Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Buy and sell, post special offers, group buys, etc. NOT product announcements.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It seems to have the transpose that RX doesn't have. It looks as if it might be easier to transpose whole sections than in Melodyne?
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

Calenberger wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:45 am
aMUSEd wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:16 am
Uncle E wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:05 am The new IRCAM Lab TS2 is now available as a free upgrade for all current TS owners. The download is available at the top of our page:

https://www.jrrshop.com/ircam-lab-ts
Looks amazing - wonder how it compares to RX and Audition (which I have)?
I doubt there's something in it which is not covered by RX.
I did wonder if the time stretch might be better quality?

paolostylo wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:15 am
chk071 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:56 am
Uncle E wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:18 pm
Ploki wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:46 pm DS Thorn does much more, but its a specific synth.
Oberhausen is a decent emu of Oberheim SEM.
They don't really compare imo.
i'd take Thorn in this shootout.
I used to own an OB-1 (basically an SEM with a keyboard) and the sound was much rounder, softer, and overall more pleasant than Oberhausen. Actually, I find Oberhausen to be sort of the polar opposite of it. It sounds grating to me.
I never heard or played a real SEM in person, so I have to take your word for it. I think Oberhausen sounds fantastic, and very Oberheim-ish, but, hey... maybe I'm wrong. :) Does it matter when it sounds fantastic to me? I don't think so.
In the Nineties I worked with a Roland Jupiter-8, a Juno-106, an SH-101, a TR-808/909 and a few others from Roland.
There was no Oberheim in our Studio but what I try to say is that the emulations,
especially from Arturia or Roland Cloud sound very - no - extreme similar!
What I want to say is what you already stated: "Does it matter when it sounds fantastic to me?"
I would say: No, it doesn't! :) :tu:
The most important thing is actually that you like the sound and that this sound fits into your work.

Oh dear, i hope i'm not going to start another discussion if plugins sound like real hardware...
Nooooo, please don't start a discussion!!! :phones:
in sounds similar is not same as it "feels" similar. we have a sort of middle of the road quality upright piano in my place and i also own the Piano V and NI Piano series. The VST's sound similar but the midi controller + VST has very little comparable feel to the real piano. a lot of it has to do with the dynamics and the acoustics in the room its being played in.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

telecode wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:55 pm
paolostylo wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:15 am
chk071 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:56 am
Ploki wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:46 pm DS Thorn does much more, but its a specific synth.
Oberhausen is a decent emu of Oberheim SEM.
They don't really compare imo.
i'd take Thorn in this shootout.
I used to own an OB-1 (basically an SEM with a keyboard) and the sound was much rounder, softer, and overall more pleasant than Oberhausen. Actually, I find Oberhausen to be sort of the polar opposite of it. It sounds grating to me.
I never heard or played a real SEM in person, so I have to take your word for it. I think Oberhausen sounds fantastic, and very Oberheim-ish, but, hey... maybe I'm wrong. :) Does it matter when it sounds fantastic to me? I don't think so.
In the Nineties I worked with a Roland Jupiter-8, a Juno-106, an SH-101, a TR-808/909 and a few others from Roland.
There was no Oberheim in our Studio but what I try to say is that the emulations,
What I want to say is what you already stated: "Does it matter when it sounds fantastic to me?"
The most important thing is actually that you like the sound and that this sound fits into your work.

Oh dear, i hope i'm not going to start another discussion if plugins sound like real hardware...
Nooooo, please don't start a discussion!!! :phones:
in sounds similar is not same as it "feels" similar. we have a sort of middle of the road quality upright piano in my place and i also own the Piano V and NI Piano series. The VST's sound similar but the midi controller + VST has very little comparable feel to the real piano. a lot of it has to do with the dynamics and the acoustics in the room its being played in.
OK, when it comes to "feel" I totally agree with you. :tu:
It's also a huge difference to play a real Jupiter-8 and tweaking the sliders with your hands than using a controller with a vst.
Or for example, play a real 808 than the software counterpart.

chk071 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:56 am I never heard or played a real SEM in person, so I have to take your word for it. I think Oberhausen sounds fantastic, and very Oberheim-ish, but, hey... maybe I'm wrong. :) Does it matter when it sounds fantastic to me? I don't think so.
Agreed! I also think a real OB-Xa sounds grating compared to the OB-1, maybe Brainworx emulated an OB-Xa and then slapped an SEM-looking GUI on it.

As the filter sounds pretty different, I'm doubtful. :D

Dunno, I'd love to see a comparison vid which compares it to the real thing. I think someone out there should do that for every emulation. :)

paolostylo wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:15 am In the Nineties I worked with a Roland Jupiter-8, a Juno-106, an SH-101, a TR-808/909 and a few others from Roland.
Well, I would only say that if someone is specifically looking for an SEM sound, DIVA gets closer than bx_oberhausen even though it's not an actual Oberheim emulation. Brainworx's TMT technology makes a lot of sense to me in the context of synths and I do hope they continue making more.

chk071 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:07 pm As the filter sounds pretty different, I'm doubtful. :D

Dunno, I'd love to see a comparison vid which compares it to the real thing. I think someone out there should do that for every emulation. :)

A really cool sound to sound comparison video between the
Oberheim OB-X and the Plugin Sonicprojects OP-X Pro II :phones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlmrnAk0oHU

paolostylo wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:22 pm
chk071 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:07 pm As the filter sounds pretty different, I'm doubtful. :D

A really cool sound to sound comparison video between the
Oberheim OB-X and the Plugin Sonicprojects OP-X Pro II :phones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlmrnAk0oHU
Thanks for the video comparison. To my ears straight away the difference was in attack and growl, both come on faster and firmer in the hardware. The software lags behind, performance wise there would def be a marked difference for me in the playing aspect, the 'feel'.

Ploki wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:26 am

oh, so PA strikes again. i'm trying to be less hateful of PA because some people accused me i'm biased

thanks for the insight
I second this. I've used SEMs in the past (90s) and Oberhausen never sounded like a SEM to me. I keep reading in forums about how good it is and so I fire it up again and try and look for that sound I am familiar with and have never achieved it. I am unsure what SEM they used, if any, to compare this to but to me it's not a SEM emulation in terms of sound quality.

plexuss wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:55 pm
Ploki wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:26 am

oh, so PA strikes again. i'm trying to be less hateful of PA because some people accused me i'm biased

thanks for the insight
I second this. I've used SEMs in the past (90s) and Oberhausen never sounded like a SEM to me. I keep reading in forums about how good it is and so I fire it up again and try and look for that sound I am familiar with and have never achieved it. I am unsure what SEM they used, if any, to compare this to but to me it's not a SEM emulation in terms of sound quality.
I agree too. It has been on sale a lot lately so had downloaded the demo and within 10 mins I uninstalled as it didnt feel great, didnt feel right. To each their own, I have synths others aren't hot about but I love them, bx Oberhausen was not good at all for me. Luckily PA offer a trial so you can find out for yourself, thats all that matters.

elxsound wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:25 pm Bigfish Audio are having a site wide sale www.bigfishaudio.com

30% off $399 or more with code: INDP30
20% off $129 or more with code: INDP20
10% off $19 or more with code: INDP10

They've got some products and libraries that are already on sale, as well as some stuff that rarely gets discounted.
Thanks for sharing this. Does it last until only 4th July?

I was eyeing Vir2 Instruments VI. One, which is 20% off at T+S now. I also have 15 GBP worth points to make the deal even better.

But since it's quite an old library, I am just contemplating if it is still worth it even at this sale price. It sounds great though (I remember looping the Dance Chill demo track countless times). If anyone knows, do they do any better sales than this during say Black Friday or year end?

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:01 am
elxsound wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:25 pm Bigfish Audio are having a site wide sale www.bigfishaudio.com

30% off $399 or more with code: INDP30
20% off $129 or more with code: INDP20
10% off $19 or more with code: INDP10

They've got some products and libraries that are already on sale, as well as some stuff that rarely gets discounted.
Thanks for sharing this. Does it last until only 4th July?

I was eyeing Vir2 Instruments VI. One, which is 20% off at T+S now. I also have 15 GBP worth points to make the deal even better.

But since it's quite an old library, I am just contemplating if it is still worth it even at this sale price. It sounds great though (I remember looping the Dance Chill demo track countless times). If anyone knows, do they do any better sales than this during say Black Friday or year end?
They run lots of sales and they ran the exact same deal in February (but I missed that one). Just looking at emails I’ve gotten from them (that haven’t been trashed) I think this is one of the better sales they’ve had for a site wide sale. Prior to this, site wide has been around 20%

They have had deeper sales on specific brands and specific libraries including Black Friday.

If I remember right, I think Vir2 gets featured often in those more specific sales so unless you’re buying a lot, I don’t think this is the best deal for just that library alone.

The ones I was looking at are the Boom Libraries which at times have been placed on sale for just specific titles or else they have a buy 2, get 3 offer at different times of the year. I’m still on the fence since I don’t need the sample libraries right now.

elxsound wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:08 am
Thank you again for the reply. As far as I have observed (from past emails and Google search), they seem to have done a 50% off on Vir2 VI.ONE on Plugin Boutique in 2017 and maybe 40% off on Time+Space after that.

The thing is I am getting it for $53 from Time+Space with loyalty points right now, which is like 50% off. Considering all this, I think this might be a good chance. But if I wait for a better sale on Time+Space, it could well be a steal.

I have dropped an email to Big Fish Audio customer support as well to know more on this, just in case they can share some information specific to VI.ONE, especially on the special/weekly brand sales.

Bx_oberhausen sounds over driven all the time, there's something funky about the gain structure. At this rate when it comes to Oberheim sounds I guess it's best to use samples. As there can be no arguments as to authenticity. The IK OBXD freebie was pretty good.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Return to “Sell & Buy (+Special Offers, Deals & Promos)”