What are your favorite non-Valhalla reverbs, and why?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

I love GlaceVerb for it's lush metallic dense echoes. It's also really subtle when it needs to be, adding air and such.

When I was kid I lived close to Russian border here in Finland. My friend had an abandoned ww2 storage bunker right next to their backyard in a near forest (it wasn't a museum sight, just strangely abandoned), and we used to sneak in and play Indiana Jones there as kids. Older we went there to just spend time. It had two cubic concrete rooms side by side (something like 6x6x6m each). They didn't have a door but an opening between them. The place was completely underground. It had just amazing reverb there. Even though the place wasn't so big, it was so powerful and overwhelming that you had to almost whisper if you didn't want to make the place "sing". And if you indeed sang there it felt like your own voice lifted you up in the air. I've been in cathedrals and such but nowhere else have I felt that kind of force in reverbation. That powerful feeling was really something once I grew up and my voice lowered. When you sang there with loud slavonic baritone, oh man! Flares of your trousers were flapping, at least it felt like it :)

That place would've made one killer echo chamber!

On the other hand here is one of the finest reverbs I've heard on record:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR-goA8hoSM

SpinAudio Roomverb M1 and M2:

- very large set of room variables to tweak (with M2 being the absolute king in this regard: room dimensions, mic placement, wall material, decay curve etc. etc.) which makes it possible to ghet the sound you are looking for if you know what you do. Downside: you really have to know what you do since the presets are imo rather weak.
- serarate eq for early and late reflextions
- M2: brilliant preset management with search

Meldaproduction MReverb and MMultibandReverb:

- Spatial positioning system (fully automatable)
- advanced modulation features

Lexicon 480L. Jazz Hall and Music Club presets. I used them in pretty much everything.

EMT140 (Nebula has a 140 library which sounds stunning and very close to the real thing I've heard in many songs)

Lexicon MPX. This plug-in makes very natural sounding reverbs in my opinion. It just makes things sound like "part of a common place".

Mercado_Negro wrote:
Lexicon MPX. This plug-in makes very natural sounding reverbs in my opinion. It just makes things sound like "part of a common place".
and with both an input and output knob, very quick to setup.

Walking down the Harringay Passage in Haringey, London N8/N4. It's a tight little passage that cuts through the long streets on the Harringay Ladder, running about a mile in length. The reverb in there is a gorgeous ring, almost comb filteresque, with a surprisingly long decay. Walking through it at night is weirdly terrifying, as it's a mugger and crackheads' paradise. The feelings of unease are magnified by that reverb. 15 seconds of ringing footsteps, cross the open street, 15 seconds of ringing footsteps, cross the open street, repeat.

Map below. It isn't explicitly marked, but it's the thin grey line that cuts across all the streets that sit between Wightman Road and Green Lanes.

http://amap.to/xbgpcr

Headley Grange Stairwell. Used for John Bonham's drums on "When the Levee Breaks":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWI9bMe7gHE

Sean Costello

cron wrote:Walking down the Harringay Passage in Haringey, London N8/N4. It's a tight little passage that cuts through the long streets on the Harringay Ladder, running about a mile in length. The reverb in there is a gorgeous ring, almost comb filteresque, with a surprisingly long decay. Walking through it at night is weirdly terrifying, as it's a mugger and crackheads' paradise. The feelings of unease are magnified by that reverb. 15 seconds of ringing footsteps, cross the open street, 15 seconds of ringing footsteps, cross the open street, repeat.
Sounds like a reverb version of Danny's Big Wheel ride through the Overlook Hotel.

Sean Costello

Any really old church or cathedral building, that sound that just envelopes you all around. I've always wanted to hear something very similar from 2 speakers but, nothings really come close yet.

With headphones it can be done binaurally.

Plugin wise still have a lot of love for ArtsAcoustic Reverb, superb for long darker ambient washes.
Arksun
Music Producer | Sound Designer
www.arksun-sound.com

Rented an AMS RMX16 last week w/Don Gunn. Listened to the impulses at his home studio. Metallic, grainy, not that impressive. Listened to the effect on individual instruments and drums. Again, not very impressive.

Listened to the RMX16 on drums in a full mix. TOTALLY 3D. Not just between the speakers, but behind the head. The perceived "flaws" totally disappeared within the context of a mix.

Sean Costello

I :love: SilverSpikes Reverb.it

I like it because it seems to mix very well, low CPU and pretty darn flexible. It has been my go to reverb for years and still has the only sound that I like. I bought the CSR bundle from IK, but it still just does not have the pureness of the Silverspikes.

It is also a very easy GUI... I find the VRoom to have too many parameters now and I hate getting lost in the tweaking session. I am a set it and forget it kind of guy. ;)

fateamenabletochange wrote:The Taj Mahal was an awesome experience, even though I was prepared having previously listened to Paul Horn recordings. Reflections going on and on with such clarity. The surfaces are very hard but smooth, some curved and some very angular. There were kind of dividing partitions that were thick stone lattice, designed I guess to let light in.
From the first Paul Horn recording inside the Taj Mahal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98-SNlApA-o

I have this on scratchy vinyl.

Sean Costello

"Creation Du Monde," by Vangelis, 1973:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0QQJfPi3ps

I first heard this watching "Cosmos" as a 10 yo. The music was played during an extended sequence with some glowing dandelion space ship exploring the scale of the universe.

This "reverb" was generated by 3 RE-201 Space Echos. I am presuming they were in series, but I don't know this for sure. What is very clear is that the tapes in the Space Echos were fairly worn and stretched out, as the pitch wobbles are very obvious. 3 wobbly tape echos in series, w/feedback applied to each one and different delay times = modulated reverb before digital reverbs came into being.

Sean Costello

Return to “Effects”