Is VUMeterMK4 in 300 ms integration ?

Official support for: hornetplugins.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there,

I love HoRNet interfaces, so I was very excited to try this meter with colour change possibility !
Here is the strange thing, I read that HoRNet meter is set to 300 ms integration, same as my Reaper master meter, yet it shows completely different values. HoRNet is on default settings (-18 dBFS at 0, and no autogain correction), so I know that reaper rms value should be -18 dBFS under, but it is actually above ! Of course, VUMeterMK4 is at the right end of master FX chain, and master gain is at 0.
So what does HoRNet meter measure exactly ? :dog:

Hi as far as I know Reaper meters cannot do VU. they do RMS which is not what a VU meter measures. RMS is the square root of the average of the sum of all the samples squared in a given time window (300ms in your case)

A VU Meter is a much more brutal device as it measures the samples peak values but "low passed" with an integration window of 300ms, this means that to make the meter reach 0 you need at least 300ms of audio at the 0 level otherwise it'll only reach a lower level in the meter even though you had a sample peak of 0.

They both measure loudness (discarding raw peak information and only evaluating average level) but they do that in a completely different way!

Saverio

Saverio, thank you for explaining me this, very interesting.

I understood, but even before I started to really enjoy this VUmeter :)
Otherwise, I realised there is a display offset on Reaper meter too ...

Keep going mate :)

Return to “HoRNet Plugins”