PS20 Patch Panel Tutorial

Official support for: cherryaudio.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm really interested in this synth, it's great value. But I cannot grasp the patch panel at all. It seems completely unintuitive to me. The website doesn't really have a good tutorial at all, are there any good instructional links? If not I'll have to give this one a miss I think.
Thanks

Have you tried generic Korg MS-20 tutorials like these:
https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/c ... _resource/

Understanding audio synthesis in general will help a lot especially subtractive synthesis and related modulation capabilities because all you're doing with the patch panel is working with sinal sources being sent into modulation targets.
Last edited by Koshdukai on Sun May 16, 2021 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GusGranite wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:13 pm Oldie but goodie https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrDD ... doaPbNXR35
Those videos don't work on this vst. I tried the sameple and hold patch and plugging the sqaure wave modulator into the clock does nothing.

The layout is absolutely dreadful on this thing

Koshdukai wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:58 pm Have you tried generic Korg MS-20 tutorials like these:
https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/c ... _resource/

Understanding audio synthesis in general will help a lot especially subtractive synthesis and related modulation capabilities because all you're doing with the patch panel is working with sinal sources being sent into modulation targets.
It's not synthesis that's the issue, it's the layout of the patch bay. It isn't remotely intuitive and cherry audio never bothers to write a manual

Knowing the original MS-20 patch panel, you can understand the PS-20 one.

You have the main audio path sections on top:
( VCO1 & VCO2 & CA added the Noise gen in there) > VCO Mixer > VChpF > VClpF > VCA > etc...

Below that there are various modulation sources, like the MG (LFO), the EG1 & EG2 (Envelopes) or S/H section (or "module" if looking at this like a modular synth).
There's even a CV mixer utility section/module with 2 attenuators.

Each section ("module") has modulation ins or signal out. You just need to follow the lines'n'arrows to see the signal flow and where to inject modulation or from where to source generated signals.

Look for each rectangle, read what's inside and match that with the control (knob) section.

Understand what each section does and what INs and OUTs are available from/into it.

If you know (subtractive) synthesis, you'll know what to do with all the available I/O. Just keep in mind that the Modulation amount on most of the section/module inputs is in the knobs with "PATCH PNL" text in their label.

Fortunately, CA added PW on both VCOs and even VCO out

ghostwhistler wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:41 pm
GusGranite wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:13 pm Oldie but goodie https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrDD ... doaPbNXR35
Those videos don't work on this vst. I tried the sameple and hold patch and plugging the sqaure wave modulator into the clock does nothing.

Sorry about that. I have the Voltage Modular version so just go module by module.

ghostwhistler wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:41 pm I tried the sameple and hold patch and plugging the sqaure wave modulator into the clock does nothing.

This? It works fine.
PS-20 S&H.JPG

Just keep in mind that the PS-20 doesn't have MS-20's TOTAL CV input (affecting VCO1+VCO2+HP+LP Freqs), so you have to connect all 4 inputs to get the same modulation.
MS-20 TOTAL cv input.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

so how do i modulate the filter with sample and hold?

See the Red and Blue/Cyan cables ? That's modulating the HP and LP filters. Just set the amount you need in the knobs to the left (2 of the 4 with the green line I added below the label text)

Koshdukai wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:11 pm Knowing the original MS-20 patch panel, you can understand the PS-20 one.

You have the main audio path sections on top:
( VCO1 & VCO2 & CA added the Noise gen in there) > VCO Mixer > VChpF > VClpF > VCA > etc...

Below that there are various modulation sources, like the MG (LFO), the EG1 & EG2 (Envelopes) or S/H section (or "module" if looking at this like a modular synth).
There's even a CV mixer utility section/module with 2 attenuators.

Each section ("module") has modulation ins or signal out. You just need to follow the lines'n'arrows to see the signal flow and where to inject modulation or from where to source generated signals.

Look for each rectangle, read what's inside and match that with the control (knob) section.

Understand what each section does and what INs and OUTs are available from/into it.

If you know (subtractive) synthesis, you'll know what to do with all the available I/O. Just keep in mind that the Modulation amount on most of the section/module inputs is in the knobs with "PATCH PNL" text in their label.

Fortunately, CA added PW on both VCOs and even VCO out
I don't know why you keep saying that, the laoyt of the patch panel is not intuitive at all I have no idea where the things I want are becauese the labelleing is bad

ok :)

In my case, I just read the labels and know.

Do you think the original MS-20 panel layout is better than the PS-20 ?
Last edited by Koshdukai on Sun May 16, 2021 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Koshdukai wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:41 pm See the Red and Blue/Cyan cables ? That's modulating the HP and LP filters. Just set the amount you need in the knobs to the left (2 of the 4 with the green line I added below the label text)
Thanks but I don't see the point of the square wave modulation connection to the clock as it does absolutely nothing

ghostwhistler wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:29 pm
Koshdukai wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:41 pm See the Red and Blue/Cyan cables ? That's modulating the HP and LP filters. Just set the amount you need in the knobs to the left (2 of the 4 with the green line I added below the label text)
Thanks but I don't see the point of the square wave modulation connection to the clock as it does absolutely nothing
how do you clock (trigger) the S&H ?
Last edited by Koshdukai on Sun May 16, 2021 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The original MS-20 patch bay was confusing, and that's why the PS-20 is confusing as well -- plus they added / changed some things. If you're angry / frustrated (and you certainly seem to be), be angry with Korg, not Cherry, who have simply done an emulation.

When you use the patchbay, you often are essentially overriding the 'pre-wired' modulations, that's why you end up controlling depth with the knobs on the main synth, far away from the patchbay. No, it's not intuitive, not in the least -- but again, blame Korg.

Return to “Cherry Audio”