[solved] Is anyone else having dialog.64 issues?

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think menus just broke on me. I can't select any menu items presented by dialog.64. This includes GUI-scaling, changing presets from a single-click on the info window, loading modules in Zebra, etc. The dialog menu appears, but won't commit on click, or keyboard Enter.

The save-preset dialog appears to work. It'll create a new preset as named and save the author, plus description.
However, when you view the newly created preset from dialog.64, an error/alert can be seen on the same line as the newly created preset: "WINDOW DECORATIONS RELOADED"

I believe an upgrade to xorg may have done this to me, but I'm not sure. Anyone else?
Here's my xorg environment:

Code: Select all

X.Org X Server 1.20.10
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System:  5.7.11-200.fc32.x86_64 
Current Operating System: Linux FC33 5.9.16-200.fc33.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Dec 21 14:08:22 UTC 2020 x86_64
Build Date: 02 December 2020  12:00:00AM
Build ID: xorg-x11-server 1.20.10-1.fc33 
Current version of pixman: 0.40.0
Also, nvidia driver 455.45.01 and OpenGL 4.6.0.
Last edited by lunardigs on Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lunardings,
I'm sorry you're getting no answer, so I write something, even if actually it's to tell you that
WorksForMe(TM).
I've tried it first on my daily work Ubuntustudio 20.04 with success.
For music I'm now using Manjaro 20.2.1 and latest builds are working for me. I can change screen resolution and search for presets, even if I hate that little window where I have to write, I can load modules... Is there any test I can conduct for you?
Xorg log looks identical and Nvidia driver is the same,
Probably hardware is different. I'm on a laptop Asus GL552VW, i7-6700HQ, NVidia GTX960M, 16gb Ram
I'm using Plasma (KDE).
I'm at your disposal,
Fabrizio

lunardigs wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:28 am I believe an upgrade to xorg may have done this to me, but I'm not sure. Anyone else?
This topic has some tips:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/247549/ ... ll-command

In the meantime,

/var/apt/log

folder has installation history entries you can check.
If you can find the villains, it should be easy enough to revert.
I often advise people to use the synaptic prefs option to
'store downloaded files in the cache' ( /var/cache/apt/archives )
to make such efforts easier. In synaptic, right-click an entry of need,
and note it's 'dependencies'. If lucky, they won't have changed much.
This topic shows an easy way to revert, when you have the .deb files at hand:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/414017/ ... using-dpkg

example log entries below (note the second one is an 'unattended upgrade' :x )
I thought I had that turned off :dog: Might explain some of the oddities I've
waded thru out here in the monsoons :scared: :lol:

Start-Date: 2021-01-04 02:45:24
Commandline: synaptic
Requested-By: me (1000)
Upgrade: wine-staging-i386:i386 (6.0~rc4~focal, 6.0~rc5~focal), whysynth:amd64 (20090403-1.2build1, 5:20170701-1kxstudio2), wine-staging:amd64 (6.0~rc4~focal, 6.0~rc5~focal), wine-staging-amd64:amd64 (6.0~rc4~focal, 6.0~rc5~focal)
End-Date: 2021-01-04 02:46:45

Start-Date: 2021-01-08 16:32:47
Commandline: /usr/bin/unattended-upgrade
Upgrade: flashplugin-installer:amd64 (32.0.0.465ubuntu0.20.04.1, 32.0.0.465ubuntu0.20.04.2)
End-Date: 2021-01-08 16:32:55

Plenty of search engine hits out there, many have passed this way before.
I've also got the T-shirt, and it didn't come from NAMM :hihi:

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I appreciate the help.
Apparently, something can go wrong from within a user's home folder, and or desktop config (KDE Plasma in this case) which can cause dialog.64 to act like this.
Basically, when I created a new user on my system and tested U-he plugins from there, they worked. :? That said, I haven't yet identified the offending thing, be it a config file or otherwise.
Nonetheless, this rules out my current package versions. It may still be an upgrade which led to this, but it's not by fault of any package alone. Perhaps and upgrade script? Perhaps it's because my home folder is as old as 2016? Not sure.
Anyway, I think this solves it. If worse comes to worse, I'll make a new user and migrate. Not a bad thing, as it'll force me to clean up my home folder. :lol:

By the way, can someone tell me how to update the title of this thread? I don't see an option to do so anywhere.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
I had this issue, too.
Thank you for providing the hints to dialog.64 and providing the information that it's about a config file.
I had a close look at its linked libraries. I also found the hints in the Linux README regarding gtk/gdk (in the context of another issue).

After browsing my config files, I decided to delete my gtk-config files:

Code: Select all (#)

cd .config
rm -rf gtk*

love-contemporary wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:18 am I had this issue, too.
Thank you for providing the hints to dialog.64 and providing the information that it's about a config file.
I had a close look at its linked libraries. I also found the hints in the Linux README regarding gtk/gdk (in the context of another issue).

After browsing my config files, I decided to delete my gtk-config files:

cd .config
rm -rf gtk*
Wow ... that was it. Thank you for chiming in!

The offending config file was ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini
The line was:

gtk-modules=colorreload-gtk-module:window-decorations-gtk-module
The default, which works is:

gtk-modules=colorreload-gtk-module
Hopefully someone at U-he will note this; the offending line was a theme setting, so ... probably we've found a bug. It may be a GTK bug at that rate, not sure.

By the way, I ultimately opted to clean my home folder, by creating a new user (skel) and renaming it to my user. Nevertheless, the real solution is above. Thanks love-contemporary. :tu:

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
It might be related to plasma changes:

https://kde.org/announcements/changelog ... 20.4-20.5/ (https://kde.org/announcements/changelogs/plasma/5/20.4-20.5/)
Set correct installation directory for kconf_update script. Commit.
Use only GTK Module for managing window decorations CSS. Commit. Fixes bug #428322. Fixes bug #428120. Fixes bug #428842
Last edited by love-contemporary on Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lunardigs wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:07 pm By the way, can someone tell me how to update the title of this thread? I don't see an option to do so anywhere.
Choose the edit option on your first post, and there will be your
subject title (under the big blue text) which can be edited, as it's a standard request in many forums to add 'solved' to the topic header when a satisfactory solution is discovered.
Cheers

glokraw wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:05 am
lunardigs wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:07 pm By the way, can someone tell me how to update the title of this thread? I don't see an option to do so anywhere.
Choose the edit option on your first post, and there will be your
subject title (under the big blue text) which can be edited, as it's a standard request in many forums to add 'solved' to the topic header when a satisfactory solution is discovered.
Cheers
Ahh ... Thanks :tu:
Goes to show how often I create new threads.

love-contemporary wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:41 am It might be related to plasma changes:

https://kde.org/announcements/changelog ... 20.4-20.5/

Set correct installation directory for kconf_update script. Commit.
Use only GTK Module for managing window decorations CSS. Commit. Fixes bug #428322. Fixes bug #428120. Fixes bug #428842
Hmm, thanks for sharing this.
I'm pretty sure my GTK theme was long set and then came a Plasma update. At which point, that single config line ended up breaking things like window decorations--not that I could tell--and modal-menus like dialog.64 ... weird.

Return to “u-he Linux support”