I am having a nightmare trying to set this up

I would like to enable all the separate outs from the trs8
with usb cable

but use my existing focus right audio device for audio output
is this possible
Windows 10
cheers
kev
BWS 5.0.6,Spark LE, V Collection 9.2 BS1 & BS PRO, KS & KS pro keylab 25, Axiom pro 49,Behringer UMC1820,LPP ProFx8 v2 Icon m+, KRK 10/3,win 10 pro,i7 5820k 4ghz ,16G ddr 4 1TB NVMe.M2 msi x99a sli + NV GF Gt710, Matrix Brute Roland TR8S

This should be possible. I'm on a Mac, but this is what I know so far:

Enable the TR8S as the input audio device and focusrite as the output. Create all the necessary mono channels for the input device. Mine looks like this (SC on channel 14 stands for Side Chain):
Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 09.13.59.png
Create audio channels for all instruments and be sure to enable monitoring on all tracks (orange speaker icon)
Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 09.15.49.png
or you won't hear anything. I created a template with all the channels grouped that looks like this:
Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 09.17.13.png

When I need the USB audio from the tr8s in a project I am working on, I also open this template and drag this group into my project.

Sometimes I combine the inputs and outputs in aggregate devices. im not sure what the windows equivalent is (and if there even is such an option) but if there is, beware that (at least on a Mac) in Bitwig the input and output must be the same in the case of aggregate devices.

Hope this helps

PS be aware you also need to sync your DAW with the TR8S. I send sync clock to my tr8s with some negative delay to make the audio sync with my plugins (PS a positive offset here means the clock is sent early, that's what I call a "negative delay")
Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 09.35.38.png
But there is quite some jitter there (which means the clock tempo fluctuates a bit) which can be solved but that either involves pricy bits of hardware (sync boxes) or manual adjustments of the recorded audio. My current workflow is as follows:

1 Enable tr8s usb audio, sync the TR8S to bitwig and create nice beats and melodies with my plugins
2 Stop the sync and start record in Bitwig (enable record on all TR8S channels). I record in arrangement view for better overview.
3 Manually start the tr8s with the same BPM. This means there is no jitter, but audio might be slightly late or early, depending on when pressed start on the TR8S. But at least this offset it consistent throughout all audio, so afterwards it just a matter of...
4 ...moving all audio to line up in Bitwig.

Ideally I would not record/bounce the Tr8S so you can keep the flexibility and hands on control of the TR8S while composing, but getting the TR8S to sync up (without a sync box, I don't have that) was such a hassle that I gave up.

PS2 a 5th step I often use is to record the midi data from the TR8S and replace all sounds with (round robin) samples I have created from my tr8s (or any sample pack you might have). This way you regain some flexibility.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HI M-prod
thanks for your help.
I think windows may be different, I can get as far as setting the trs8 as the audio device in BW. And turning on usb audio to individual in the trs8 settings.
and enabling the audio tracks, and yes they are playing as I can see the input fader leds light up
but I just don't get any sound. Its as if the audio is not being passed to my focusright (main sound card )
also if I add a vst ( miniV ) or my MxB I get no sound from anything.

So I don't know if what im trying to do is possible

In a nutshell
1.) I want separate inputs from the trs8 ( done ) but have to have the trs8 as the audio device setup in Bw
2.) I get no sound, but channel strips are showing input
3.) Have the trs8 sounds playing, at the same time as jamming along with my Mxb. ( Mxb audio is plugged in to the focurite )
but because I am using the trs8 as audio device and not focusrite I don't get any sound from it
4.) have any vst's playing at the same time
5.) so it looks like it to me that I cant use both audio devices at the same time ?

I am down to my last headache pill, after spending 5 hours on this
so I hope someone can give me a definitive answer

cheers
kev
BWS 5.0.6,Spark LE, V Collection 9.2 BS1 & BS PRO, KS & KS pro keylab 25, Axiom pro 49,Behringer UMC1820,LPP ProFx8 v2 Icon m+, KRK 10/3,win 10 pro,i7 5820k 4ghz ,16G ddr 4 1TB NVMe.M2 msi x99a sli + NV GF Gt710, Matrix Brute Roland TR8S

I think in windows if you set your TR8S as the audio device, you are gonna need to use it's outputs to get sound, if you set the focusrite as the audio device then you're gonna get the sound out from there... if you want to combine input/outputs from different sources I would recommend you check ASIO4ALL, the UI is a bit weird but you can select inputs/outputs from different devices and use them together.

HELPPPPPP im going mad with this
I now have sound from the trs8 (separate usb )
going in to BW. but BW faders have no effect, I can only adjust volume from each track
from the trs8 with the trs8 faders.

iv only had this trs8 3 days and im already to smash it with a hammer

cheers
kev

Could you share more details, maybe a screen shot of your track and audio setting too? I'm not sure what would cause this so taking a look might help.
PS asio4all is definitely recommended. Is that how you got the audio to work in the first place?

Hey Kev,

Did you ever manage to get the TR8S working properly with Bitwig? I love Bitwig but I absolutely hate trying to connect anything to it, its bloody awful from a controller perspective. Having to rely on people writing scripts for it is just a joke really.
Im loathe to buy any more controllers unless I know it works fully with Bitwig out of the box without having to spend 3 weeks setting it up. Did you have any joy in the end?

Cheers

I’m on a MacBook Air M1 and use a TR-8S successfully. I’ve created an aggregate device for use within Bitwig, two soundcards, an iPad and the TR-8S. Remember that you also have to setup the TR-8S to send to the individual USB outs. Within Bitwig I created the separate busses too and grouped them together.

Return to “Bitwig”