Something analogous to the way the new Grid operates...?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yokai wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:06 pm
antic604 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:04 pm
Tj Shredder wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:30 pmI could load Signal into Max and then send all kinds of modulation signals via Midi/OSC to Bitwig, but it would be easier and more fun to just look at it as a source of inspiration and start to patch in the Grid myself...
The thing is - from what I've seen and understand - The Grid only seems to output audio signal, because it's a "normal" instrument / FX device (it's not clear whether it can output MIDI notes, like Arpeggiator, Note Harmonizer or Diatonic Transposer). There seems to be no way of taking the output signal and connecting it to nested device's parameters, other than using the DC Offset + Audio Sidechain "trick".

I guess we'll need to wait for Modulator Grid to fully cover M4L functionality :)
Didn't the text blurb from Bitwig about Bitwig 3 state that modulators from inside a grid device can directly modulate other devices, as long as they are children of the grid device? The video definitely modulator"arrow" hooks in the video.
modulate yes... but it does not look like you can build sequencers and arpeggiators etc

pdxindy wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:27 pm
Yokai wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:06 pm
antic604 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:04 pm
Tj Shredder wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:30 pmI could load Signal into Max and then send all kinds of modulation signals via Midi/OSC to Bitwig, but it would be easier and more fun to just look at it as a source of inspiration and start to patch in the Grid myself...
The thing is - from what I've seen and understand - The Grid only seems to output audio signal, because it's a "normal" instrument / FX device (it's not clear whether it can output MIDI notes, like Arpeggiator, Note Harmonizer or Diatonic Transposer). There seems to be no way of taking the output signal and connecting it to nested device's parameters, other than using the DC Offset + Audio Sidechain "trick".

I guess we'll need to wait for Modulator Grid to fully cover M4L functionality :)
Didn't the text blurb from Bitwig about Bitwig 3 state that modulators from inside a grid device can directly modulate other devices, as long as they are children of the grid device? The video definitely modulator"arrow" hooks in the video.
modulate yes... but it does not look like you can build sequencers and arpeggiators etc
Except the bottom of the Bitwig 3 page *seems* to state that you'll be able to do exactly that:
Modules like envelopes, LFOs, and sequencers all have modulator outputs as well. And just as Bitwig Studio’s modulators can control any parameter in The Grid, any grid signal can be used to modulate child devices.

Yokai wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:49 pm
Except the bottom of the Bitwig 3 page *seems* to state that you'll be able to do exactly that:
Modules like envelopes, LFOs, and sequencers all have modulator outputs as well. And just as Bitwig Studio’s modulators can control any parameter in The Grid, any grid signal can be used to modulate child devices.
That is modulation... not triggering notes with a sequencer or arpeggiator.

The new devices are Poly Grid, Mono Grid and FX Grid. No Midi Grid

Yokai wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:06 pmDidn't the text blurb from Bitwig about Bitwig 3 state that modulators from inside a grid device can directly modulate other devices, as long as they are children of the grid device? The video definitely modulator"arrow" hooks in the video.
You're right! Wonder how is that going to work - maybe it'll just show up in The Grid's modulators section as a "custom" modulator?

Oh well. It's gonna be awesome either way :D
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

pdxindy wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:11 pm

Okay yes but... If Bitwig themselves specifically mention "sequencers" as being one of the module types in the grid, that implies a module that triggers notes. In fact, isn't that un-labeled module at 0:07 (right beneath the "Pulse" module) a sequencer? It looks like a chromatic piano roll with midi note 'blocks' in it. If that isn't a grid module triggering notes, I'll stand on my head. ;)

Yokai wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:03 pmOkay yes but... If Bitwig themselves specifically mention "sequencers" as being one of the module types in the grid, that implies a module that triggers notes. In fact, isn't that un-labeled module at 0:07 (right beneath the "Pulse" module) a sequencer? It looks like a chromatic piano roll with midi note 'blocks' in it. If that isn't a grid module triggering notes, I'll stand on my head. ;)
I'm betting on it too!

One thing that's strange is that when they announced the modular environment in 2013 they explicitly said it's the same environment they're creating the native devices with. Now, in 2019 there's no word of that. I'm not expecting to get "edit" button on all native devices, but it would be nice to know it's the same environment that they themselves use, not something new created in parallel to the real dev environment.
Music tech enthusiast

Yokai wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:03 pm
pdxindy wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:11 pm

Okay yes but... If Bitwig themselves specifically mention "sequencers" as being one of the module types in the grid, that implies a module that triggers notes. In fact, isn't that un-labeled module at 0:07 (right beneath the "Pulse" module) a sequencer? It looks like a chromatic piano roll with midi note 'blocks' in it. If that isn't a grid module triggering notes, I'll stand on my head. ;)
Sequencers can be modulation sequencers so just mentioning the term sequencer does not for sure mean note sequencer. However, that does look like a kind of piano roll... On the info page when they describe the sorts of things one can make, no mention is made of creating note sequencers or arpeggiators. They only mention synths and FX and generative stuff. Since lots of people point to all the note sequencers available in Live as something missing in Bitwig, I think they would mention Sequencers and Arpeggiators etc. if it were possible.

My guess at this point is that the sequencer you are pointing to is internal to the Grid and the Grid devices do not pass along generated notes and later we will get a Midi Grid device.

antic604 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:10 pm
Yokai wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:03 pmOkay yes but... If Bitwig themselves specifically mention "sequencers" as being one of the module types in the grid, that implies a module that triggers notes. In fact, isn't that un-labeled module at 0:07 (right beneath the "Pulse" module) a sequencer? It looks like a chromatic piano roll with midi note 'blocks' in it. If that isn't a grid module triggering notes, I'll stand on my head. ;)
I'm betting on it too!

One thing that's strange is that when they announced the modular environment in 2013 they explicitly said it's the same environment they're creating the native devices with. Now, in 2019 there's no word of that. I'm not expecting to get "edit" button on all native devices, but it would be nice to know it's the same environment that they themselves use, not something new created in parallel to the real dev environment.
Seems like a step towards the eventual full implementation which will eventually include the edit button. My guess is they are not ready yet with the user created GUI's and this is a way to offer some modularity in the meanwhile.

Another possibility is that the system is much broader than what they actually showed so far (and what's ready to be presented at NAMM) and in 4-5 months when it's released it will have modulators, MIDI sequencers, edit button, etc :)
Music tech enthusiast

Of course I would rather that be the case... but it would also surprise me if it were so

antic604 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:03 pm Another possibility is that the system is much broader than what they actually showed so far (and what's ready to be presented at NAMM) and in 4-5 months when it's released it will have modulators, MIDI sequencers, edit button, etc :)
I'll bet that's right. Mono, Poly, and FX now, with BWS3 release of The Grid, but I doubt Bitwig will end there.
https://www.reverbnation.com/toddsilva
Ryzen 9 5950x with 64G, i7 5820K with 32G DDR4, networked using AudioGridder, Bitwig, NI, U-he, and Arturia soft synths to name a few
Eurorack system https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/432465

Return to “Bitwig”