Raising Jake Studios has announced the release of the MB3X Multi-Band Mastering Compressor, a plugin emulation of the hardware unit manufactured by Rocksonics Professional Audio in the mid 1990s - with a few bonus features only available in the plugin.
MB3X is a mastering grade compressor/limiter that uses multiple layers of program-dependent RMS level detectors for low distortion while being simple to set up and operate. The compressor has three fixed bands separated by constant amplitude Bessel crossovers that produce minimal phase distortion and NO pre-ringing. A single Threshold control sets the nominal compression threshold point that can be individually trimmed for each band via "tilting" trim controls making it fast to set up.
The MB3X plugin includes many features not part of the original hardware unit including:
- A/B memory recall of two different sets of settings. When a project is saved in a DAW BOTH sets of controls are saved allowing further "tweaking" at a later time if desired.
- An Output Mix control for blending the compressed signal with the original source signal for parallel compression techniques.
- An "Analogue" control that adds a touch of harmonic distortion for added presence to the signal.
- Switchable 1dB/2dB gain ranges for the gain reduction meters.
- A "Hilbert" control that reduces the THD of the compressor to inaudible levels over most of the audio range - for example, THD of a 35Hz sine wave at full compression is only 0.003% with Hilbert control engaged.
- Automatic mono/stereo channel switching for reduced CPU load when used on mono tracks in mixing.
The MB3X compressor can be used to automatically balance the audio spectrum and levels in applications such as Web Radio or can be adjusted to preserve the source EQ balance when used in applications such as mastering. In either case, the compressor will bring out the details in the audio while controlling dynamics in a musically pleasing way for a "finished" sound.
The MB3X can be used in all critical audio applications including:
- Web Radio.
- Video Production.
MB3X is a 64-bit plugin available in VST, VST3, AAX and AU (Mac) formats for Windows and Mac OS 10.7+.
Price: $69.95 USD. Free demos for all formats are available at the company's website.