Automation Lock and tempo changes

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Waveform Pro

I have a project with thousands of automation points set.
I now need to make several tempo changes, but despite having "Auto Lock" ON, the automation curves stay static, whilst the clips move in sympathy with the new tempos set.
Auto Lock is working in as far as, if I manually move a clip, the automation is moved with it, but it doesn't move with the clip when I change the tempo.

So, how do you "glue" the automation curves to the tracks/clips to make tempo changes?

That's a good question. My experience has been that tempo automation isn't fully "integrated" with other features. If I automate tempos, grid snapping doesn't work so well, inserting space messes up midi/step clips (I think by moving their position but not their content), etc. I wouldn't be surprised if this behavior is related.

I've not tried any tempo automation, all my tempo changes will be manually changed on the Tempo Track.
It could well be the same cause as the tempo automation bug you describe, as I've come across serious tempo/time signature bugs in relation to copying/moving/exporting midi clips (especially when the piece is not in 4/4).
The automation points/curves i'm referring to in my problem, are only ones controlling the plug-in values (e.g. volume, pan).

THE PROBLEM IS VERY EASY TO REPLICATE
---------------------------------------------------
1. Create a new project and add a clip (audio or midi) to Track 1 (with the Start of clip at bar 2).
2. Put an automation point at the beginning of the clip (bar 2).
3. Change the tempo.
... The start of the clip remains at bar 2, but the automation point has moved. (Same result if Auto Lock is ON or OFF.)

I've just worked out that you need to select the clip's option "Remap on Tempo Change".

So this is still an issue in 2023?!
Come on! Every time I think I can make Waveform my main DAW, some stupid trouble occurs.
Waveform 12 Pro, Cubase Pro 13, Windows 11, i7-13700H

Al_Mo wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:09 pm I've just worked out that you need to select the clip's option "Remap on Tempo Change".
Agree. This seems to work most of the times for me, except for audio clips, which need to have auto-tempo/auto-pitch enabled for tempo changes to work properly.

Remap on Tempo Change doesn't move the automation lanes for me. They stay on the same spot; they don't change with tempo changes.
Waveform 12 Pro, Cubase Pro 13, Windows 11, i7-13700H

Al_Mo wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:09 pm I've just worked out that you need to select the clip's option "Remap on Tempo Change".
Looks like you also need to enable "Remap on Tempo Change" on the plugin whose parameters are being automated. That's what I was missing in my case.

I also noticed there's a setting in Settings > General > Tempo Change Remapping, where Remap Plugin Automation was disabled. Enabling it didn't fix the issue for me - but I think enabling this means that every plugin instance from now on will have "Remap on Tempo Change" enabled on the plugin... hopefully someone can confirm.

Return to “Tracktion”