Bedroom Producers Blog releases BPB Dirty VHS, a plugin that emulates the sound characteristics and non-linearities of VHS tapes and VCR video recorders.
The plugin is based on an analysis of multiple VCR and VHS units, examining their pitch variation, circuit and transport noise, dynamics, and frequency response.
The eight processing modes available in BPB Dirty VHS utilize all this information to recreate the sound and vibe of each analyzed unit:
- Golden: Modelled on a VHS player from the 90s, in fairly good condition.
- Old: Modelled on an old VHS player in poor condition with dirty heads.
- 80s: Modelled on a 1980s VHS player using an old, heavily worn-out VHS cassette.
- Generation: Emulates the effect of recording the same signal repeatedly using the same tape until there is a significant amount of 'generation loss' in the quality of the signal.
- Broken: Modelled on a broken VHS player in dire need of repair.
- Long-play: Emulates accidentally switching the VHS recorder into 'Long Play' mode.
- Circuit-bent: Modelled on a 'circuit bent' VHS player with deliberate modifications like wiring the player's audio output into the servo mechanism that regulates the tape speed.
- Console: Models the sound of a vintage video game console recorded onto a VHS tape.
The internal tape emulation algorithm slices the incoming audio into small chunks, with tiny crossfades for each slice, so that the musical timing of the incoming material will be preserved even with extreme variations in pitch.
- Mode Selection: Choose from eight unique VCR models, each imparting authentic tone, pitch, and noise characteristics.
- Pitch Modulation: Closely mimics the effect of VCR motor inconsistencies and tape condition on pitch.
- Tone Shaping: Carefully modeled after actual VCR hardware to shape the sound.
- Noise: Authentic VHS noise blendable with the original signal, complete with noise gate and filtering.
- Noise Gate: Cuts off the noise when there is no input signal.
- Dirt Algorithm: Emulates the overload effect characteristic of VHS tapes.
- Tape Chorus: Simulates the chorusing effect of recording to dual VHS tapes, with options for stereo widening.
- Stereo Control: Adjusts the width of the chorus effect.
- Pitch Shifting: The Whammy engine turns the plugin into a pitch shifter.
- Randomization: Fully randomize parameters for unexpected sonic discoveries.
- User-Friendly Interface: Freely resizable GUI with large controls and a simple layout.
- Presets: Comes with 20 built-in presets and the ability to create and save custom presets.
- Undo/Redo Functionality: For hassle-free sound design experiments.
- VST3/AU plugin format.