Soft / Gentle / Heavenly Uplifting-Trance Pluck (How do I make this?)

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys. Trying to make a pluck like these.

This one is the one that portrays what I want the most. At 4:25 https://youtu.be/I7IqVZRV_No?list=PLtLB ... hBlG&t=265

At 3:21 https://youtu.be/TFdKA5nsNus?list=PLtLB ... hBlG&t=200

At 3:35 https://youtu.be/KttSXmT6jqM?list=PLtLB ... hBlG&t=215

I'm wondering if they are using a band pass instead of a low pass? I find when I use a band pass it sounds more resonant and "round".

Also, do you think they're layering? I've tried with a single layer and an mseg, but struggling. I am wondering if maybe they have used a layer that has the attacky, pluck, and then another layer or two that have the more rounded sound that is more apparent in the wet part of the delay. If you listen to Sky Garden, it sounds like it might be that. In False Dawn, it begins as a very attacky, short-decay pluck, but then when it opens up, its got a very "round"/resonant type of sound.

I also wonder if they're doing anything creative with the delays?

But yeah, tried for 5 hours yesterday and to no avail. I can make other type of plucks decently enough, but this style in particular I'm struggling with, so thought I'd post here.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Those are typical trance pluck.

Which means the most important isn't much the technique but more the synth you use: Virus (there is an 1/1 emulation as VST now) first, then try also Spire.

Just in the presets you will find tons of such kinf of plucks.

If you want to build your own: 1 to 3 osc, sawtooth, cutoff relatively low (lowpass, highpass isn't much needed, but you can put one), and an envelope relatively short on the decay and no sustain for the filter, will get you there. It's really not a difficult sound to achieve, as soon as you got the right stuff in hands.

But again, the synth is more important than the technique for that special sound. Virus has a very specific tone when it comes to pluck and all trance stuff goes back to that common root ;)
Spire is a second close as it's clearly also inspired by the Virus anyway... Other synth can often also achieve that, but it's just to going to be more long to do so...

Hint: if I take the 2nd example, it has a bit of a delay first, but then around 4min10 it has the typical "pluck to lead" which is achieved just by automating the filter's sustain to move from 0 to some value above, that will convert the pluck to a sustained lead.

It is more a case of composition and delays + reverb so it feels that it floats.
It won't matter how many M1s you own if the notes, echo timings and reverb are not doing the thing this style does.
Exactly how, I am not sure as I never really wanted to sound like this, but I am sure there are lots of Tuts from the mid-90's on how it was done. maybe try Computer Music mag as they ran these sorts of things and they seemed pretty good.

I will, as usual, advise that this is probably one of those Zen "come at it sideways" things so if you are trying to do this in a head-on fashion, it will probably never happen ;-)
:-)

What synths do you use?

This is a quite easy sound to make. Sawtooth with unison/supersaw. The more voices the better, try 16, moderate detune. Low pass filter with moderate resonance. On the filter envelope, drop the sustain to very low, drop decay to low. Add enough release to avoid envelope induced popping. Turn the low pass filter down. Increase the filter envelope amount until you get the pluck of your dreams. Essentially, the pluck is made by the rapid decay of the higher frequencies as controlled by the envelope. As you open the LP filter, you get longer and longer decay until the filter is fully open and the entire waveform comes through. Drench in reverb, create a sufficiently saccharine melody and you've got trance.

You may want to modulate the resonance on the filter as once fully open, or close to open, you'll start to get some fizziness as the higher frequencies are boosted. I would open the LP with a modwheel or macro which also slowly pulls the resonance down.

Benedict wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:53 pm It is more a case of composition and delays + reverb so it feels that it floats.
It won't matter how many M1s you own if the notes, echo timings and reverb are not doing the thing this style does.
Exactly how, I am not sure as I never really wanted to sound like this, but I am sure there are lots of Tuts from the mid-90's on how it was done. maybe try Computer Music mag as they ran these sorts of things and they seemed pretty good.

I will, as usual, advise that this is probably one of those Zen "come at it sideways" things so if you are trying to do this in a head-on fashion, it will probably never happen ;-)
both of you are correct :) It is both the synth and the delays/reverbs. I tried some presets on spire now and found some that at least somewhat resemble this heavenly pluck feel I'm going for. probably more the synths though as the delay and reverb was pretty standard. still, the fx makes a difference

thanks alot. you're right, i was over complicating it

Deisss wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:32 pm Those are typical trance pluck.

Which means the most important isn't much the technique but more the synth you use: Virus (there is an 1/1 emulation as VST now) first, then try also Spire.

If you want to build your own: 1 to 3 osc, sawtooth, cutoff relatively low (lowpass, highpass isn't much needed, but you can put one), and an envelope relatively short on the decay and no sustain for the filter, will get you there. It's really not a difficult sound to achieve, as soon as you got the right stuff in hands.

But again, the synth is more important than the technique for that special sound. Virus has a very specific tone when it comes to pluck and all trance stuff goes back to that common root ;)
Spire is a second close as it's clearly also inspired by the Virus anyway... Other synth can often also achieve that, but it's just to going to be more long to do so...

Hint: if I take the 2nd example, it has a bit of a delay first, but then around 4min10 it has the typical "pluck to lead" which is achieved just by automating the filter's sustain to move from 0 to some value above, that will convert the pluck to a sustained lead.
you are correct. I tried some presets on spire and found some resembling somewhat to what I'm going for.

I have made alot of plucks before so I know how to do a basic pluck, but have never made this heavenly style and I guess with the synths i tried on (bitwig's polymer/the grid and serum) it just wasn't getting the right sound. so i will try make on spire and reverse engineer some of these presets to see what subtle things they did to them. but you're right, its more standard than I expected. i have tried plucks on spire too, but i see in this preset its using quite a bit of sustain (and yet still sounds plucky and not an open lead) - for example on the preset "anjuna pluck" sustain is 600 or so on the amp env and 345 or so on the filter cutoff. normally i put sustain at 0 as you suggested, but i see here they're allowing the pluck to breathe a bit. also using infecto filter on this preset.

this preset isnt exactly the sound i want but it resembles something along the lines of the heavenly vibe.

As for a virus emulation, can you point me to the one you said is a 1/1 emulation?

I see that Adam Szabo Viper is not available for mac

but I found this, is this what you were referring to? https://dsp56300.wordpress.com/osirus/

thanks so much for your helpful answer
Last edited by Digitt on Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

swilow11 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:01 am What synths do you use?

This is a quite easy sound to make. Sawtooth with unison/supersaw. The more voices the better, try 16, moderate detune. Low pass filter with moderate resonance. On the filter envelope, drop the sustain to very low, drop decay to low. Add enough release to avoid envelope induced popping. Turn the low pass filter down. Increase the filter envelope amount until you get the pluck of your dreams. Essentially, the pluck is made by the rapid decay of the higher frequencies as controlled by the envelope. As you open the LP filter, you get longer and longer decay until the filter is fully open and the entire waveform comes through. Drench in reverb, create a sufficiently saccharine melody and you've got trance.

You may want to modulate the resonance on the filter as once fully open, or close to open, you'll start to get some fizziness as the higher frequencies are boosted. I would open the LP with a modwheel or macro which also slowly pulls the resonance down.
I don't really find this comment very helpful. I know how to make a pluck, as I mentioned in my post "I can make other type of plucks decently enough, but this style in particular I'm struggling with, so thought I'd post here." It's this particular STYLE of pluck that has unique features. Your comment is the equivalent of someone asking how to make an anjuna style pad and saying "a pad is 16 voices with detune and cutoff". like, yeah, every pad has that, but its the particular tweaks that make all the difference. making a pluck is very easy. making an amazing pluck requires finesse.

trying exactly what you said, the pluck came out too attacky. sure, you could say "well then make adjustments", but the point of this post is to find out exactly how to make a particular sound. an explanation on how a pluck is made was not the question.

Deisss wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:32 pm Those are typical trance pluck.

I'm gonna have to actually revise my initial response to you. I have tried now using spire and am still struggling majorly. there is obviously more to it than what you suggested which is just the basic recipe for a standard pluck. Please try it yourself and see for yourself. what you suggested definitely doesn't sound like the one in sky garden. its clear there is specific technique that needs to be done to achieve this sound.

I'm finding mine incredibly thin compared. I assume Sky Garden is adding chorus, I added some but it still doesnt sound close. For the decay, i'm either getting something too attacky that has an attack of a string being plucked like in a harp, and i've spent an hour adjusting decay and sustain and still can't get it right.

but it seems to me like there are alot of factors in making this particular sound. if I am wrong and it is so easy, please try and make the one like in sky garden in spire and show me.

Benedict wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:53 pm It is more a case of composition and delays + reverb so it feels that it floats.

after trying some more today (i had replied to your comment initially last night before bed, so didnt really get to sit down and try), i am finding it incredibly difficult to get the exact sound as in sky garden.

can i ask how exactly one would "come at it sideways"? unfortunately head-on seems to me the only way to really figure out how to make a sound. there is a specific technique that im clearly missing here.

Digitt wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:06 am

I don't really find this comment very helpful. I know how to make a pluck, as I mentioned in my post "I can make other type of plucks decently enough, but this style in particular I'm struggling with, so thought I'd post here." It's this particular STYLE of pluck that has unique features. Your comment is the equivalent of someone asking how to make an anjuna style pad and saying "a pad is 16 voices with detune and cutoff". like, yeah, every pad has that, but its the particular tweaks that make all the difference. making a pluck is very easy. making an amazing pluck requires finesse.

trying exactly what you said, the pluck came out too attacky. sure, you could say "well then make adjustments", but the point of this post is to find out exactly how to make a particular sound. an explanation on how a pluck is made was not the question.
Damn, sorry for trying to help. Forgive me not being able to discern your pluck-making abilities through a wishy washy post about the most basic sound in trance.

Digitt wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:17 am
but I found this, is this what you were referring to? https://dsp56300.wordpress.com/osirus/
That is the one yes, and as its not legal in current form that's why I didnt put any link. And if you're interested into trance, definitely recommend you save money for the 2 machines that makes this genre: JP 8080 and Virus TI.

As for Sky Garden: I can try to replicated, but trust me, its the very very bare basic trance pluck right here.
Go with DSP you should get there or very close (Spire also so Im a bit surprised you didn't suceeded).

Don't forget, as you mention you get a thin result:
- what you're listening is processed and master-ready, which means you need to put quite a bit of compression and saturation, and this genre now goes heavy on those.
- you might just miss to stack osc at different semi, that's why I said 1 to 3 osc ;) you got various techniques, some goes ensemble/supersaw/unison, some prefer to have one osc at 0 semi, one at -12 semi, one -24 and so on. Some do even all :D And some stack several synths :D So you might have to play a bit...
- like said, re-listening, quite clearly, its the very very typical Virus style of pluck, no way you dont succeed at some point to get one close enough to what you want :)

But I confirm what everyone has said (me included): it's a basic pluck from trance, get the 2/3 main machine/vst that does it (serum can get a bit close but usually those 2 above are way more quicker), and like another one said: reverb and delay play a role to blend all on the final result...

swilow11 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:06 pm
Digitt wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:06 am

Damn, sorry for trying to help. Forgive me not being able to discern your pluck-making abilities through a wishy washy post about the most basic sound in trance.
i'm sorry i offended you but to be honest from your previous comment and this one you're sounding quite condescending. How was my post wishy-washy? I showed specific examples of the sound. If you follow the exact instructions you gave me, it does NOT sound like the ones in the 3 songs. Yes, a pluck is the most basic sound in trance, but those particular plucks have specific settings, and your advice was based on just a normal basic pluck, not these types of plucks. Sorry if that offends you.

Deisss wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:05 pm
That is the one yes, and as its not legal in current form that's why I didnt put any link. And if you're interested into trance, definitely recommend you save money for the 2 machines that makes this genre: JP 8080 and Virus TI.

As for Sky Garden: I can try to replicated, but trust me, its the very very bare basic trance pluck right here.
Go with DSP you should get there or very close (Spire also so Im a bit surprised you didn't suceeded).

- what you're listening is processed and master-ready, which means you need to put quite a bit of compression and saturation, and this genre now goes heavy on those.
- you might just miss to stack osc at different semi, that's why I said 1 to 3 osc ;) you got various techniques, some goes ensemble/supersaw/unison, some prefer to have one osc at 0 semi, one at -12 semi, one -24 and so on. Some do even all :D And some stack several synths :D So you might have to play a bit...
- like said, re-listening, quite clearly, its the very very typical Virus style of pluck, no way you dont succeed at some point to get one close enough to what you want :)

But I confirm what everyone has said (me included): it's a basic pluck from trance, get the 2/3 main machine/vst that does it (serum can get a bit close but usually those 2 above are way more quicker), and like another one said: reverb and delay play a role to blend all on the final result...
Thanks. I'll try stacking oscillators and other things.

If you do have the time to make it, I'd really appreciate it and it'd help me alot. I've been trying for hours and still no luck. will keep trying but i'm still pretty sure there are some settings that need to be done in order to achieve this sound. like i said, following your settings you gave, is not enough on its own. there must be something missing.

Deisss wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:05 pm

Look, tomorrow I'm going to write out the same melody and harmony as sky garden so that at least the theory is the same, as the other person pointed out, those things matter. Then I'll send a preview of what i have on spire and you can tell me what i'm doing wrong.

unfortunately DSP isnt working for me, it just crashes idk why. So will have to try on spire. I'll send something tomo so at least you can see what im attempting.

thanks alot for your time and your responses

DL:

https://anonymfile.com/jdQr/virus-preset-pluck.zip

From the youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7IqVZRV_No

At 4min30 (when the pluck start):
- First Pluck Midi.mid => the midi played
- First Pluck part.jpg => how it looks like parameters-wise

A bit after 4min46 (I show also what to automate):
- Second Pluck Midi.mid => the midi played
- Second Pluck Part.jpg => how it looks like parameters-wise

Then:

Virus Preset - Pluck.mid => is the preset of the DSP/Virus (Virus C). I took the first more or less matching preset which was... The 7th from Bank A... And tweaked it a bit.

test sky garden.wav => the result of the track + that pluck played for both Midi, relatively easy to identify when the new synth plays.

Have fun ;)

Return to “Sound Design”