Why is bounce in place not sample accurate?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have an issue with Bounce in Place and I can't seem to find out why.

When I use Bounce in Place on an audio clip, or on audio in an audio track, the bounced sample always seems to have a few samples of latency. It only happens with clips or tracks that contain audio, not with notes. When I place a sample in a Sampler instance and trigger the sample with a note and bounce that down, then the bounced audio is sample accurate.

I've attached a screenshot of what I mean. The top waveform is the original. It's a cut of a longer sample that I've placed in a clip. The bottom waveform is the sample that was bounced using Bounce in Place. As can been seen the bounced-down sample has a slight latency and, strangely, also part of the original longer sample is visible that I cut off before I put it in the clip. For this example I used an empty new project without any plugins loaded.

I've tried a lot of different things to remedy this but nothing seems to make a difference. I've tried different audio interfaces, different sample rates, buffer sizes, PDC enabled/disabled etc. It always happens. I'm using Bitwig 4.4.10 and a Focusrite 18i20 audio interface. I'm on Windows 10.

I don't understand why this happens. Does this happen to anyone else?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Q-man on Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

What stretch mode are you using? Does it still happen if you use raw? My guess is this would be expected for any of the spectral modes, probably the granular modes would be better aligned?

I'm using the Raw stretching mode. Using different stretching modes doesn't make any difference unfortunately.

Send in a bug report to Bitwig

I wonder why Bitwig created this forum place when they are never present.

I've now also tested it on a Mac Book Pro with a fresh install of Bitwig and it's exhibiting the same behaviour. I also tried the beta of Bitwig 5, the issue is present there as well.

I've attached another screenshot from my mac. It's a new project and I dragged a sample into a clip. I cut off the first transient, consolidated the clip and made sure the stretching mode is set to Raw. Then I duplicated the clip and bounced it in place. The result is a clip that is slightly out of sync and starts with a part of the transient that I had cut off from the original. It only seems to happen with edited clips. Bouncing an untouched clip seems to work OK.

Can somebody confirm this behaviour?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Q-man wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 2:56 pm
Can somebody confirm this behaviour?
Yes, following your instructions, I can confirm this. Mac Monterey and V5 beta 6

Same issue here on Win11 / BW 4.2.

It’s very subtle though, waveform is half a pixel derailed from its original

Did any of you reported it to the support mail yet? Their replies are concise but treated diligently sooner or later (specially if you could repro it several times).
Last edited by Zacchino on Wed May 17, 2023 3:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Zacchino wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 2:51 am Same here on Win11 / BW 4.2.

Did any of you reported it to the support mail yet?

Cuz once they get it, they say usually say “thank you for the suggestion״. It’s very important to make sure they appreciate the suggestion.
In this case, it is not a suggestion... it's a bug report. I didn't send it in myself.

Alckemy is frustrated about this (1:11:15):
https://www.youtube.com/live/5LnvnPimY_0

I like that v5 got some delay compensation fixes, but I hope one day, all these unintended delays are fixed, as these are super annoying time wasters, being less obvious to recognize early on.

Does this happen when you export stems?

Weird. In the OP it's adding, in Alckemy's vid is chopping off transients, on my system it's literally adding a few negligible amount of samples, but only sometimes, still it's annoying.
-JH

JHernandez wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:29 pm Weird. In the OP it's adding, in Alckemy's vid is chopping off transients, on my system it's literally adding a few negligible amount of samples, but only sometimes, still it's annoying.
Please put in a bug report.

Still a big problem.. It drives me crazy :P

Tested in 5.0.11. Yeah, definitely looks like a fade in and a shift.
clip.png

Return to “Bitwig”