Sampler ping-pong loop goes slightly flat in reverse

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Has anyone noticed that when playing a sample back in reverse, it's a little flat? I noticed this in the ping-pong loop mode in the Sampler because the back and forth made the pitch change more noticeable. I don't think it's a bug, just an acoustic phenomenon. Does anyone know what causes this?

I just realized I left out an important bit of info. This occurs in Cycles mode only as far as I can tell. It's also more pronounced as the Speed control is increased.

what is the sample you are hearing this on?

PhilipVasta wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:19 pm I just realized I left out an important bit of info. This occurs in Cycles mode only as far as I can tell. It's also more pronounced as the Speed control is increased.
Oh, so maybe it's because the 'wavetable' is still played forward, but the playhead moves backwards? Just guessing :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

That's an interesting guess, I hadn't thought of that. I'm a bit surprised that no one has had a question about this before!

If the sample is of an acoustic instrument, it makes plenty of sense that the tail end of the sample would be flatter than the front end.

I agree, but I don't necessarily think that's what's going on here... I'll post a clip or something when I get th chance.

ihearanewworld wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:15 pm If the sample is of an acoustic instrument, it makes plenty of sense that the tail end of the sample would be flatter than the front end.
Well... I think you're right. I played around with it and it's *not* wavering in pitch in everything. And I think the issue is, like you suggested, acoustic samples going a tad flat. I guess I've mostly used the Cycles mode in that context so that's why I was consistently getting those results. Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

Return to “Bitwig”