Audio Damage has released Discord3, a massive update to the Discord line of pitch-shifting delay effects for AudioUnits and VST.
Discord3 now has three separate algorithms: a "vintage" mode (the original Discord algorithm, modeled on the Eventide H910 and H949), a "clean" mode for more modern shifting sounds, and a "granular" mode for experimental effects. Each mode has its strengths, depending on the input material, and Discord3 has a broad palette of capabilities as a result. The P1 and P2 algorithms have full control over the buffer (window) size of the shift effect, for fine tuning the shift to the input signal, or for stranger sound effects. At the extremes of the six-octave shift range, some truly strange aliasing and artifacts can be had with this control.
Add to this a warm tempo-synced delay, true stereo operation, and extensive modulation abilities, and Discord3 is an extremely capable plug-in for sound design, and is easily capable of everything from subtle chorus and tempo-synced delay effects to outlandish pitch-bomb delays.
- Pitch Shifting: Discord3 contains a pair of shifters with three separate algorithms (Vintage, Clean, and Granular) for different styles of pitch shifting.
- Buffer Size Control: The P1 (Vintage) and P2 (Clean) algorithms have a Buffer Size control, from 32 to 2048 samples, for fine-tuning the pitch shifting effect.
- Delay: Tempo-synced or free-running delays with feedback, cross-feedback, and a sophisticated bandpass filter.
- Modulation: Discord3 has a pair of LFOs that can modulate delay time, pitch shift amount, and filter center frequency.
- True Stereo Operation: Discord3 has a true stereo signal path, with entirely independent control over each side.
- All New GUI: Discord3 has a completely re-designed GUI, with animated displays and a unique "grab-the-digit" value adjustment method.
- MIDI Note Control: Six octaves of pitch-shifting can be controlled with MIDI note input.
- Full MIDI Learn: Discord3 features MIDI learn for every parameter, for full hardware control.
Discord3 costs $59. A $10 upgrade is available for owners of all previous versions of Discord.
It is available for Windows 32-bit VST, Mac OS X 32-bit VST and 32-bit AudioUnit. 64-bit versions are coming soon.