Autolinks : distracting, really not doing anything useful.

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:30 pm
Erisian wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:19 pm
dark water wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:30 pm goats
I was hoping for a synth I hadn't previously come across!!! :x
one of my neighbours has a couple.
they escaped a couple of summers ago and ate another neighbours washing and a juniper tree :hihi:

i like em, havent had to do any weeding in the back since they arrived!
used to have nettles that grew in the entry like mad, where i need to take my bins out!

they are not synths, so an emulation might not be a synth :shrug:

(less noise than bloody chickens as well)

Goats are brilliant!
(not to sound too much like the Fast Show character :hihi:).

If I ever have a small field / bit of land next to my (future) house, I'll get a couple of goats.
Something about the mental head-butting beasts which resonates with me!

@Erisian, sorry :P

There are really terrible!!!
Please remove the autolinks! Incredibly annoying and distracting... :roll: :roll:

I have to agree. This seems to be the most confusing "feature" I've ever seen on KVR, since it suggests something that it isn't.
Links in posts usually lead to something the author intended to show or explain.
Several times now I clicked on such an autolink and found myself wondering what the idea was, only to realise there wasn't any idea involved at all, it just showed me some totally unrelated stuff the author never intended to link to.
This distorts reality and makes the forum a place of confusion.

Please disable this feature or allow the user to disable it manually, it's really completely contraproductive!

Thanks,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream | Instagram | YouTube

At least keep them away from people's signatures!!! :x :x :x

(some examples are ridiculous... )

Chance of KVR mgmt listening and removing this are just like removing the voting or briniging back the dark theme, I'd say.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

I don't see the use of this at all, but at the very least could they please be distinguishable from links the post author created? Different colour etc.

revvy wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:12 am Chance of KVR mgmt listening and removing this are just like removing the voting or briniging back the dark theme, I'd say.
:cry: [thinking you might be right].
BTW, there were some tools to customize a dark theme (from your browser). Can something similar be done for the auto-links?

It's an experiment for now. It's not paid. It's to encourage more traffic to the KVR product database pages, developer pages, and product database search.

It matches explicit product and developer names in the KVR product database - it's case-sensitive.

It's restricted to all developer names and products flagged as plug-in instruments, effects or hosts.

It's in the main forums, not the company forums. It could be added to company forums but restricted to their products of course.

It adds links to text that is not already a link (i.e. it doesn't change any existing links).

Custom links can also be created, which is why you might see, for example, "virtual instruments" linked to an appropriate KVR product database search.

Some product names are generic words, such as "Add", "Acoustic" or "Listen" so we override any obvious ones we've noticed and set them to be ignored.

It's not AI so it will convert some links that don't seem relevant. Sorry. I'll add more words to the ignore list if they are too generic.

Addressing some of the issues raised in this thread it is now disabled on phones, it now skips signatures, all lowercase products name are ignored as they are less likely to be referring to the product. The links should already have had a dotted underline and an "Auto Linked to KVR Page" tooltip on mouseover but I've increased the height of the dots by a pixel and changed them to grey now.

@Ben[KVR]

I had not given any thumbs in a few weeks before now (!) but I see you appear to have removed the downvotes and only left the upvotes? If so, that rocks, thank you!

(thumbs was more important for me than the autolinks and I found a dark theme browser extension so that too pales compared to the downvotes)
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

i wanted to downvote bens post :x

You cheeky bugger!

Still can''t believe there's a synth (?) called Shepherd.

I agree with revvy.
Let's get rid of the thumbs down icons forever, thanks :)

@vurt - now we know who's been down-voting everyone! :x :x

dark water wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:41 pm
not everyone!
as an anarchist, i direct my downvotes at figures of authority only :)

revvy wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:39 pm You cheeky bugger!

Still can''t believe there's a synth (?) called Shepherd.
synthesises shepherd tones.

dark water wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:41 pm I agree with revvy.
Let's get rid of the thumbs down icons forever, thanks :)

yeah, warp/censor the reality like in the real world....

Return to “Site Stuff”