FabFilter has announced the release of FabFilter Twin 3, the latest version of its virtual analog synthesizer. Almost two decades after FabFilter's plug-in debut with the FabFilter One synthesizer, Twin 3 expands and improves on its predecessor in every area, including a complete redesign of the GUI and workflow, more and better oscillators and filters, a powered-up modulation system, an all-new FX section and much more. Twin 3 is an instrument for creating synth sounds of all kinds, from basses, leads and pads to plucks, drums, effects and beyond.
FabFilter has completely redesigned Twin 3's interface and workflow, making it more immediately accessible, visually informative and speedy to navigate than ever, and adding new scaling options and a Full Screen mode for taking your synth programming environment to the spatial extreme. Individual oscillators and filters can now be added and removed as required, every aspect of the filters is accessed and manipulated within a stunning interactive EQ-style display, and the darker color scheme is less tiring on the eyes over long sessions. Responsive per-oscillator oscilloscopes, a beautiful spectrogram and full visualization of modulation signals throughout the signal path let you see everything you hear, while the floating slot panels group active modulation sources at each target control for collective tweaking.
Twin 3 now gives you four oscillators (up from Twin 2's three), with which to build synth sounds. Completely overhauled and featuring analog-modelled drift for subtle random pitch and phase fluctuation – as well as pulse width modulation, hard sync and phase sync – Twin 3's oscillators are flawless in their analog authenticity. Polyphony has been given a boost, too, with an upgraded maximum of 64 voices (double the 32 of Twin 2) and the Per Oscillator polyphony mode, which steps through the oscillators with each incoming note. Twin 3's filters have been doubled in number from two to four and similarly enhanced, with new vintage-style bell, shelf and notch types delivering characterful non-linear distortion, and the 6dB/octave slope option and modulatable Cutoff/Peak Offset knobs opening up even more sound design possibilities. A new 4x oversampling High Quality is also available.
Twin 3 introduces a new FX section, comprising six colorful processing modules for transforming and polishing your signals. Shape dynamics and apply saturation with Compressor and Drive effects; create space and generate rhythmic echoes with Reverb and Delay; and thicken and widen the sound with Chorus and Phaser. Every FX parameter is available as a modulation target, and can be modulated using Twin 3's Envelope Generators/Followers, XLFOs, XY controllers, Sliders and MIDI sources. The new Arpeggiator, meanwhile, provides endless creative inspiration, with host sync, Groove/Legato and Rate Offset controls, and the gamut of note value and order options.
Replacing the simple menu of previous versions, Twin 3's new preset browser makes navigation and management of factory and user patches quick and easy. Within the browser's streamlined interface, presets can be assigned freely editable tags for filtering within the Search engine, set as favorites, and given author names and text descriptions. And if you have Twin 1 and/or 2 installed, all of their presets will appear in Twin 3 as well.
New & Improved Features:
- New: Fully redesigned, greatly simplified interface with easier workflow.
- New: Added oscillator, for four in total.
- New: Two added filters, for four in total.
- New: Completely overhauled modulation system with redesigned modulation sources, and floating slot and FX panels.
- New: All-new FX section, housing Reverb, Delay, Chorus, Phaser, Drive and Compressor modules.
- New: Arpeggiator with groove/legato controls, note order, latch options and more.
- New: Full-featured preset browser, with tags, favorites, and search and filter functions, and new factory preset library.
- New: Per Oscillator polyphony mode: each incoming note triggers a different oscillator.
- New: Bell, Shelf and Notch vintage-style EQ filter shapes.
- New: 6dB/octave filter slope option.
- New: Modulatable Filter Freq/Peak Offset knobs, for adjusting all filters at once.
- New: High Quality mode – 4x oversampling.
- New: Transient mode turns Envelope Followers into transient detectors.
- New: Curve adjustment handles for EG Attack, Decay and Release stages.
- New: Slider mode (vertical-only operation) and Range setting (toggles between bipolar and unipolar behavior) for XY controllers.
- New: Hide all modulation sources except for XY controllers and Sliders at a click.
- New: Native sustain pedal support.
- New: Resizable interface with Full Screen mode.
- Improved: Even better oscillator and filter sound quality, with analog-modelled drift.
- Improved: Maximum number of voices doubled from 32 to 64.
- Improved: Lower minimum Envelope Generator Attack, Decay and Release times.
- Improved: Maximum number of XY controllers/Sliders increased to six.
- Improved: Envelope Generator Threshold, and XLFO Balance and Frequency Offset made available as modulation targets.
- Improved: Modulation sources can be renamed.
- Improved: Maximum number of modulation slots increased to 100.
- Improved: Legato mode for MIDI-triggered XLFO.
- Improved: Range options added to MIDI Sources: Negative (-1 to 0), Centered (-1 to 1) and Positive (0 to 1).
FabFilter Twin 3 is now available for €129, supporting both Windows and macOS in VST and VST 3, Audio Units, AAX and AudioSuite plug-in formats. Bundles with FabFilter Twin 3 and other FabFilter plug-ins are available at: www.fabfilter.com/shop
Existing FabFilter customers can purchase or upgrade to FabFilter Twin 3 with attractive discounts by logging into their online user account at: www.fabfilter.com/myaccount