UVI Falcon - hybrid instrument - version 3.01 released - rumors, ads, praise, mud wrestling and off-topic inside!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

I'm new to Falcon, and now try to purchase soundwares one by one. Last week, I bought Drone and I found this pack is totaly "locked" from Falcon's edit tab. I understand that soundware which named as "Falcon Expansion" are all editable. But how about others? UVI site does not mention about that.

Falcon Expansion:
LoFi Dreams, Voklm, Savege, Purality, Pulsar, Cinematic Shdes, Eternal Funk, Devinity,
Titanium, Ether Fields, SubCulture,Atomospherics, Digital Motion, Analog Motion, Spectre

These 15 expansion are all editable, I'm sure. I have half of them and have no problem to edit their patches. About other soundware which I have:

Synth Anthology 3, Model D : editable
Drone : NOT editable

How about others? Does anyone have full list of this?

NoriSato wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:21 am I'm new to Falcon, and now try to purchase soundwares one by one. Last week, I bought Drone and I found this pack is totaly "locked" from Falcon's edit tab. I understand that soundware which named as "Falcon Expansion" are all editable. But how about others? UVI site does not mention about that.
UVI Meteor is not editable, but Xtreme FX is. However Meteor does have it's own edit tab which is sufficient. Even though you cant edit, you can add everything else, from Effects, to Events and Mods.

If you really want to edit, you can always record and import the sound as a sample in Falcon. :p
Last edited by l33t4e on Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

I am by no means an expert on editing Falcon presets, but I do a few changes here and there, along with my own preset creations.
Some of the factory presets are made up of very large LUA scripts which are locked. This is unfortunate, because it not only prevents a user from changing them, but it also doesn't allow us to study these scripts to learn the LUA APIs for Falcon and how they are applied.
At least that is my understanding.
The whole UFS file system is opaque. It has many components inside its archive, but there is no way I know of to extract parts or list the contents.
A side effect of this is that when one looks at a changelog for a large package, there may be only a few small changes to a sample or piece, and yet one must download a huge multi-gigabyte file to get that small fix. Other archive tools allow editing and replacing archive components at the file level.
Jim Hurley - experimental music
Windows 10 Pro (20H2 19042.662); i9-9900K@5.1GHz;
Cakewalk; Adam Audio A8X; Axiom 61

"Editable" have many meanings for me.

First, inspecting each modules setting, I can study many "professional" settings and tricks.

Next, most of parameters are too simplified in each designated edit screen. For example, Drone use sparkverb inside, but it has only 5 parameters which can edit in its own editor. "Real" sparkverb has 15 parameters. This simplification heavily restrict sound tweaking capability. And off cause, I can not add or insert additional FXs to existing patch.

Third, I very often need to use "partial part" of patch. Most sequence/arpagiate patch use several tones simultainiously. If patch is editable, I can easily copy one or two layers from patch to new program, and make new simple patch. Another example is sampling base patch. Model-D have over 400 keygroups, and very CPU heavy. Too much for background piano. Because it is editable, I can easily "lighten" it. Open map editor, delete keygroup except C1, C2, C3,.., and extend each range up to 1 octave. Now I got light piano patch with less than 40 keygroups.

Fourth, I want to reuse sampled wav file included in soundsource. Say, found good drum sound sample in soundware. I can copy only the sample osc from it, and right click to change it slice osc. Or use it in pluck osc. Sample wav itself is untouched in ufs, but I can use it in many ways.

I dont want to use patches in soundware untouched, but want to add some original flavor. So, "editable" is very important attribute for me.

I read somewhere that Vintage Vault is editable, IRCAM solo instrument is NOT editable. Thank you for about UVI Meteor. I can not find this information on UVI sites. Any other inforations are wellcome.

(UVI should add explanation about "lock" in their product page)

I won’t be purchasing any more expansions that are not editable in Falcon, I’m not keen on dumbed down interfaces where all parameters are not accessible.

I got caught out with Meteor and probably would’ve purchased Drone if I hadn’t found out about it being locked.

If UVI don’t list on the website which expansions are locked it seems the only way to be sure before purchase is to contact UVI support in future.

Bought my first third party Bank today (Leap into the Void....... my goodness his work in Falcon is out of this world, but I digress.)

I was surprised that unlike Omnisphere or Spire or even the new Vital, there is no way to export your own patches or for a third party developer (within paying UVI) into one neat ufs.... Hopefully UVI will consider changing that.. (yes I know NI does something similar with Kontakt).

Anyway I have two questions.

1) Is there a way to prevent Falcon from showing the Falcon File extension in the browser? I saw a Triple Spiral Audio video where I just see the patch names (as opposed to patch names.uvip) and was wondering how to I prevent the .uvip from showing up in Falcon's Browser.

2) Is there anyway to Favourite patches for your own/ third party like you can a UVI UFS.

Thanks in advance.

rsp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:12 am Bought my first third party Bank today (Leap into the Void....... my goodness his work in Falcon is out of this world.)
Thanks. Good to hear you like em.
I was surprised that unlike Omnisphere or Spire or even the new Vital, there is no way to export your own patches or for a third party developer (within paying UVI) into one neat ufs.... Hopefully UVI will consider changing that..
That would be nice indeed. :tu:
I'd like to argue that the overall Falcon experience and impression would benefit by this.
I understand it should not be supported in UVI player but that could probably be easily prevented.
1) Is there a way to prevent Falcon from showing the Falcon File extension in the browser? I saw a Triple Spiral Audio video where I just see the patch names (as opposed to patch names.uvip) and was wondering how to I prevent the .uvip from showing up in Falcon's Browser.
Over here it shows without the extension. Can't find anything in prefs.
Long shot, could be the extension is chosen in the OS as to open the app, and for you it's not.
2) Is there anyway to Favourite patches for your own/ third party like you can a UVI UFS.
No.
A workaround would be to create your own folder in finder and re-save/move your favourites in this folder.
Sounds and presets for UVI Falcon "Iterata X".
Bazille soundset - Crystalline Textures 3.

Harry_HH wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:30 pm
sircuit wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:29 pm @dev you really should put that iLok additional installer thingy optional (leave it checked for new users but just offer the option to disable it). Every time I get the situation in the attached picture. But is not the error, the waste is the simple fact that I just sit and watch the installer unpacking 3-5 components just to spit a "hey, sorry for the mess, your iLok software looks fine :)"
I have made that request to UVI support about 4 years ago. Basicly got feedback like "shut up - its our way or highway" as the reply.
I would seriously doubt that they said anything like that.
Harry_HH wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:30 pm Its a strange blind spot in the otherwise great company policy.
No, its a sensible thing for any dev to do.
Any knowledgeable user will either cancel the pace install or just wait a minute longer until its finished.
If a new user has the option to avoid installing the pace driver, they well might do that and find the software wont work.
Then its screaming all over the internet about how shit uvi are and a load of grief for uvi support as they try to get it sorted out.
Win 10 with Ryzen 5950x, Bitwig 5, too many plugins, Novation Circuit Mono Station and now a lovely Waldorf Blofeld.

RobGee wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:32 am I won’t be purchasing any more expansions that are not editable in Falcon, I’m not keen on dumbed down interfaces where all parameters are not accessible.

I got caught out with Meteor and probably would’ve purchased Drone if I hadn’t found out about it being locked.

If UVI don’t list on the website which expansions are locked it seems the only way to be sure before purchase is to contact UVI support in future.
They have a 14 day refund policy fyi
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Kypresso wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:31 pm
Harry_HH wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:30 pm
sircuit wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:29 pm @dev you really should put that iLok additional installer thingy optional (leave it checked for new users but just offer the option to disable it). Every time I get the situation in the attached picture. But is not the error, the waste is the simple fact that I just sit and watch the installer unpacking 3-5 components just to spit a "hey, sorry for the mess, your iLok software looks fine :)"
I have made that request to UVI support about 4 years ago. Basicly got feedback like "shut up - its our way or highway" as the reply.
I would seriously doubt that they said anything like that.
Harry_HH wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:30 pm Its a strange blind spot in the otherwise great company policy.
No, its a sensible thing for any dev to do.
Any knowledgeable user will either cancel the pace install or just wait a minute longer until its finished.
If a new user has the option to avoid installing the pace driver, they well might do that and find the software wont work.
Then its screaming all over the internet about how shit uvi are and a load of grief for uvi support as they try to get it sorted out.
"I would seriously doubt that they said anything like that."

You can "seriously doubt" whatever you fancy and can imagine in your head.

"Any knowledgeable user will either cancel..."

One of the most stupid and least-knowledgeable comment I hear in these pages, since I join Kvr in 2006.
Its MOST unusual, that the installation is MENT to be interrupted violently.

Hi, maybe there is a way to do this or maybe a FR for a global option to do so.
I am finding working with Falcon a bit cumbersome in two related ways. And maybe there is away to solve these that I haven't realised as yet.
1) UVI banks come with macros, but they are all to be midi learned, and doing it in one patch doesn't learn it globally for all patches in that bank with the same macro configurations... So would I have to redo it for every patch and resave that patch somehow?
In Halion, you do one midi learn of the macros and it stays globally for all patches.

2) Related: A third party bank I bought does not have modwheel assignments for its patches (dont' start me on that peeve :)), but also the macros are assigned to cc parameters I do not have set up on my Midi Controller......
If Falcon had a global translator for midi cc's it would be great.

Thanks in advance.
rsp
sound sculptist

The thing is that patches can have a varying amount of macros assigned, so you cannot have one-size-fits-all thing. It's exactly the same as in Kontakt in that regard. HALion has a fixed number of 8 macros and that's that, that's why it can have fixed CC assignments for them.

As for #2, remapping CCs is totally possible with scripts. There's a MIDI CC Redirect script in the factory scripts.

yeah I thought of that... but at least global per bank?
Most banks i have tried have the same amount of macros for patches within that bank.

How do you for instance currently work with it? Do you know your mappings in Reaper or...?
rsp
sound sculptist

Wondering if a combination of something from Spectrasonics and something from u-he would work.

That is Globally in Falcon, Macros are assigned a number which are automatically mapped incrementally (maybe in the order they are created )... So Macro 1 maps to Cntrl A, Macro 2 to Cntrl B etc (with the ability to override if the Sound Design so choose to.....and in the Global page of Falcon you tell it which midi cc controller you want to always control A, B -Z....

rsp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sound sculptist

I'm also hoping for the same, I already requested it for Shade so maybe they can figure it out for both. I like to have all of my synths in Rack format with synth macros (where applicable) mapped to the rack macros, for immediate hands on control. The way mod # are dynamically assigned is a huge pain and unfortunately makes the synth a lot less appealing to work with. The whole idea behind this workflow is to avoid tedious assignment of host automation in Live and it fails miserably with Falcon. It's such a behemoth that I crave simplicity and convenience even more.

I would love if the first 8 or 16 or 24 even macros were static in the synth somehow and then the rest assigned dynamically in the current way.
Always Read the Manual!

Return to “Instruments”