Importing Ableton files -> automation doesn't work ?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So importing als files from Ableton to Bitwig works for audio, midi notes but not automation, and for me it never has.

I'm on Bitwig 5.1.6 and Live 12 but it was the same with previous versions : when I try to import an als file with VSTs and automation, it recognizes the VST but it only has half of the parameters automated and they are not the same as the original Ableton als file.

Bitwig's website says :

"Importing Ableton Live Sets (ALS)
What's Imported
VST/VST3 plug-ins, along with settings and any automation."

Has this ever worked for someone ?
Last edited by trostiflex on Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hello,
i just tried. And it seems that it's hit or miss. I mean: For some plugins it works, for some it doesn't.
With my quick test right now, for example, i realized that for Sylenth1 (running within Komplete Kontrol), the Filter Cutoff will be imported properly into Bitwig.
For BLEASS SampleWiz2, the automation movement itself gets imported, but is not connected to the parameter! Instead, Bitwig says "Unknown parameter". Which is pretty bad.
So to sum up: It sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't. I used Bitwig 5.1.6 and Ableton 11.2.7 btw.
samplewiz.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I built a Looper for Bitwig! :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z5ywDo2bU0

Thanks, I'm glad to know it's not only me.

Would that be considered like a bug if they say on their website that this should work ?

trostiflex wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:06 pm Thanks, I'm glad to know it's not only me.

Would that be considered like a bug if they say on their website that this should work ?
I'd say it could be considered a bug... but the thing to consider in this situation, is that this feature is one sided. If there is some issue with this from the Ableton side, Ableton is probably not interested in helping Bitwig to import Live projects.

I'd still report it to Bitwig cause maybe they can correct it from their side.

Thanks, I haven't thought about the Ableton side, but that would be a little clunky from Bitwig to claim it works if they knew they can't do anything if it's Ableton related.

Turns out it works well with VST2. I was only trying with VST3, I didn't think about that.

Return to “Bitwig”