HW-Inst used multiple times for the same instrument: Clock Issues

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

(I didn't find a duplicate question, but there may be one.)

I'm connecting a drum machine via midi and my audio interface to Bitwig. I add the patterns in the drum machine. I'm monitoring via Bitwig and not via the sound card.

(Note: When monitoring in Bitwig another KVR post told me, to enable the clock on the track's HW-Interface and not in the audio settings, because the audio settings' clock is only for when monitoring via the audio interface.)

In Bitwig I have four tracks for recording the drum machine. Each track records different drums. Each one has a HW-Instrument that points to the according audio interface input.

When I enable "clock" on one of the tracks, this track has super perfect timing (it's amazing). But the other tracks are totally out of time.

I cannot enable clock on more than one track, I have to choose one.

Question:
Is it possible to record n stems from 1 device, and still having correct timing for each ? Maybe by grouping or using the latency thing ? Or (hot candidate) by playing the drums via midi from bitwig and not from the drum machine's sequencer ?

Problem summary:
4 HW-Devices to one drum machine, for recording 4 stems. Clock can be activated only for one, the other stems are out of sync then.

Work around so far:
- Record stem by stem and activate the clock on each recorded stem

Ideas:
- Grouping ?
- Messing with L and R to get at least two stems vis the same HW-Device ?
- Fall back to use clock in the audio settings and monitor in the hw interface (but then I'm missing all the processing)

Thank you,
R

Post is a bit confusing to me.

First about midi clock;
for timing accuracy it should not matter if you use the midi clock settings on the preferences page or from the hw instrument. The preferences page would be easier if you want the midi clock to always run.
But for each device connected to the same midi cable there should just be one clock running.
Midi can only have one clock source per midi connection. it's not per channel.

So if Bitwig is actually stupid enough to generate a midi clock per hw instrument device and send each to the same midi instrument, then it should create issues.
So enable clock on just one hw instrument and use the rest just to get audio in.

you write: I'm monitoring via Bitwig and not via the sound card
hmm. if you're not using the soundcard, then how does the audio go from bitwig to your ears?
Do you mean you are monitoring the drums directly from the audio interfaces inputs? Because then everything that comes from bitwig would sound out of sync.

If you would use the ping button to adjust the latency and copy that to four channels, or adjust it on each hw instrument the timing would mess up. Try all hw instruments with 0 latency offsett.
If channels now sound off compared to each other the latency compensation for your soundcard is not doing it's job. If timing is only off compared to channels where the hw instrument is not on, you could try to fix it with the timing offset on the hw device. Best to start with one where clock is not enabled.

Return to “Bitwig”