Bitwig 5.2 BETA available

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

aproject wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:44 am In my case, on Macbook Pro m1 (Sonoma), only the first plugins consume the most CPU, later the CPU usage does not increase, I duplicated 32 tracks with Compressor+ and Over and the Macbook works without any major problems.
And please do it properly now like the others did and put the compressors into serial on a single track to exclude Multithreading...
It´s about what a single instance uses of a single core not what the whole system can take...

So take a single track with i.e. some audio on it... make the compressor work and duplicate it as often ON THE SAME TRACK until your CPU gives up...
Now do the same with your favourite non-special CPU hog compressor... and watch how you can load about 10 times as many instances as you can with the new compressor +... the "+" must stand for extra CPU hog...

loungepanda wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:53 am The CPU/DSP usage of Compressor+ is indeed somewhat high. More than Presswerk or Material Comp with OS turned on, for instance.

But of course these comparisons are a bit unfair given that this is MB. Maybe a broadband mode should be available (if possible) for general purpose tasks where you need a lower footprint?
Yeah, Compressor+ is about 3 times the CPU of Presswerk.

It's possible that it will be more optimized before it is officially released. That is often the case with beta software, but who knows in this instance.

Dionysos wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:20 am The multiband nature of Compressor+ isn't made super clear anywhere. My impression from the changelog is that it's just the analysis section that works on multiple bands while the compression itself is broadband. But then it also says this about the "Prism" VCA mode: "Prism gives a clean blend of true multiband compression, with unified single-band compression". I don't know what that means! :lol: Are they thinking "blend" in terms of "how it feels", or a literal blend/mix of differently processed audio?
:hihi:

kvrsw2424 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:47 pm
SmajjL wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:21 pm
kvrsw2424 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:18 pm
SmajjL wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:54 pm I don't believe it, i throw in for example Painter Man that i know for sure is a pain in the X (drifting) and it lign up well - haveto tripple check and re-rip my CDs - can't believe it! haha
Not sure I'm getting you right - would that mean the new tempo mapping would work even for audio which was not recorded to a click/grid??? That would be a really big one ...
Yeah - thats why i posted above that the tears are real hehe - feel free to help me confirm it is real (with your own drifting songs) so people wake up ;)
I used Boney M - Painterman as an example and it you drag it in and then go Edit and Tick the Stretch button, you can see if Bitwig has added markers good or bad ;)
Sure will test once I have it installed (might wait until out of beta, so thanks for the answer!!) Have improvised recordings to test on ... sure hope that over the course of the betas they will still improve on what Trancit and vroteg have observed ...
Since i mention the name of the song on purpose, feel free to test that one and it has steady beats in it in a fair way for Bitwig's stuff to calculate, but the song is drifting all over so it is really a good example and i believe there was no way Bitwig could handle that one before, is what i'm saying - can't wait for some company to at least say they also find improvements going on ;)

duanosforde wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:43 pm
Trancit wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:17 pm Did anybody notice the CPU load of the Compressor+...

I have an Ryzen 9 5900X and I cannot load more than 7 instances in series... more than 13% CPU load for each instance... that´s ridiculous for such a compressor!

Just for comparison... I just have tested a few others like IL Maximus, Fabfilter and similar which give me at max a CPU load of 35% for 20 instances in series... so we are talking about 1,75% in worst case to 13% of Bitwigs...
Seriously??? For a native stock compressor???
I just tested and yeah its maxed out my CPU after about 10 insances. While a similar compressor, i guess, (ik multimedia, ozone, psp) took at 20-30 before it maxed out. I also loaded 100+ instances of the OG bitwig compressor and my cpu load was only at about 40%. I have an i9 12000K.
hey, curious (i have the same cpu) what sample rate and block size you running for Bitwig?

kurt008 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:30 pm
wilkins_micawber wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:18 pm The goal was to offload CPU processing of the GUI to the GPU to lessen overall CPU use, not making the graphics more flashy
Ok boys and girls, if I now need a full featured combined graphics high performance CPU high performance... this and that.....
offload CPU processing of the GUI to the GPU to lessen overall CPU use

this was surely not the question. My AMD graphics card, which also isn't installed with a fully compatible graphics driver (because I highly suspect there's non available (and guess why? What do you know how many different GPU's are already running out there? And how many different CPU's...? May be there are several times more types of GPU's running than CPU's...?!?
So my guess is, that simply a lot of graphics hardware never will get a 100% proper compatible set of drivers - that simple it is.
For Microsoft the manufacturers get cash in some way, making them write drivers for MS Windows right from the hardware's start. But Linux...?

This is my guess but... I refuse - on the other hand - to follow up all the wet dreams of especially manufacturers of hard- and software, because such a machine has to be payable. And I'm not the Billionaire looking for a fancy hobby - sorry. If for a DAW there's a need of several specific components, which are even not known to many people, then such a DAW becomes unusable for me - because I can't and even if - I'd refuse to - afford timely and financially to waste my resources for building such a "power machine" from scratch or buy a specially built one (for most likely an also very special price...).

And as long as I even don't know, if there is any compatible hardware fulfilling such demands like asked for there will be no more machine in my household running Bitwig Studio - period.

I want to make music, but I refuse to accept the participation in a race for compatible hardware.
Once tracker software made music on a text based screen. Now even a usual graphics card has to be replaced by a gamer card for proper 3D-performance...

Folks, in a reasonable DAW 3D capability simply is at least highly questionable If one only wants to make use of the multi core GPU for maths this shouldn't make 3D-capability necessary - right?
3D on the other hand in my eyes is a poor trial to give a technical opportunity to make something look more colorful, more "attractive" to new customers - what basically meets Bitwigs policy since a very long time... and that is permanently new invents instead of enhancing existing stuff to a high professional level. Bitwigs reality since a very long time: After invention almost everything is simply abandoned - there are numerous examples, what speaks the exact same language, because new stuff can be presented, while enhancing old stuff looks "too little new" and is less effective for new customers.

And if indeed performance is an issue: Why not coding the time critical components in an "adult" programming language and on a machine level (like C or at least c++ and like practiced by other DAW makers) instead of this 'Basic for pseudo-professionals' called "Java" ?!?!? Even c++ - if properly coded - makes by far faster software. But instead... we users are asked to buy more and more ... what kind of hardware?

Again: Nobody can tell me if there is a fully compatible graphics card present at all - right? On the other hand Bitwig wanted to offer a native-Linux DAW... so what?!?!? I guess, Bitwig even was on the "first promise, later perhaps regret" path long ago!

I can and will not risk to make my work machine unusable again for this dream. I will abandon Bitwig Studio long before, which is by far not the only existing DAW and... one of only a few asking me to install a gamer graphics card (which btw. I first have to find). Because there's one thing I surely will never do: Installing a new MS product - never again!
I depend on a proper running and reliable PC, but I'm not addicted to Bitwig Studio!
The structure of your essay gave me epilepsy.

Windows Defender detected Trojan:Script/Wacatac.B!ml in bin\BitwigVampHost.exe. Did this happen for anyone else? False positive?

Edit: Same detection for the install file, Bitwig Studio 5.2 Beta 1.msi
Last edited by anders-o on Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hey Bitwig, nice update. Usually you don't get pultec eq's with visuals, so it's wonderful you made it with visuals, but please make it bigger by removing the empty borders around it. I believe it's in line with many other devices that way if you try it. Thanks.

anders-o wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:51 pm Windows Defender detected Trojan:Script/Wacatac.B!ml in bin\BitwigVampHost.exe. Did this happen for anyone else? False positive?

My god you've cracked the case. It's not a GPU GUI update, it's a bitcoin miner!

Seriously tho, Windows Defender flags alot of the Bitwig installers. Somebody explained why in a reddit thread awhile ago but really it's not important. Just ignore defender and install.
"music is the best"

Funk Dracula wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:38 pm
anders-o wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:51 pm Windows Defender detected Trojan:Script/Wacatac.B!ml in bin\BitwigVampHost.exe. Did this happen for anyone else? False positive?

My god you've cracked the case. It's not a GPU GUI update, it's a bitcoin miner!

Seriously tho, Windows Defender flags alot of the Bitwig installers. Somebody explained why in a reddit thread awhile ago but really it's not important. Just ignore defender and install.
:D

. Yeah I assumed as much, can't remember having it happen before though. Anyway, the .msi was green on virustotal so I guess that's settles it lol

I dont think the audio stretch / snap to tempo feature is working, or Im doing something wrong.

I have a mountain of samples that I've been curating for my Tempera synth, and most of these are well formatted and labeled loops. They are not importing properly on 5.2 but are fine on 5.1.x and other DAWs.

For example, I have a 90BPM 2 bar 4/4 high fidelity percussion loop and Im bringing it into an 80BPM project.

On 5.1.8 I can set Bitwig to stretch to tempo on import, I can drag and drop that file, and that 90bpm loop will be slowed down slightly, matching the 80bpm project. Over time, this has not worked 100% of the time on various versions of BWS. Sometimes I have to toggle "stretch on import" on/off, then try my import again, and now the detected file BPM and warp details are correct. Sometimes a double tempo is detected, then when I detect it again a normal tempo shows up.

On 5.2, Im using the same 90BPM file with BWS set either to "assume fixed tempo" or "detect tempo changes", and in both cases the imported file's adjusted tempo is double. So my 90bpm sample is seen as 180bpm. Ive closed/opened the project, Ive toggled all the stretch on import settings, but this happens every time. "Assume fixed tempo" didnt change anything.

Should I be using the "detect/set tempo" tool to retry the detection on these samples when it detects them incorrectly? Has anyone had any luck with this new warp/stretch method?

Over time, I have to wonder about certain comments.

I also have defender on my win10 box that I do music production from, and I've never seen a false positive for Bitwig, Cubase, NI products, etc etc, but there is always someone who comes to the threads about various products to claim specific malware is attached to the installer of the <insert newly updated product here>. Ive seen this exact comment in probably 10 brand forums, usually with a nearly identical trojan being claimed.

I dont know what sort of crap you are up to, lmao, but this aint it.

0 out of 44 engines found something malicious.
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/74b ... ?nocache=1

Rivanni wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:29 pm

0 out of 44 engines found something malicious.
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/74b ... ?nocache=1
Yeah every time this comes up I test these files in ESET, & I have windows defender on this default win10 box. Sometimes Im behind a Sophos node. Every time there are no hits. (Every time someone has come into a thread to claim malware is attached to a widely trusted vendor's products, where the product was recently updated or a new version was released).

Milkman wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:05 pm

Over time, I have to wonder about certain comments.

I also have defender on my win10 box that I do music production from, and I've never seen a false positive for Bitwig, Cubase, NI products, etc etc, but there is always someone who comes to the threads about various products to claim specific malware is attached to the installer of the <insert newly updated product here>. Ive seen this exact comment in probably 10 brand forums, usually with a nearly identical trojan being claimed.

I dont know what sort of crap you are up to, lmao, but this aint it.
The Bitwig installers do get false flagged on some systems. It has something to do with .msi files and not having some sort of signature or update or something to do with some viruses using .msi as a means of getting on your system. It's a generic flag from machine learning or something like that, so it's not accurate. I don't know and can't remember, the details aren't actually important. Somebody explained it once on Reddit tho and others chimed in to verify that was probably the scenario.

I don't think these people are trying to spread anti-Bitwig/Cubase/etc propaganda. I think they just went to install it, Windows Defender said "DANGER," and they are confused and alarmed about that haha. I'm not a Windows expert in the slightest, so I know when Defender warns me about something, I get a little nervous like "What the heck did I do?? Oh shit they got me!" because I just don't know any better haha.
"music is the best"

Return to “Bitwig”