New EQ:

Saturator:

Updated Arpeggiator:

New modes for Selector containers:

Mini displays for inserts in the Mix panel:

Return channels added to Drum Machine:

Few new Grid modules:

Tool finally goes to zero :wheee: :hail:
Last edited by antic604 on Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

^^^ :tu:

Changes in Bitwig Studio 3.2, Beta 1

NEW DEVICE: EQ+ (EQ)
EQ driven by new algorithms and a unique style of graphic interface
14 filter mode types for each band
Global frequency Shift and Gain controls for moving all bands together
Adaptive-Q option, narrowing the Q of bands as their gain increases
Clicking on the EQ curve creates a new band (eight bands max)
Clicking on the selected band's audition target soloes that band while the mouse/touch is held
Numeric controls for the selected band are shown (with all bands displayed in the Inspector)
Expanded Device View for large/detachable version of the graphical editor (with all bands displayed in the Device Panel)
EQ curve is shown on a rainbow spectrum, with each band's color set by its frequency [Note: other devices also use this spectrum for frequency controls]

NEW DEVICE: SATURATOR (DESTRUCTION)
Unique signal shaper that works in the log domain (like us )
Basic panel interface with transfer function display, Drive amount, Normalize option, and low-pass controls for just saturated portion of the signal
Expanded curve editor that provides:
Quiet and loud Threshold settings, to define each end of the sound
Quiet and loud Amount settings, controlling how the signal is proportionately changed beyond each Threshold
Quiet and loud Knee settings, for how gradual each transition is
Three Skew controls, for making the loud Threshold, Amount, and Knee controls apply differently to positive and negative amplitudes
An interactive log display of these controls and the incoming signal
New Grid module: Saturator (Shaper) - module version of the device, allowing for polyphonic applications in The Grid

UPDATED DEVICE: ARPEGGIATOR (NOTE FX)
Each step now has a pitch offset slider (in addition to the velocity and note length controls)
New Humanize parameter randomizes velocities and step start times and lengths (either earlier or later)
Nine new Pattern options, for 17 in total
Rate can now be set in milliseconds
Micro-pitch expressions are now tracked for each note
Poly Pressure to Velocity option replaces initial note velocities with any polyphonic pressure message (like those from MPE controllers) received
Added option to Allow Overlapping Notes
Trigger Immediately option allows notes to start off the beat grid

UPDATED DEVICES: SELECTORS (CONTAINER) GET VOICE MODES
Instrument Selector, Note FX Selector, and audio FX Selector now have voice modes in the Inspector for cycling thru the available layers in various ways
Modes (and example uses) include:
Manual (same as the current behavior) - Target layer is set by user, controller, modulator, and/or automation
Round-robin - New note triggers the next layer (for notes in series, or individual notes within a chord)
Free Voice - New note uses the first free layer (ideal for loading multiple layers with HW CV Instrument to create polyphony with Eurorack hardware)
Random - New note randomly selects a layer (nice with a pile of different audio FX)
Keyswitches - Designated notes set the target layer (you define the lowest keyswitch; so if set to note C2 and the Selector has 3 layers, C2 switches to layer 1, C#2 switches to layer two, and D2 switches to layer 3). Good for film scoring with different sounds and articulations.
CC - Designated continuous controller sets target layer (you define a continuous controller [default CC1 - mod wheel], whose full range will morph evenly thru all layers). For example, using mod wheel to cycle thru various note FX.
Program Change - PC messages set the target layer (program change messages map directly to each layer). Common output from pedal controllers, etc.
Other than Manual, all other modes are aware of the layer count. So adding or removing layers will just work without additional configuration.

DELAY OPTIONS, FOR EVOLVING SOUNDS
New device: Note Delay, to delay an entire device chain/layer either in beats or seconds
ADSR, AHDSR & Note Sidechain modulators: now have a Pre-delay option for delaying their start either in beats or seconds
New Grid module: Logic Delay (Logic), for delaying the high- or low-logic portion of gate signals
New modulator: AHD on Release (Envelope), a triggered envelope that launches at note off

OTHER NEW FEATURES
New Grid module: XP (Filter) - a modulatable filter with key tracking and 15 modes, including combos
New Grid module: Array (Data) - a recordable sequencer, for keeping track of up to 1024 events, notes, velocities, or anything else
New Grid module: N-Latch (Logic) - tracks the last trigger received from up to eight inputs, for an exclusive solo-type relationship
Frequency parameters (particularly filter and tuning settings) are now consistently colored with a rainbow spectrum, to help form sonic muscle memory. This is used by at least one parameter in the following:
Instruments: E-Clap, E-Cowbell, E-Kick, E-Snare, E-Tom, FM-4, Phase-4, Polysynth, Sampler
FX: Chorus, Comb, De-Esser, EQ+, EQ-2, EQ-5, Filter, Ladder, Phaser, Resonator Bank, Ring-Mod, Test Tone
Modulators: Audio Rate, HW CV In
Mixer View now has mini displays of various devices, showing EQ curves (for EQ+, EQ-5, and EQ-2) or gain reduction amounts (for Compressor, De-Esser, Dynamics, Gate, and Peak Limiter)
Drum Machine device: now supports internal audio returns
In The Grid : dropping a sample into a Grid patch creates a Sampler module with that audio

IMPROVEMENTS
Drum Machine device: drum cells now swap when dragged on top of each other
EQ-5 and EQ+ devices: spectrum analyzers now have Resolution and fall Speed controls
Spectrum device & Grid module: now have Resolution, fall Speed, Tilt, Scale, Range, and drawing Style controls
Tool device: now has an additional Volume control that bottoms out at silence
Steps (Data) Grid module - new Interpolation option, for crossfading between step values; also a great way to create a lookup table
AD (Envelope) Grid module - new Looping option, to repeat the envelope if the gate signal (often the key) is still held down when the envelope completes
Audio engine: better parameter automation for VST2 and VST3 plug-ins (they now update at least every 64 samples)
When dragging multiple notes, small chords (up to four notes) will preview all notes; larger chords will sound only the note clicked on
When moving multiple notes with the keyboard, only the earliest note will sound
The left/right edge of the clip's loop region can be dragged in the Detail Editor Panel (even when the edge is offscreen)
Note and clip stretching targets (left and right edges) are a bit wider
Both Arranger clips and cue markers can now be renamed with the standard command
User files can be renamed within the Browser Panel
Time selections display their length in minutes and seconds in the Inspector Panel
New preference for whether clicking a mixer solo button should disable all other solos ("exclusive solo") or not. Shift-click performs the inverse behavior.
New preference for whether middle mouse button drags will just pan in note editors, or pan and zoom
ControlSurface API version 11:
Hardware controllers using the new API now have sub-buffer accuracy and no jitter when controlling parameters
Manual MIDI mappings in a project now have lower latency, sub-sample accuracy, and no jitter when controlling parameters
Now possible to map controls to MIDI pitch bend messages
Ability to choose between physical or logical knob/slider for a mapping in mapping browser
Ability to decide if a MIDI note mapping applies always or only when it is used for note input

FIXES
Instrument Selector device: playing the same notes on different channels created stuck notes
Fixed ghost note with some plug-ins when overlapping notes where played
Fixed incorrect value on polyphonically modulated indexed controls
Ignore mapping low level MIDI events that we detect are used for touch or release of a control
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Many cool features for sure. Mixing / sound designing in Bitwig is amazing.

Very nice update, looking forward to try it!

No mention of MIDI CC out from VST3 :(
Music tech enthusiast

New preference for whether clicking a mixer solo button should disable all other solos ("exclusive solo") or not. Shift-click performs the inverse behavior.
New preference for whether middle mouse button drags will just pan in note editors, or pan and zoom
After seeing this, I didn't think twice and just bought Bitwig lol.
Only thing I'm missing is the ability to stretch selected notes within the time range.

When dragging multiple notes, small chords (up to four notes) will preview all notes; larger chords will sound only the note clicked on
Tool device: now has an additional Volume control that bottoms out at silence
Small things, but will make a lot of people happy :)

EDIT: one such person right above my post :D
Last edited by antic604 on Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music tech enthusiast

lokanchung wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:12 pmOnly thing I'm missing is the ability to stretch selected notes within the time range.
You can box-select (tool '1') several notes and then stretching one of them will stretch all of them.
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:14 pm
lokanchung wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:12 pmOnly thing I'm missing is the ability to stretch selected notes within the time range.
You can box-select (tool '1') several notes and then stretching one of them will stretch all of them.
Isn't it about the individual length? I meant the notes as a whole like time stretch
Last edited by lokanchung on Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nice ! there's a couple features that have been asked for a long time... I think the saturator and the new selectors options are the best ones! :D

No shortcut key for VSTi :(

keel wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:20 pm No shortcut key for VSTi :(
What is it supposed to be?

antic604 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:05 pm No mention of MIDI CC out from VST3 :(
I really hope they will implement this soon. I guess you want it for the same Reason (Rack Plugin) as I do :)
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

Finally the width of menu items is sane again :D

lokanchung wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:15 pmIsn't it about the individual length? I meant the notes as a whole like time stretch
Yes, I thought that's what you meant :(
I guess we'll have to wait until 3.3 for this...
Music tech enthusiast

Return to “Bitwig”