Do not Waist Your Money On Native Instruments Flash and mirrors Komplete Kontrol Keyboards. You only need The VirtualKeyboard Plugin to display all the MIDI notes in a number of colors per MIDI channel in real time across the on screen keyboad GUI. You can even use your computer keyboard to play basic notes and chords with this inexpensive plugin. Thank You so Much 4drX! You literally saved me a Thousand Bucks.
I use this plugin as visualiser to see what notes are being played. I use it with chord generators or when i want to see what notes were recorded during previous recording session. I dont use QWERTY keyboard as input - i use 88 key MIDI keyboard - so i cant judge on the features regarding QWERTY input.
I tested several similar plugins and this is the ONLY ONE that has everything:
- no octave limit - i can display all 7+ octaves of my 88 MIDI keyboard.
- keyboard is resizable with absolutely no size limit - i have 30" LCD display and the keyboard is resized edge to edge with nice height too.
- keywidth is also resizable.
- you can scroll the keyboard left / right by 1 key increment so you can choose EXACT crop of the displayed keyboard range (this is something i couldnt find on any other program - ussually the left / right scrolling jumps by whole octave increments)
- all the size config is REMEMBERED so you adjust the size once and it loads like that everytime you load the VST in future.
- display octave or note names for quick orientation.
- customisable color for active keys to make things high contrast.
- fading is nice bonus - the keys that are released do not loose color immediatelly with Note off message but the color fades down slowly (can be set in miliseconds) - this is nice for piano beginners.
- in Reaper the VST integrates flawlessly and reacts to notes from timeline MIDI clips, notes played live via MIDI keyboard, notes played by any plugin that preceeds this plugin in chain - all at once - no issues... the window can be in foreground or background and always works...
- the tiny icon bars can be hidden and window resized so you ONLY see the black and white keys and nothing else - very very clean design.
Check the DEMO it made me buy it after making sure all the above checks.
For 19 USD i didnt find any plugin that would combine ALL these benefits IN ONE... Congrats for WELL THOUGHT OUT PLUGIN.
It is the tool which (I ignore why) is absent in all most popular daw and which is nevertheless incredibly practical. The designer of the software takes time to listen to your requests with regard to the possible concerns which we can meet, he quickly brings solutions. I deeply advise it to you .
Any time I don't remember what notes are being played on a track, I pop this in and watch the keys. So much easier than squinting at the piano roll. Very handy. Long fade times can spell out those chords for you, just start and stop playback on the chord and it will sit there long enough for the slowest person to locate. Love this thing.
There are so many times when I want to scan through VSTs and AUs quickly without the fuss of starting up a DAW.
Much easier to use a Host such as Plogue Bidule or Blue Cat's Patchwork and put the Virtual Keyboard or Virtual Keyboard synth first in the chain. There are lots of synths and sampler instruments that don't feature a piano style interface and you're pretty much stuck without an app like VK.
There is depth to the app, too. There are a number of options that add flexibility and, thus, value to the software.
In the section "Play notes too with your computer keyboard" you will see the keyboard shortcuts to increase or decrease the velocity. If this is not what you are trying to achieve, please use the feedback form that shows up when you download the demo to send us a feature request.
When an update is available you will see appear in the top left corner of the VirtualKeyboard interface an hyperlink that reads « Click here to update ». Alternatively you can add this kvr page to your favorites and you will receive a notification. You can use the same link that you received when you purchased it, to download the latest version.
I love the program with all of its features, however there is one problem when holding computer keyboard key (z) and (c) and trying also add (b) to form the three note C chord will not work. You have to move the octave range down with the (, )key and use (q), (e), (t) keys. I have SETTINGS COMPUTER KEYS on focus, KEYBOARD TYPE QWERTY, MIDDLE C 2-5 on any refresh rate and the 2 octave Note range setting. May I also ask a feature request of chord support? It would be great if there were a rec(mode) where I could assign thee or four keys to (q) key to be fired off with one key press. Thank you. I love what you have done so far.
Hi John, thanks for the feedback, we will add your feature request for chord support in our todo-list (it's a neat idea!). However we can't reproduce your problem with the C chord. Can you send us maybe a picture of your keyboard and a video of what is going on? Can you drop us a line at https://www.4drx.com/plugins/contact.html? We try to answer as much as possible to forum posts but it's always easier to contact us via our site.