Klevgränd has announced the release of Ting, a new percussion instrument for macOS, Windows and iOS featuring 12 different percussive sounds originating from everyday t[h]ings laying around at home - such as silverware, a sofa, toy drum or a pair of car keys.
Ting supports most DAWs as well as iPad (AUv3) and is intended to be a creative tool and a substitute for ordinary drum and percussion instruments. Altogether ~500 individual samples were used to make this instrument. Each sound is carefully multi-sampled and processed with the common goal to be musically playable. In addition to the sounds, there is an EQ, a room simulator, a reverb and a compressor.
Johan Sundhage, lead developer, Klevgrand:
Since we're all stuck in our homes, we decided to make use of what's there.
- CAR KEYS - A subtle hit, works great as a hihat substitute.
- SILVERWARE - Fork and Knife.
- BIG BOX - A large wooden box with some junk inside slapped with the fist.
- FLOOR STOMP - Stomping the floor makes a great bass drum.
- HAND CLAP - Natural hand clap.
- POT - A clay pot tapped with a finger.
- PAPER SCRATCH - Two papers rubbed against each other. Works as a shaker.
- TOY DRUM - A kid's drum hit with a plastic stick.
- SOFA SLAP - Hand palm on the office sofa.
- STICK ON EDGE - Wooden stick on a table edge.
- SNUSDOSA - A small round box with screws inside tapped.
- FINGER SNAP - Natural finger snap.
- HOME OFFICE - A quite soft room with balanced reflections.
- KITCHEN - Short decay time with bright tail.
- LIVING ROOM - More tail, but not too bright.
- HALLWAY - Damped room with lots of low end.
- CLOSET - Clean response with a very short tail.
- NATURAL - Sweet sounding classic reverb.
- NORTH LAKE - Less high end but more natural.
- MOONLIT - A bright smaller space.
- GLACIER - Bright and large.
- WOODEN - Slightly damped, but organic.
- DYNAMITE - Large and lots of low end.
- Audio Unit (macOS).
- VST (Windows/macOS).
- AAX (Windows/macOS).
- AUv3 (iPad).
- 12 unique objects with individual parameter settings for gain, efx send, pan, dynamics and more.
- 5 different rooms, all originating from an ordinary household.
- 6 different reverb types.
- Three band "passive sounding" EQ.
- Output compressor.
Tweaking parameters for each sound:
- Gain Level.
- Room amount.
- Reverb amount.
- Pitch (-12 semitones to +6 semitones).
- EQ - Treble, MIDI and Bass gain levels.
- 5 different rooms and 6 different reverbs.
- Reverb decay time and a global reverb level.
- Compression amount.
- Output Level.
- AU/VST/AAX $14.99 (Intro price until Apr 30, then $19.99).
- iOS (iPad/AUv3 only) $4.99 (40% off intro price until Apr 30).
App Store: apple.com/us/app/id1504827763
Audio Examples at SoundCloud: SoundCloud.com/klevgrandproducts/sets/ting-audio-examples/s-OcnSnwKPH0l