|Product||Big Blue Compressor|
€149 / $149
|Type / Tags||Dynamics (Compressor / Limiter)|
|Copy Protection||Key File|
The Big Blue Compressor is a modern compressor with vintage qualities. Although it can sound transparent whenever necessary, it was designed to give character and warmth to your sound.
Modern features from the digital world, including a Look Ahead function, are paired with qualities from the analog world, such as the saturation of transients that is typical of tube compressors. Far more than a tool to compress the dynamic range of sound, the Big Blue Compressor gives you unprecedented control over the character of the compression algorithm and the esthetics of the output sound. This enables you to vary from very clean and smooth results to dramatic reshaping of the sound transients.
The introductory price of €99 (Europe)/$99 (worldwide) is valid through August 15, after which the regular price becomes €149/$149.
Big Blue Compressor is available in RTAS/AS/VST/AU format for Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7 and Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger), 10.5 (Leopard), 10.6 (Snow Leopard), and 10.7 (Lion).
- Tube-compressor-style dynamic saturation.
- Variable-knee limiting with proprietary tube modeling.
- Dry/wet control for parallel compression.
- Low- and high-pass filters on input and side chain with unique scaling, allowing for high-precision adjustments at critical frequencies.
- Stereo imaging: stereo narrowing or widening, mid/side mode.
- Sidechain monitor option, to monitor what the compressor detects in the sidechain.
- Auto makeup gain for automatic leveling of pre/post perceived loudness, in addition to user-adjustable makeup gain.
- Adjustable look ahead from 0 to 5 ms.
- Peak/RMS compression mode.
- User-adjustable latency from 0.01 to 5 ms (6 to 440 samples @ 44.1kHz).
- Low CPU load.
- Support for sample rates up to 384 kHz.
- Full parameter automation.
- Native 32- and 64-bit versions (Windows).
Reviewed By Loki Fuego
November 13, 2014
This is probably my most used compressor. Basically, when I'm thinking of general compression, I first reach to Big Blue Compressor. I use it for drums, synths, piano, mix buss, almost everything. It is very feature packed (check the details page). It has excellent drive control, which allows you to add that "mojo" to your sound, the saturation sounds pleasing on almost everything. Another nice feature is choke. It doesn't work well with everything, but on certain sounds it can "choke" (distort) transients in a cool way. Depending on your needs this compressor allows you to dial clean or dirty compression. It has both high- and low-pass filters for sidechain, which, when used on a full mix, allow you to focus compressor response on kick, giving you some nice kick-pumping. You can greatly widen stereo image by using it in parallel to compress side signal with stereo control set to wide.
Because I tend to mix loud (my kicks usually peak at around -3db) for me Big Blue Compressor provides nice glue compression with it's default settings.
Big Blue compressor comes bundled with couple of skins, but I stick to default one (suits me well). Also I like that it has XL skins, which works pretty well on my hi-res Samsung tablet.Read more