what is the point of the quality switch?

Official support for: artsacoustic.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bit confused about this, because for creative purposes it has no control (something like ambiences' slider), or for simply saving cpu the drop in quality is jus too huge, and no full quality export either?! so it cant really be for cpu reasons.

so whats it meant for?

also a lil odd, when in low quality mode the cpu is halved but still the same as that of Rverb?

regards,

another thing i've noticed, is when in low quality mode, the sound changes v audiably with each pass, particularly the highs seem to reverberate differently.

a phase test confirmed this also is the case in high quality mode but i cant hear it, so dont care.

hi,

the quality knob does exactly what you assume.
it reduces the quality of the reverb in order to deliver
minimal cpu usage at best possible quality in this mode.
and yes, the algorithm sounds different then.
the cpu usage, is way lower then.
you`ll recognise that when you have a really cpu consuming song.
on the other hand, users often reported, that this "low quality mode" has it`s own unique character, and they often use the reverb in this mode consciously, to achieve that type of sound.
so, we did implement this mode to give the user the possibility to have low cpu usage, but then it turned out that the users even like that sound, and use it for certain purposes.
Last edited by nick at artsacoustic on Sun May 29, 2005 3:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Kind regards, Nick at ArtsAcoustic

wm wrote:another thing i've noticed, is when in low quality mode, the sound changes v audiably with each pass, particularly the highs seem to reverberate differently.

a phase test confirmed this also is the case in high quality mode but i cant hear it, so dont care.
do you have the modulation turned on?

nick at artsacoustic wrote:
wm wrote:another thing i've noticed, is when in low quality mode, the sound changes v audiably with each pass, particularly the highs seem to reverberate differently.

no its off, thats what i thought initially that it may be a free running lfo in the modulation, but no its off and echo is off, and i've tried all alog modes, same thing in each, the reverberation changes slightly every time. I also wait for the reverb tail to fade off before playing again.

sys: sx3, p4 2.4ghz, xp sp2.

wm wrote:
nick at artsacoustic wrote:

no its off, thats what i thought initially that it may be a free running lfo in the modulation, but no its off and echo is off, and i've tried all alog modes, same thing in each, the reverberation changes slightly every time. I also wait for the reverb tail to fade off before playing again.

sys: sx3, p4 2.4ghz, xp sp2.
ahh, ok.
now i see what you mean.
well, this is no incorrect behaviour at all, this was actually one of our highest priority:
the reverb`s internal structure is designed after natural behaviours. in a real room (exept in rooms where absoluteley nothing is moving/changing) subtle changes are allways made, such as temperature, airpressure, etc. this is (besides many other things) what makes a reverb actually alive.
theese subtle variations affect a reverb tail allways, so a real room is never the same over the time. that`s the problem with i.e. convolution. up to now you simply cannot achieve theese subtle changes with this technology, as it prints only one moment of the behaviour of the room.
so that was what we tried very hard to achieve, actually. :)

Return to “Arts Acoustic”