Here I go again: Melda vs. Sonible, Oeksund Soothe, Gullfoss?

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ou_Tis wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:39 pm How do you load that code as a preset in MSpectraldynamics? Tried saving as .xml but couldn't figure out how to load it. Do you need to copy and paste it into the presets xml file? Or is additional software required?... Would be great if you could add this to the online exchange.
You copy this code to clipboard then paste it directly in the plugin using toolbar on the righthand side.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
https://spektralisk.com/products | Sound libraries for: Massive X, Pigments, Vital, Razor, Kontour and more | Free sounds → Sound Flux

spektralisk wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:37 pm I'm considering buying Soothe but I have a dilemma since I already have MSpectralDynamics.

I was just comparing the two. My usual case is just removing resonances across whole spectrum so I didn't bother with multiband options on Soothe.

So for Soothe I set it up to remove across all frequencies, set sharpness to 8.7, selectivity to 3.0.

For MSpectralDynamics I made this preset:

Code: Select all

$eNqVlE1P4zAQhu-9Fdb0Co2d70hxEVsKQgJUEcTu1WqGxmpqF9tlKYf97au4DaoKSJBLpHkzM8+MX6c8e1215AWNlVpxYCMKBNVc11ItOGzc02kOZ+NBeVutce6MaC+2Sqzk3Fp0TqqFJUMODMjQCCc14xCPaJZkNC+KPEqBDKtGrPFW18ihet4IgzWQoW31Gjl0ul1p7RoOdERZSP0TZ2kOZOgag7bRbc06NaGM5VlIaRYDmWyMQeVmBi266wsO1RqXHZ20y39VVxAZkGktnTaVfEMOLE7Tk6QID6NTYbcc8rg4iYsCyI2w7tw5MV92-SKWhmGWpSll2U67xxaFRS9mCYuSKKNxtBcfelgOpywc+TkYi3xdqZaTRiiFrfW7utF6ed6gqC+wFVsOFMjNfbVupXPowRiHkLHkOBxySLrNVI3+O33eiFa+obkyYt34GpWscdIIqWZ91fdIhXOtamG2ew6vPvaHnidRQmMYl+dzJ19wt9V+x4exa-WkOcBn0p1YIYfLVjiHSqrFbs-duEHnHnRobDguf8vaNbfjstIbM0cyM-gkW4fGu41CMC6D-pOgTxqUi27GcTnTUjly2YqF-dWdaFf7Q7Ab21vqj7dNmAB5-eCf7XEk+Kx6l8j6j4soS+IoLnzTYEc0KCcb6-TKe9x2g74fC5nePc7up9X0gQOjfgnvFrn6ahzfcBRRRsOiKJI09c2P-PQlavyNzOAIYlD6987230c6uh4-QPqYGRwS7Hn2V+1HQIdX8mdAR5k7oB5hUAZf-fvsePAfzj+IuQ==
I then enclosed both in Ableton into instrument rack in parallel and set up macro for seamless switching between them. I tested them on some different resonant material and really differences were minor, even no audible to me in some cases. For all of audio sources I tested they both sounded almost the same. I noticed that MSD behaves like Soothe when you set up slope to +6dB so it's more sensitive towards high frequencies. In case there was a difference it was just a matter of adjusting the Threshold on MSD or Depth on Soothe. Optionally on MSD you can decrease Naturality to make it more brutal and adjust compression ratio.

Smoothness on MSD = Sharpness (inverted) on Soothe.

So anyway these are my observations. If you can, check the preset and let me know your thoughts (my comparison might not be accurate, so I'm curious).

For multiband you just need more work -> MXXX. I'm not sure how these will compare CPU wise in this case as well as latency.
Thank you for your hard work. Could you please help and guide me to recreate the highly regarded soothe's "vocal mid-high rescue" preset?
Winner of 15th HOFA Xmas Mix Contest - 2024
2nd place winner of Boz Digital Labs Intl. Mix Contest - 2016

Wow, just found this thread because I was digging into Gullfoss. Now I'm in love with Mspectral dynamics... I remember I came to melda when looking for the ultimate noise reduction and MSpectralDynamics sounded best for me against all other demos, so I came to the melda bundles... So much fun to do dynamic things to the spectrum!!!

Hello there, I dig up the thread.
I'm demoing Teote, I have demoed Dseq and Gullfoss.
And I am considering using MSpectraldynamics, because I like Melda (use MDrummer and MTurboreverb, so being acustoimized to an interface/gui is good).
Still, I do have a concern : is MSpectralDynamics redundant ? I mean, I already have a very good compressor (U-He Presswerk). Even if I quite like the "all in one" concept, I wouldn't like to buy a full box in which I only use few things, and the thing is : does the spectral smart thing ala Gullfoss and Teote is really that good ? I'm quite convinced with Teote sound, but I feel like I don't have much control on settings and shaping my sound ; It looks more like a "press here and enjoy the magic". On the other hand, the learning curve of MSpectraldynamics seems quite long to understand.
Sorry my "question" was quite long.
Thank you for your insights

robisme wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:33 am Hello there, I dig up the thread.
And I am considering using MSpectraldynamics, because I like Melda (use MDrummer and MTurboreverb, so being acustoimized to an interface/gui is good).
Still, I do have a concern : is MSpectralDynamics redundant ? I mean, I already have a very good compressor (U-He Presswerk). Even if I quite like the "all in one" concept, I wouldn't like to buy a full box in which I only use few things, and the thing is : does the spectral smart thing ala Gullfoss and Teote is really that good ? I'm quite convinced with Teote sound, but I feel like I don't have much control on settings and shaping my sound ; It looks more like a "press here and enjoy the magic". On the other hand, the learning curve of MSpectraldynamics seems quite long to understand.
I don't know about the other products, so I can't comment on them, but MSD is very different from a normal compressor and you use for different reasons. MSD does have a learning curve, but it can do a lot of things. MSD can be used to duck insturments very transparently or reshape a sound like an EQ, but only during certain situations. IMO it is more of a special use case compared to a normal compressor, but it does things that can't be done any other way.

robisme wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:33 am Hello there, I dig up the thread.
TEOTE and Gullfoss are similar plugins while MSpectralDynamics is closer to something like Trackspacer, but with more controls. I wouldn't substitute one for the other.

Put TEOTE and Gullfoss on the master to improve final clarity.

Use MSpectralDynamics to create a spectral compressor to duck instruments which are clashing with each other. It's like a dynamic EQ which adjusts to different frequencies when they pass a threshold. There are other uses for MSpectralDynamics but they are generally way more niche.

Return to “MeldaProduction”