Valley People Dyna-mite is a faithful software plug-in replica of the hardware Valley People Dyna-mite, a multi-dynamics tool capable of limiting/ compressing, expanding, gating, keying, ducking, de-essing, etc. The Valley People Dyna-mite is a swiss army knife limiter/expander design with unique character that inspires to new sounds.
The Valley People Dyna-mite was designed in the '80s and has become a secret weapon for some. For others, it's still a hidden treasure just waiting to be discovered. It features a limit mode, an expander mode, a gate mode, a de-esser mode and on top of that, two sidechain modes that let you duck or follow a track.
Nowadays, the Dyna-mite has a reputation not only as a problem solver but also as a creative tool that can really influence your sound in a unique way. It is a tech-driven innovative design which has resulted in several creations, like the Valley People proprietary VCA and the Anticipatory Release Computation, both of which play a big part in the sound of the Dyna-mite.
The Softube Valley People Dyna-mite plug-in is the first and only software recreation of the Dyna-mite that is officially endorsed by Valley People.
- Limiting: Peak and average limiting, incl. negative ratio (-20:1) limiting and detector HF filtering (for De-Essing purposes).
- Expanding: Hard or soft with extreme gate settings and detector HF filtering.
- Ducking or Keying modes with external side chain (where available).
- Threshold knob with auto make-up gain.
- Release ranging from 0.05 to 5 sec/20 dB with Anticipatory Release Computation (ARC) to reduce pumping.
- Output volume with accurately modeled output distortion and clip LED.
- Innovative Range knob that controls maximum amount of expansion or limiting.
- Built-in interactive guide that displays current settings and active mode.
- Threshold with Automatic Make-Up Gain: Classic threshold control. Determines the signal level above which limiting, or below which expanding action begins.
- Release with Anticipatory Release Computation (ARC): The program dependent Release control changes its behavior depending on the material in order to prevent pumping. Valley People called it "Anticipatory Release Computation", or just ARC for short. Whatever name it has, it's definitely a big part of the famous Dyna-mite sound.
- Range: The Range control limits the maximum gain reduction. You can use it in expanding mode to set the lower limit of the gate (for example, never gate more than 20 dB), or in limiting mode to allow the strongest transients to slip through.
- Output Stage: As always, a faithfully modeled output stage. The clipping of the output stage is also a big part of the Dyna-mite sound, and crucial when you need to control your signal levels. The slower detector mode (AVG) takes care of the overall limiting, while the output clipping handles the transients.
- Detector Source: Both internal and external side chain is supported. The middle mode (DS-FM) inserts a high frequency boost to the detector which makes it perfect for de-essing or limiting troublesome cymbals. In expanding mode, it helps to trigger the gate for high frequency signals (which is useful if you want to do hard gating on a drum bus, but don't want the gate to close on the hi-hats).
- Mode Switch: Switch between expanding (EXP), limiting (LIM) and bypass (OUT) modes. Output gain and saturation is active in bypass mode.
- Detector Type: Three different detector types give the Dyna-mite three distinctive sounds. Choose between an aggressive Gate mode, a fast all-round Peak mode or the slower AVG mode.
- Interactive Guide: In addition to the original controls, we added an interactive display which shows the current modes and settings.
A Note about UAD Powered Plug-ins
UAD-2 and UAD-1 Powered Plug-Ins run exclusively on Universal Audio's UAD DSP Accelerator Cards. All available Powered Plug-Ins are included in the UAD Software Installer/Updater Package; and every Plug-In title has a separately activated 14-day trial -- so users can try before they buy, at their own pace. Once a user decides to purchase a Plug-In, they can click on the Plug-In toolbar "Buy" button, which automatically takes them to the www.uaudio.com website and carts the plug in; or this can be done manually via browsing our webstore. Once the purchase is complete, a downloadable Authorization File is made available. Users simply drag and drop this Auth. File into the UAD meter, and the Plug-In is authorized. UAD-1 users can transfer Plug-In licenses to UAD-2 format for free (one time only). Via Customer Support, Universal Audio also allows registered UAD owners to sell their UAD card(s) with Plug-In licenses, transferring the licenses to the new card owner (subject to Universal Audio approval).