One Synth Challenge #152: WhispAir by Full Bucket Music (Aiynzahev Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
WhispAir

Submissions:
https://soundcloud.com/kvrosc/sets/one- ... ba7459649b

Welcome to the One Synth Challenge #152! It's a friendly music competition where you can win cool prizes but most importantly, meet amazing musicians, and learn a lot about
mixing, sound design, and more! :)

Rules Note:
  • Wavetables are allowed, but should not be used as sample playback engine i.e. to replicate recorded instruments or vocal phrases directly, but rather to synthesise, morph and mangle single cycle waveforms.
  • Commercial fx plugins are allowed.

If there's a bug or issue, try here.

:band2: Winner of the 2021 KVR Audio Developer Challenge! It's a 3 oscillator wavetable synth, with a single page UI, and 4 envelope generators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmv-lt8QiaY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6qZ7LUra7Y

Prizes:
(Would you like to be a sponsor / prize donor? Contact RichardSemper via PM or go ahead and post your intended donation here! Get a cool mention on our donator wall of honor)

Special Note:
We are offering a secondary prize (on top of the normal prize): FXB Project, or JRR Shop (Uncle E)

NEW Additional Bonus Prize!
For the first Single Instance entry to make the top 5 a cash bonus of $50. (note: this prize may be carried forward to selected OSC challenges until it is won)

discoDSP : 1 copy of Discovery (Up to 2 winners may choose this)

KV331 Audio : Bundle of Synthmaster One + Synthmaster 2.x!

Dmitry Sches : Diversion

NUSofting : 1 Copy of Modelonia v2 Synthesizer

ChordPak.com : 1x Pro Pack (Up to 3 winners may choose this)

United Audio Artists : Scratch Master Pro (2 may be chosen per month)

Yuli Yolo Sound Design : (Top 3 Winners get this) Soundsets for Vital: Diversity, Bass Music Wavetables, Noises & Exciters

Luftrum : Two Choices: Either 1x NFR software license of either Bioscape or Lunaris, or two soundsets of choice

Audio Thing : Outer Space (vintage tape echo plugin)

Guda Audio : Euterpe XL

JRR Sounds: Any 1 soundset (This is a secondary prize, you may pick it as well as your main prize)

SoundGym : *NEW* 12 Month Subscription. (SoundGym is a
"technological, personalized and gamified audio learning environment")

JRR Shop : UVI: Digital Synsations (vintage 90's synth sample library and player)

Touch The Universe Productions: LuSH-101 Cloud Layers soundset

The FXB Project by alvfaria : 1 commercial sound bank as an extra prize on top of the regular first prize. See the main site here

Abstract Cats Music : AbiTron Bank for Synthmaster

satYatunes : One of any commercial product

Xenos Soundworks : Choice of any 1 product

Ghostwave Audio : Any two soundsets of Choice

Twolegs Toneworks : Any one soundset

Newloops.com : any 3 sound packs of choice (excluding bundles)

The Unfinished : Any two soundsets of Choice

Aiyn Zahev Sounds: Any 2 Soundsets of choice from the website (Uplifting Trance Presets)

Mulperi : 1 Soundbank of Choice

Bjulin : Inspire soundset for Zebra²

LeapIntoTheVoid : Enchantment Of Absynth Trilogy

Solidtrax : 1 Soundset of choice (except for the Future Chill and Space Trips expansions)

Dream Audio Tools : 1 Indie Fingers bundle (Indie Fingers volumes One and Two)

Any other offers of prizes will be greatly appreciated. :hail: :hail: :hail:

Questions? Comments? Concerns? You want some love? Just post here in this thread :)

Want to try out your skills in other contests / competitions /challenges?
  • DiHalt Demoscene competitions - Developers may be looking for artists to make music.
  • Indaba - Has a mix of popular and indie artists with various contests like remixing and song writing.
  • metapop - Has many competitions, with a soundcloud like interface where you can share, upload, get likes, comments, etc.
  • Mix Challenge - Join monthly recurring Songwriting Competitions (with a new theme/genre every month) and/or Mix(ing) Challenges (mixing multi-tracks from scratch). Win prizes!
  • Open Source Music Nexus Challenge - From the people who brought you the FM Challenge last year!
  • Skio Music Contests - Lots of remixes you can join (Mostly EDM) - big prizes.
Last edited by bjporter on Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:04 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Withdrawn
Last edited by tickytock on Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Again, someone posts their entry within minutes of the thread going up. What's going on with this? They obviously didn't compose and mix a song with 14 instances of the synth, then upload it to SoundCloud in 16 minutes...

I couldn't finish the last one. There's a certain tone to gr-8 that I didn't like when stacking a bunch of instances. It's great for a sound in a mix, but not for every single sound IMO. Too bad cause I had some nice drum sounds.

Hopefully Whispair and me will mesh better with a ton of stacked instances.

I think tickytock has just anticipated some of the likely synths for upcoming rounds and prepared some tracks in advance. There's no rule that you can't start ahead of time, so long as the piece is composed specifically for the competition.
Celebrating 50 years of pants with frogs in them

Hooray, finally a self-sufficient synthesizer that has a sine wave in all oscillators! :hihi: I was trying to figure out how WhispAir is better or worse than Vital (just a thought experiment, I know they are simply different), and the most obvious conclusion I came to is (no offense :hail: ) - in some of Mr. Bjorn's synthesizers just a little boring presets that do not reveal all his huge potential and digital beauty! I think we should chip in this month and make a full bucket of such presets for WhispAir! :tu:
Thank you, Mr. Bjorn, this synth is just space (of sounds)! Congrats with KVR DC Win! :clap: :party:

FrogsInPants wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:59 pm I think tickytock has just anticipated some of the likely synths for upcoming rounds and prepared some tracks in advance. There's no rule that you can't start ahead of time, so long as the piece is composed specifically for the competition.
That's exactly what I've been doing. I don't see why anyone should get heated up over this. Everyone gets heard.

tickytock wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:47 pm
FrogsInPants wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:59 pm I think tickytock has just anticipated some of the likely synths for upcoming rounds and prepared some tracks in advance. There's no rule that you can't start ahead of time, so long as the piece is composed specifically for the competition.
That's exactly what I've been doing. I don't see why anyone should get heated up over this. Everyone gets heard.
You don't need much intuition to guess that a FB synth will be featured in OSC once it got released and even more so if it won the DevChallenge. It's fair enough if users use this "intuition" to prepare. The rules don't say something about, you must only start your track after the synth has been announced. I bet you can even start to compose for FB7999 and have a good chance to use it later this year...

Surely if you don't know what the next synth is for the next competition you are not making the track for the competition? I mean, it doesn't matter, but technically you could argue one can spend a lot more than 30 days compared to someone making the track for the competition from when the competition is announced. Not that it matters to me, I get about 5 spare hours a month to do these tracks so would need to start a year ago haha!

imo time is one of the limitations of this challenge. However there is nothing to stop anyone from using patches, melodies or whole tracks made prior to the competition, as long as the track has never been previously released, and still claim it is made for the particular challenge. Generally it would be impossible to prove otherwise anyway.

IV! wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:08 pm I was trying to figure out how WhispAir is better or worse than Vital (just a thought experiment, I know they are simply different)...
Simple - Vital is a different beast: Audio Rate and exactly model-able multi-segement "LFOs" (btw only 99 points), modulation modifiers that make one LFO (or Env or whatever source) look like many, modulatable unisono settings, filter routings with two stereo filters, all modulations stereo, per oscillator "bend" algorithms, flexible multi fx section... just to name the differences that come immediately to my mind. That is not to say WispAir is a bad synth... the comparison just does not make sence in my eyes.

] Peter:H [ wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:45 am
IV! wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:08 pm I was trying to figure out how WhispAir is better or worse than Vital (just a thought experiment, I know they are simply different)...
Simple - Vital is a different beast: Audio Rate and exactly model-able multi-segement "LFOs" (btw only 99 points), modulation modifiers that make one LFO (or Env or whatever source) look like many, modulatable unisono settings, filter routings with two stereo filters, all modulations stereo, per oscillator "bend" algorithms, flexible multi fx section... just to name the differences that come immediately to my mind. That is not to say WispAir is a bad synth... the comparison just does not make sence in my eyes.
I agree. I also forgot about the FX section against only the chorus at WhispAir (I don't consider this a disadvantage of the latter, it's the freedom to use more favorite effects (except forbidden ones, so Dist/Flan/Other Mod... they are good in the synthesizer :D )). On the contrary, I wanted to say that WhispAir is not obviously a powerful synthesizer (although, judging by 1st place, it is obvious to many :hihi: ). There are two drawbacks for me: the lack of polyphonic unison and only 3 places for user wavetables. I haven't checked it yet, but most likely if I load my wavetable, make a preset with it, and then reboot this wavetable, then this preset won't play as it should.

What's going on with the volume on this vst, it's about 20db over full scale, but there's no master volume?

IV! wrote: if I load my wavetable, make a preset with it, and then reboot this wavetable, then this preset won't play as it should.
Not sure what "rebooting a preset" means, but user wavetables are stored with the presets.

hockinsk3 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:26 pm What's going on with the volume on this vst, it's about 20db over full scale, but there's no master volume?
I think it is 21dB. Hint: The respective button is labeled "Volume". :hihi:

Thanks again for adding one of my babies to the OSC! :hail:

Have fun and Cheers
Björn

Return to “Instruments”