Anybody received their Osmose yet?

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

The only thing stopping me reserving one is knowing how easy it is to record and edit all the extra performance data within Bitwig. In the recent Sonic Lab YouTube video they said it recorded on two midi channels. Curious to see how well that works in Bitwig workflow-wise.

Appreciate they have only just started shipping, but I'm keen to hear some feedback!

Thanks,

S
--
NoiseTracker (Amiga 500) > Octamed (Amiga 1200) > MidiTracker (Amiga 1200) > Acid Pro (Win) > Logic Audio (Win) > Cubase (Win) > Logic (OS X) > Ableton (OS X) > Bitwig (Win)

In the KVR Hardware forum there is an Osmose thread where users are giving feedback. I still don't have mine.

I have mine, I haven't tried recording it in Bitwig yet (prefer to use something with Midi comping for MPE)- will have a go and post here as a Bitwig specific test!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

As soon as they go on sale to public, I will be buying one. They look amazing.

Is the osmose using "timbre" ... sliding up down on a key? or just pressure & pitch bend?
Polarity Music (youtube) berlin, fhain, germany

There is no sliding up and down the key.

For the Y axis imaging that the key travel is divided into two, the first half is the "Z - pressure", the second lower half is the "Y - Timbre".
Bitwig, against the constitution.

I'd be aware of some potential issues myself. I don't know about others but the back of the keys are is not covered I imagine could be a nice trap for dust coffee n food. It's and accident waiting to happen. I also hate tiny little knobs. I think I'd wait for version 2

Has anyone noticed they changed the Sliders?

The Prototype were a long slit with a cylinder, one horizontal and a vertical one.
And the Official are slightly slanted parallel Sliders...

And somehow I preferred the Prototype version, which seemed way more useable.

Prototype Pitch/Mod
003571.png
Official Pitch/Mod
003572.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Zacchino on Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

It would be very cool if Bitwig supported MPE+ for Bitwig Instruments!

(I sent Bitwig a feature request for this)

A few months later...

Are there any Osmose owners willing to share their experiences using this keyboard with Bitwig?

Bitwig 5 came with a script for the Hydrasynth, which makes me wonder whether the Osmose is missing anything before a custom script.

(Today I bought one that should be delivered in October, hence the interest.) :)

pdxindy wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:29 am It would be very cool if Bitwig supported MPE+ for Bitwig Instruments!

(I sent Bitwig a feature request for this)
What would that add exactly?

I'm assuming bitwigs instruments can be set to receive pressure from osmose initial pressure and the aftertouch as timbre? As long as osmosis can transmit that way? I guess that depends if osmosis can send bits aftertouch is cc74. Although a channel specific midi translator could work too I guess.

I have an Osmose. Bitwig's support is OK, but not perfect. It works well enough for recording MPE and playback of MPE instruments that utilize Midi Velocity as the primary source of how the initial attack transients sound. However, Bitwig does not properly record the initial pressure (per Midi Spec, I've already submitted a bug report) This is especially a problem if you intend to record midi (MPE) and use the Osmose synth engine for playback of that performance. It is nearly useless for this at the moment as the Haken Eaganmatrix ignores velocity, and looks only at the pressure signal, which Bitwig often doesn't record at all as it ignores the first values and assumes 0. Hence, not useful. You can of course record the audio of the performance and sidestep this entirely. But, if you're like me and need to edit your performance sometimes, this is annoying.

MPE+ would be even better, but as it stands Bitwig doesn't support MPE correctly, so I'm hoping they fix MPE first. (They've fixed other bugs I've reported in the past, so I'm hopeful)

Midi 2.0 would be the only way to get the precision of MPE+. Standard Midi sends pressure with 7-bit resolution, and a ms between Midi commands. The Eagan Matrix inside Osmose and a Continuum has the higher timing and resolution it needs. I hope my LinnStrument has enough resources to cover Midi 2.0 in the future…

The midi via usb on the LS already runs pretty fast, I did know the bitrate but I have forgotten!

Here we can see multiple full midi messages within one ms:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bitwig, against the constitution.

This video is from two years ago, but it's nice to see that UVI used Bitwig to showcase their plugins with the Osmose. Even if it's just a few seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM_bWzgI2_M

Return to “Bitwig”