DrivenByMoss: Bitwig extension for many hardware controllers (version 23.2.1)

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Maschine

moss wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:34 pm
Mantras wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:33 am I have a question about the generic controller script.

If I have 2 controllers, one officially supported where I can navigate the "session box" with up-down-left-right buttons, to basically steer what tracks and clips are in focus by 8x8, and another controller with the generic script - is it possible to have the generic controller script to chain on to whatever the "session box" is set at by the official controller?

I hope you understand. For instance, by the generic script controlling pan, send or volume on whatever tracks is in the "focus" from the other controller.
You cannot combine them to create a larger grid if that is what you asking. But sure you can use both to e.g. edit on one the plugin, control volumes on a second and play on a third.
The aim is not to expand the grid, rather to just keep one controller operating the grid (officially supported), and the generic script to just operate on whatever the grid the officially supported controller have set.

From my days with Ableton using two different controllers would result in two different "focus groups", two different colored squares, where I would have to move the square on both controller to keep it at sync.

So my aim is using Bitwig with two controller but just have one controller as the master, deciding where the focus on the clips and tracks is, and the slave controller (generic midi script) to just modulate whatever the focus is set on by the other controller...

It's difficult to explain!

Mantras wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:50 am
moss wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:34 pm
Mantras wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:33 am I have a question about the generic controller script.

If I have 2 controllers, one officially supported where I can navigate the "session box" with up-down-left-right buttons, to basically steer what tracks and clips are in focus by 8x8, and another controller with the generic script - is it possible to have the generic controller script to chain on to whatever the "session box" is set at by the official controller?

I hope you understand. For instance, by the generic script controlling pan, send or volume on whatever tracks is in the "focus" from the other controller.
You cannot combine them to create a larger grid if that is what you asking. But sure you can use both to e.g. edit on one the plugin, control volumes on a second and play on a third.
The aim is not to expand the grid, rather to just keep one controller operating the grid (officially supported), and the generic script to just operate on whatever the grid the officially supported controller have set.

From my days with Ableton using two different controllers would result in two different "focus groups", two different colored squares, where I would have to move the square on both controller to keep it at sync.

So my aim is using Bitwig with two controller but just have one controller as the master, deciding where the focus on the clips and tracks is, and the slave controller (generic midi script) to just modulate whatever the focus is set on by the other controller...

It's difficult to explain!
I did 2 videos about this question a while ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA4JJsxIcUU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPjdhBtNNP0

Hi Sir

It seems the recording buttons on the latest akai fire script are acting different than expected. I am trying to record a clip with a 1 bar lead in before recording and its not working. I tried setting the various Flip modes in settings and it seems something is different. I saw no noticeable change for recording between clip or arranger. I do see overdub versus record changes if I select Flip arranger under transport settings. Can you please look at all these commands again? If I cant get a count it with the metronome on recording a clip it, Im back to using the mouse to record clips.

It also appears some sessions settings are missing from the manual

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
moss wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:00 pm
vjxyz wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:17 pm Hi Moss, I'm having a problem with my Launchkey 49 mk3 running on Bitwig 4 using Moss script 14.1.0, on Linux based on Ubuntu 21.04.

It's stuck like this:
Image https://imgur.com/RYDgIcx (https://imgur.com/RYDgIcx)
Image https://imgur.com/0Z5fwXK (https://imgur.com/0Z5fwXK)

I cannot access the session controls at all, and the buttons/faders/knobs don't work. I have tried reflashing the keyboard's firmware, and downgrading Bitwig, but no luck.

However when I connect it to my gf's pc running Bitwig 8-track and an older version of the script, it works as intended. Additionally it used to work as intended on my own PC just a few days ago, not sure what changed. Are there any further ways I could trouble this and try to get my Launchkey working again? Thank you.
Just tested it on Linux (latest Ubuntu Studio) and it works fine. Make sure that your firmware is really up to date. It should output 197 in the Javascript console when started.
Hi Moss, I had this problem happen again and I have realized something: The Launchkey 49 mk3 and Launchpad Pro mk3 are autodetected and work perfectly when I'm running kernel 5.11. However, when I use kernel 5.13 or 5.15, they are not autodetected, and the Launchkey Mk3 does not function. The Launchpad Pro will still work but I must add the controller in settings and assign the midi channels manually.

I guess I've stumbled on something here... as far as I can tell this forum is the best place for me to report to you. Is there any other channel in which I should be reporting a bug... or any further ways I should troubleshoot this? I am willing to help as much as I can.

EDIT: Running on Ubuntu 21.10 tested with kernels 5.11, 5.13, and 5.15. Launchkey mk3 firmware version 197.

EDIT: I have found a difference in the way my devices' midi channels are described in terminal when running `amidi -l`. Here it is:

In kernel 5.11:

Code: Select all (#)

vijay@AIO3:~$ amidi -l
Dir Device    Name
IO  hw:2,0,0  MPK mini play MIDI 1
IO  hw:5,0,0  Launchkey MK3 49 MIDI 1
IO  hw:5,0,1  Launchkey MK3 49 MIDI 2
IO  hw:6,0,0  CASIO USB-MIDI MIDI 1
IO  hw:7,0,0  Launchpad Pro MK3 MIDI 1
IO  hw:7,0,1  Launchpad Pro MK3 MIDI 2
IO  hw:7,0,2  Launchpad Pro MK3 MIDI 3

In kernel 5.13:

Dir Device    Name
IO  hw:3,0,0  MPK mini play MIDI 1
IO  hw:5,0,0  Launchkey MK3 49 LKMK3 MIDI Out
IO  hw:5,0,1  Launchkey MK3 49 LKMK3 DAW Out
IO  hw:7,0,0  Launchpad Pro MK3 LPProMK3 MIDI
IO  hw:7,0,1  Launchpad Pro MK3 LPProMK3 DIN
IO  hw:7,0,2  Launchpad Pro MK3 LPProMK3 DAW
For some reason the names of the midi channels have changed... could this be affecting how the script is functioning?

Thanks,
VJ

melodyz wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:50 pm It seems the recording buttons on the latest akai fire script are acting different than expected. I am trying to record a clip with a 1 bar lead in before recording and its not working. I tried setting the various Flip modes in settings and it seems something is different. I saw no noticeable change for recording between clip or arranger. I do see overdub versus record changes if I select Flip arranger under transport settings. Can you please look at all these commands again? If I cant get a count it with the metronome on recording a clip it, Im back to using the mouse to record clips.
Recording a clip like this works only via the pads (in session mode).
melodyz wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:50 pm It also appears some sessions settings are missing from the manual
Thanks! Just added them.

vjxyz wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:47 pm In kernel 5.13:

Code: Select all

Dir Device    Name
For some reason the names of the midi channels have changed... could this be affecting how the script is functioning?
Yes, absolutely. The detection works only via the names.
I added the new ones (also for the Launchpad). If you want to test it is already checked in on GitHub.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
vjxyz wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:47 pm
In kernel 5.11:

Dir Device    Name
IO  hw:2,0,0  MPK mini play MIDI 1
IO  hw:5,0,0  Launchkey MK3 49 MIDI 1
IO  hw:5,0,1  Launchkey MK3 49 MIDI 2
IO  hw:7,0,0  Launchpad Pro MK3 MIDI 1
IO  hw:7,0,1  Launchpad Pro MK3 MIDI 2
IO  hw:7,0,2  Launchpad Pro MK3 MIDI 3

In kernel 5.13:

Dir Device    Name

Thanks,
VJ
My buddy and I bisected the kernel tracking this down for his devices. He has a M-Audio Hammer 88 and a Push 2 which had detection stop working. He noted that the Push 2 'stays lit up' after closing Bitwig.

The way midi devices are named was systemically changed between the two aforementioned versions with the exception of devices that have quirks in the driver, such a Korg devices.

This is the relevant code section:
https://lore.kernel.org/all/20210226212 ... ics.co.uk/ (https://lore.kernel.org/all/20210226212617.24616-1-george@george-graphics.co.uk/)

I suspect multiple devices names will need to be updated. I submitted a PR on the Github repo.

I'm not sure how the detection works for Flexi.

Moss, just to inform you (but i guess you already know it): Note Input from the Novation Grid- Devices (Launchpad MK2 and Pro MK3 in my case) don´t work in the Beta. Everything else does, only Note mode is not working.

astartes wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:19 pm Moss, just to inform you (but i guess you already know it): Note Input from the Novation Grid- Devices (Launchpad MK2 and Pro MK3 in my case) don´t work in the Beta. Everything else does, only Note mode is not working.
The issue is solved in Beta 2 ;)

Hello. I have a question, if I want to use the Maschine JAM controller but without the Maschine software or any other Native Instruments software installed, will it work with your script in OSX?

Edit: I will answer my own question. It is possible as long using the free controller editor.
Last edited by Mantras on Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

moss wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:28 pm
blindekinder wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:45 pm
moss wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:31 pm
blindekinder wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:25 pm Hi!
A big issue with Bitwig on Linux is that there are no Jack or Alsa Midi Clients, so impossible to connect to other softs...
I'd like to use OSC, but how do I set the virtual midi port, as said in the doc?
Choose any MIDI input you do not need (I know it is stupid but the only way to get MIDI into Bitwig).
That is the point: I have no MIDI client within Bitwig as long as I don't connect any device. And on this project I have no device handy...
Did a quick search, e.g. here is a little tutorial how to get virtual ports: https://github.com/anton-k/linux-audio- ... al-midi.md
Ok, it seems to work, I can see the virtual device within bitwig... but still, Bitwig should provide alsa/jack MIDI ports, don't you think?
Thank you for your work and your help!!

Hi Jurgen, I'm trying to assign bitwig UI functions to a korg nanokontrol 2 controller but when I open the list of all possible actions / assignments there are far too many for my monitor to display (1080p) and can't see the ones I want to pick. Is there any workaround to this?

Hello Jürgen,
I have a problem: the knobs of my "Komplete Control S25 mk I" go twice as fast when turning them counter clockwise vs. turning them clockwise.

Not sure if this is the right place for this question. I just downloaded the latest version of Bitwig 4.07. I have a Maschine Mikro mk3.
I've installed the extension. Loaded the mcmm3 file in the NI control editor.
In Bitwig I added the Mikro in the controller section. Didn't come up automatically.
But almost nothing is working. The pads do not lightup and they do not work at all.
I can't figure out what is wrong. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Nevermind. I figured out my mistake. Now I have to learn how this all works. Very different than the Maschine software.
Last edited by Mark_H on Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrivenByMoss seems to immediately crash whenever using the "with/without previous channel" note occurrence operator on a note, even with nothing else in a project. All other operators, including other note occurrence operators, seem to work fine. The error is "No enum constant". This is with a Push 2 controller. Does anyone else have this problem?

Return to “Controller Scripting”