Any simple mods for lowering the noise floor of microphones?

...and how to do so...
jp008
KVRist
44 posts since 15 Oct, 2010

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:23 am

So I bought a pile of cheap microphones to have some fun with.. a couple of dynamics, a condenser and some type of crazy karaoke mic. Upon plugging them into my preamp, I jacked up the gain and you know the rest. Mmmmm.. delicious white noise.

Then I got to thinking again (dangerous in my case, believe it), WHAT IF instead of expecting a bunch of white noise when cranking up the gain on my preamp, I just solder a bunch of stuff between the mic capsule and the XLR output to see if I can lower the noise floor BEFORE plugging it into the preamp. Eureka !

Then I did and internet search and.. nothing. Amazing ! I think I found a diamond in the rough thinking of microphone designers throughout the ages.

That said, please post any possible simple 'noise floor lowering' microphone modifications ideas you might have, so I can keep myself busy. Thank you. :party:

Again, it doesn't have to be elaborate, just some simple stuff to try with 3 or 4 components. It's not like I could fit a big fancy circuit board into a microphone anyways. Duh?

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”