32 to 64bit

Official support for: mutools.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yes. Just like within a rack: Show Plugin-list and at the end "Browse ..."

Don't the plugins have internal identifiers which can be used for matching them up?

Using the plugin's path to identify it is inherently non-portable, not only between platforms, but even on the same platform, if different users have the plugins installed in different locations.

Hi,

could anyone test a plugin for me with jbridge please? The Mulab UI just hangs temporarily when trying to add notes to a midi sequence etc

DR-910: https://plugins4free.com/plugin/2376/

This doesn't happen with the plugin jbridge'd in Reaper though for example, so I'm assuming it's something to do with Mulab's graphics processing schedule etc,would be great if the issue could be resolved as I'd guess it affects other plugins too. (I don't have the same problem with all jbridged plugins in Mulab just to clarify)

thanks
J.

I just tried it with Mulab 9.5.31-64bit on Windows 10 / jBridge 1.75
MuLab does not hang and playing the keyboard DR-910 works fine.
But when entering notes on a track MuLab reacts delayed: While with BasicSynth everything works immediatly, with DR-910 I can hear the sound with an increasing latency. Entered notes only appear after I have released the strg-button.
With the pencil-tool notes sound immediatly with the click, but appear on the screen app. 2 seconds (!) delayed.
I tried screen-recording, but unfortunately that did not work.

In addition I just tried it with Mulab 9.5.31-32bit on Windows 10-64 (without jBridge of course) and it works fine here!

And finally I tried jBridge 32-32bit and MuLba 9.5.31-32bit behaves the same way as 64bit described in the post above.
Also I tried a bridged version of Kontakt (32-32bit) and it behaves just like above.
So I think there is an issue of MuLab 9.5 with jBridge on the Midi-side as I use one or two jbridged audio-effects without any problems.

Thanks for taking the time @nenneb

yes that’s what I meant when drawing with the pencil, the UI hangs for a bit. I’ve tried different settings in jbridge that sound like they might be related to UI updates in the host but none of them worked

I’ll try out a few other 32 bit plugins in the meantime, see if I can find any more with then same issue

J

Maybe better to invest time in replacing your 32 bit plugs by 64 bit versions.

@mutools - a lot of plugins don't have 64 bit versions. but I can understand it's not necessarily feasible to support things that old. I mainly raised it to see if there was an obvious issue with the event/rendering thread overall.

thanks
J
Last edited by jmp909_ on Wed May 01, 2024 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jmp909_ wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:01 pm @mutools - a lot of plugins don't have 64 bit versions.
I know. But one day 32 bit support will cease (eg. by Microsoft). So that's why i recommend going fully 64 bit, step by step. You could also replace a 32 bit plugin without 64 bit version by a 64 bit plug from a different manufacturer. It will need some tweaking, by maybe that even upgrades the sound of your track.

About converting 32 bit plugins into their 64 bit version of the same manufacturer: It's on the wishlist to add a special support function for that. The initial r&d for that has started.
but I can understand it's not necessarily feasible to support things that old. I mainly raised it to see if there was an obvious issue with the rendering thread overall.
I indeed don't expect to find the time to investigate this specific JBridge related issue, to be honnest.

Did we try Bridgewize?
https://ddmf.eu/bridgewize/
DDMF always seems to think of the intuitive angle IMO.

I would figure the best way, then a bunch of Jbridges on every instrument (and I've never gotten jbridge to work), would be one bridge/subhost, to keep them all on a shelf in a 32 bit library.

@TorresBob88 that DR-910 plugin worked fine in Mulab with Bridgewize demo. thanks for the heads up.

Awesome.

DDMF makes nice little boutique stuff.
They're even modular enthusiasts, but MuLab actually does that better then I've seen it anywhere else.

mutools wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:20 pm
jmp909_ wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:01 pm @mutools - a lot of plugins don't have 64 bit versions.
I know. But one day 32 bit support will cease (eg. by Microsoft). So that's why i recommend going fully 64 bit, step by step. You could also replace a 32 bit plugin without 64 bit version by a 64 bit plug from a different manufacturer. It will need some tweaking, by maybe that even upgrades the sound of your track.

About converting 32 bit plugins into their 64 bit version of the same manufacturer: It's on the wishlist to add a special support function for that. The initial r&d for that has started.
but I can understand it's not necessarily feasible to support things that old. I mainly raised it to see if there was an obvious issue with the rendering thread overall.
I indeed don't expect to find the time to investigate this specific JBridge related issue, to be honnest.
Sadly, I have a handful of Plugins that are 32-bit AND Mac PPC and they have proven irreplaceable. :(

I have a couple of Intel plugs I can't replace on ARM (dev gone missing, closed their doors, etc.), so I'm running Mulab as ARM and another copy as Intel.

Regarding DDMF, I used to use Metaplugin for bridging, but Apple killed all 32-bit code. I also used it for VST3-only plugins, but since the latest Mulab updates, that's no longer necessary either. It works great, but the graphics in the bridge were janky on Mac. For Windows, it's probably all dead solid.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Return to “MUTOOLS”