrix 12V by Arturia?

Cinebient wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
Cinebient wrote:Next question... (sorry). Can i use reversed reverb like in Alchemy 2?
I saw now in the best service shop it will raise up to 375€ after intro. Now that 219€ (with voucher) sounds not bad.
This whole thing looks really like a whole DAW without sequencer :)
Falcon has a convolution reverb (no, it has 2 different ones), load reversed IRs or anything you would like to resonate, but there is no reverse switch in those modules.
O.k. thank you!
What i miss is a XY pad(s) or even morphing snapshots like Alchemy. Would be interesting if i could maybe modulate between layers. I mean f.e. that a lfo could modulate the volume or whatever between different layers or patches etc.
Then i would like to use f.e. 10 or more different samples per note and blend between them via an lfo or other modulation source..... oh damn, the only way to get all my answers seems to buy it... :o
I have the feeling i can´t resist.... :borg:
I ofte do this: use bi-directional Macros crossfading between layers, so turning the knob to the left will shift balance to Layer 1 and right->Layer 2, center->both. Tnen each layer can contain totally different sounds and sub layers/keygroups, of course you can also use LFOs for that.
In my last lib for M5 I asked my scripter Iain Morland to implement a snapshot system, where you can save/recall 5 snaps per patch, but it wasn't possible to morph between them, but maybe in the future this is scriptable somehow. On the other hand, you have Alchemy 2, so why bother too much.

w1awb wrote: here's a great Getting Started video by...(I assume) Dan Worral out now that helped me enormously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pw5mMFD4LE

Andy B
Ahh, now I see what it's all about :). It's pretty much a half-DAW on its own. A good term would be "hierarchical synth" I believe.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Numanoid wrote:
Greg Houston wrote:Also, you can create a multi and stack various pre-existing patches (called programs).
A bit like in Matrix 12V by Arturia?
I'm not familiar with Matrix 12V. Sorry.

otristan wrote:
ThomasHelzle wrote:@otristan Thanks for the overview.

Is there any information on how to work with surround sound?
- I can't get it activated in the VST version, the Configure menu is missing.
- I am unable to find how to surround-pan sounds in the standalone.
Is there any information on this?

Cheers,

Tom
You just need to create a surround track in your DAW and voila
There is no surround pan though

Hope this clarify things.
That is what I feared. I use Bitwig Studio which does not have surround tracks as such, but supports multiple outputs per VST and I use it for surround all the time, which is possible through it's very flexible routing system ( http://blog.thomashelzle.de/2015/02/sur ... io-part-1/ ) in version 1.2 this even has improved.
Any chance of having a manual selection like in the standalone?

Having no way to actually distribute and modulate sound in space makes the whole 10.2 surround business a bit useless I fear. Or how is this supposed to be used?
How do the factory patches like Experimental -> Contremy Bass that clearly shows more action on the center speaker (in the standalone) as opposed to the next preset in the folder that has nothing on Center work then?

The only surround enabled effect I found is the Gain Matrix, but that isn't much help...

Hm - I really hope this will improve in the future - Falcon could become a killer surround synth then.

Thanks and Cheers!

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

otristan wrote:- Wavetable now supports wavescanning with a "position" knob as well as different phase distortion algorithm.. Wavetables with multiple slices can be imported either using one channel per slice or by concatenating slices and tagging the filename with the wavetable period (for example: "MySaw_2048.wav").
So I was able to import some example Serum wave tables from Audio-Term into Falcon by renaming them with the _2048 tag. Nice.
Any other wavetable editors other than Serum and Audio-Term (the download link posted earlier is broken)?

Cheers,

Tom

Edit: Found another Link: http://dl.dropbox.com/s/1y0d88ts8zy1um7/Audio-Term.zip
Last edited by ThomasHelzle on Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XY pad would certainly be very cool to have as a modulator of sorts.

wagtunes wrote:I know this is going to sound incredibly mercenary (and honestly, I don't even care) but with all the synths I own, the only reason I ever buy a synth anymore is if I think it's going to be popular enough that 3rd party sound libraries to be potential big sellers.

How do you see this synth in that area? Omni did well for me so I don't think price will be too big a factor though I know this is out of the reach of some people. What about the company popularity? Is it on par with U-he, NI and Spectrasonics?

Spending $229 on something that I really don't need is foolish for me at this stage of my life unless there is the potential for ROI on it.

So what do you think? Is this going to be a niche synth or will it be popular with sound designers jumping all over it?
It should be possible to achieve a 100% ROI...think about tax deduction, resell value etc..:-)...

wagtunes wrote:Spending $229 on something that I really don't need is foolish for me at this stage of my life unless there is the potential for ROI on it.
The full price of the plug will be $349

UVI allows license transfers, a fee for the iLok transfer needs to be paid at $25

When the intro price period is over, I think users should be able to sell it at something like $250, in other words anybody who bought it at intro should be able to recoup their outlay if the plug wasn't what they wanted after all

otristan wrote:Hi all,

Thanks for your enthusiasm around Falcon, we’re very excited to hear what you create with it!

To MachFive3 owners, we hear you and understand.
We can’t comment just yet but please know that we’re working on something for you.
Expect concrete info early this next week.

Whatever the final form is, we’ll make sure it considers both users who have yet to purchase Falcon and those that already have.

Thanks,
Great news. Thanks for listening.

Return to “Instruments”