ReFx Nexus 3 (N3) Finally here!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nexus

FWIW - I have a fair few Nexus expansions from over the years and I'm perfectly ok with paying an upgrade if its significant. Grace periods are commonplace, and I'm ok with them too. I get that some others might not agree. There we go.

Anyone else getting nervous of the lack of mention of the browser?
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

zvenx wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:57 pm
msvs wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:17 am then its your lucky day: Nexus 3 won't use the elicenser dongle any more. And you have 2 activations
Great news. (well the 2 activations :)),
I assume "Fully backwards compatible with Nexus1 and Nexus2" means once installed it will automatically replace Nexus 2 (and 1) in older projects? Or does one still have to have both Nexus 2 and 3 installed.
rsp
Got permission to post this ticket. Asked and answered.

rsp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sound sculptist

so essentially nexus becomes nfr now?

It appears the trade for expansions is an option. I would not jump to the conclusion that the plugin becomes NFR...especially since it would make no sense to trade in a license for expansions that would be useless without the plug.

So no. It is not nfr.

cant wait for somone to make hardware for this

shittytunes wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:55 pm cant wait for somone to make hardware for this

shittytunes wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:55 pm cant wait for somone to make hardware for this
Do you mean a dedicated controller or a standalone hardware unit?

Astralv wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:52 am I do not agree with the pricing that discriminates against older customers who over the years spent a lot of money paying for ridiculously expansive expansions. So if I spent $1000 and a new guy just bought Nexus 2, he should get $50 discount because- why exactly?
I don't get it either. At least considering that newer expansions will only work with N3.
So basically when a current customer likes a new expansion, they will have to pay the expansion AND the update in order to enjoy it.

thejonsolo wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:49 pm It appears the trade for expansions is an option. I would not jump to the conclusion that the plugin becomes NFR...especially since it would make no sense to trade in a license for expansions that would be useless without the plug.

So no. It is not nfr.
I really don't get what do you mean by that?
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

m-ac wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:22 pm
steve.lindqvist wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:40 pm
m-ac wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:31 pm As do Vengeance and Spectrasonics with their free updates, which could be passed off as new versions. Some developers are just more generous than others :tu:
Not quite correct. Avenger 2.0 will be charged (full version number). I also payed twice for upgrades to Spectrasonics. From Atmosphere to Omnisphere v1 and then from Omnisphere v1 to v2 (which is over $150 just from v1 to v2!).

But I completely agree on this point: Just give me that damn HiDPI GUI and take my money!
You misunderstood my point, I meant omni 2.5 and avenger 1.5 were/are free, when the devs could have easily charged for them and named them v3.0 etc.
No, I did't. You can't ignore the fact that from version 2 up to 2.7.4 all updates were free as well. This should be noticed in your comparison. Things like the 64-Bit version, addition of the impulse response reverb, new photo-realistic GUI, new modulation destinations, improved fx functions, more oscillators, faster loading of presets, performance enhancements, several bug fixes, enhanced mix page (tabs), MIDI enhancements, constant updates for newer (more complex) expansion and so on... And not to mention all the comprehensive freebie expansions (Advent, Christmas, Halloween, Chiptunes, Digital legends and others) over the years - all for free for Nexus owners. As I'm writing this I notice how generous reFX actually is, even though they're always labeled greedy...

mladi wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:04 pm
thejonsolo wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:49 pm It appears the trade for expansions is an option. I would not jump to the conclusion that the plugin becomes NFR...especially since it would make no sense to trade in a license for expansions that would be useless without the plug.

So no. It is not nfr.
I really don't get what do you mean by that?
If you exchange your second car for a motorcycle, then your second car will not become NFR, but you simply "exchanged" it.
If you have two licenses you can sell the second one OR trade it against expansions, simple.

Yup that ^^^.

What intrigues me is the exchange idea...is it merely if you have an extra license, or would it apply to trading sound packs? Their email said they were "implementing an exchange program". That sounds much bigger than applying to a handful of people with more than one license.

thejonsolo wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:36 pm Yup that ^^^.

What intrigues me is the exchange idea...is it merely if you have an extra license, or would it apply to trading sound packs? Their email said they were "implementing an exchange program". That sounds much bigger than applying to a handful of people with more than one license.
Then there is the question how many packages you really get for one license.
Regarding the old vs new expansion exchange I can't imagine that this will be possible, as that would call the entire business model into question. I assume that this will be only possible for full Nexus licenses.

mladi wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:42 pm Well, i have Zebra2 and HZ so the update to Zebra3 will be free. I also got Repro for free (i just did not remember why).. ..Anyway, like a guy said before some devs are more generous than others (or don't need to eat) i guess..
I see Urs is eating well, he has increased from 2 to 3 over last years. :)))

With respect.
Murderous duck!

steve.lindqvist wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:10 pm
m-ac wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:22 pm
steve.lindqvist wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:40 pm
m-ac wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:31 pm As do Vengeance and Spectrasonics with their free updates, which could be passed off as new versions. Some developers are just more generous than others :tu:
Not quite correct. Avenger 2.0 will be charged (full version number). I also payed twice for upgrades to Spectrasonics. From Atmosphere to Omnisphere v1 and then from Omnisphere v1 to v2 (which is over $150 just from v1 to v2!).

But I completely agree on this point: Just give me that damn HiDPI GUI and take my money!
You misunderstood my point, I meant omni 2.5 and avenger 1.5 were/are free, when the devs could have easily charged for them and named them v3.0 etc.
No, I did't. You can't ignore the fact that from version 2 up to 2.7.4 all updates were free as well. This should be noticed in your comparison. Things like the 64-Bit version, addition of the impulse response reverb, new photo-realistic GUI, new modulation destinations, improved fx functions, more oscillators, faster loading of presets, performance enhancements, several bug fixes, enhanced mix page (tabs), MIDI enhancements, constant updates for newer (more complex) expansion and so on... And not to mention all the comprehensive freebie expansions (Advent, Christmas, Halloween, Chiptunes, Digital legends and others) over the years - all for free for Nexus owners. As I'm writing this I notice how generous reFX actually is, even though they're always labeled greedy...
LOL, like I said, you're completely missing my point. I'm NOT saying refx are greedy, you've taken my post completely out of context, which was: Someone said u-he were great for offering free upgrades. I said spectrasonics and vengeance were too, as omni 2.5 and avenger 1.5 could easily be charged updates.

Return to “Instruments”