Positive Grid has announced the release of RIFF, a compact, USB audio interface that lets guitarists turn their computer or mobile device into a music creation and recording rig. Here's what they say:
Designed for convenient jamming, practice and recording at home or on the go, RIFF combines exclusive features such as a large, backlit, numeric display with IN/OUT meter, a customizable control knob and onboard presets, in a portable package. It offers deep integration with Positive Grid's award-winning BIAS FX 2 software, along with access to thousands of customizable guitar tones. RIFF also comes with a recording and effects software bundle for out-of-the-box music creation or experimentation, and studio-quality recording.
RIFF's streamlined design features a large, customizable control knob that provides instant, fingertip access to all functions. For the best possible audio results, users can also monitor their signal on the large LCD display, while taking advantage of an IN/OUT meter and a full-function, 3-color clipping indicator.
RIFF is optimized for use with electric, acoustic and bass guitars. A TONE mode allows players to enhance their sound with three preamp and overdrive emulations to add warmth, classic analog boost, or beefed-up overdrive. DIRECT mode allows for high resolution, low latency practicing, jamming and recording.
Offering deep integration with Positive Grid's BIAS FX 2 amp and effects software, RIFF takes advantage of the modeling and processing features found in BIAS for enhanced creativity and tonal options. Plus, its control knob can be used to customize functions, access the onboard presets for tone shaping, and quickly change a variety of BIAS FX 2 presets, scenes and other settings.
- ToneCloud - online access to a library of 50,000+ guitar tones.
- Authentic Tone - detailed, onboard amp and effects emulation engine with pedalboard creation and customization.
- Guitar Match - allows users to virtually turn their own guitar into the style and sound of a legendary guitar.
- Music Page - includes YouTube browse/search function; jam tracks to play along with; and a new Auto Chords function that displays chords for millions of songs in real time as the user is playing, then slows down the song's tempo or loop a section for deeper practice.
- Auto Gain - when activated within BIAS FX 2, will automatically adjust the gain.
RIFF comes bundled with BIAS FX 2 LE software. A free copy of PreSonus Studio One Prime recording software is also included for easily capturing musical ideas or complete songs.
Compatible with Mac, PC and iOS devices, RIFF is small enough to fit into even the tightest of home setups, while its sturdy metal chassis is built to withstand the rigors of the road. It's USB powered and houses a 1/4" stereo Line In, 1/4" mono out, and a 1/8" headphones jack.
Price: $99 USD. Multiple colors and software upgrade options are also available.