Steinberg today announced the immediate availability of Cubasis 3, the music production app that lets musicians and producers create music anywhere they go.
Gravitating toward its desktop equivalent, Cubasis provides the same look and feel as Steinberg's Cubase music software, and sports similar tools to perform, mix and share music productions, including many effects, hundreds of instrument sounds and third-party plug-in compatibility with Audio Unit, Inter-App Audio and Audiobus 3.
The all-new Cubasis
Previous versions of Cubasis only ran on the iPad, but with its third version, Cubasis has evolved into a full-fledged DAW now offering universal app support for both iPad and iPhone. This means that the app's extensive feature set can now be used on a smaller screen without restricting usability.
Cubasis 3 is more performant than ever before, offering new features and enhancements that let users get results quickly and easily. Group Tracks is one of many highlights that Cubasis has to offer. It combines multiple tracks so that they can be processed and mixed as though they were a single track — a special capability that is extremely useful when using the app on the limited real estate of an iPhone's screen.
The mixer in Cubasis 3 has been revamped, now taking advantage of the entire display. It includes useful zoom modes and an eminently accurate level metering for as many tracks as are needed.
Also new in Cubasis 3 are the eight rearrangeable insert and send effects. Users can add up to eight insert and eight send effects from the many already included in Cubasis or can choose to use third-party effects via Audio Unit, Inter-App Audio and Audiobus 3. The insert effects can now be placed before or after the fader.
Other feature highlights
Many other feature additions and capabilities in Cubasis 3 include:
- Free Cubasis 2 in-app purchase transfer to Cubasis 3.
- MIDI resolution dramatically improved with 960 pulses per quarter note.
- 75 new effects presets.
- Undo reinvented with History List.
- Redesigned instruments and effects.
- Updated audio, MIDI and automation editors.
- Improved MediaBay: Creating folders, moving files and sharing music has never been easier in Cubasis.
- Presets for user interface scalability let Cubasis fit perfectly on either the iPhone or iPad.
- Overdub and looper recording modes.
- MicroSonic now includes even more instruments.
- Easily keep visual track with vertical event coloring.
- AU MIDI effects automation.
- Micrologue ARP (IAP) automation.
- Continuing playback while performing undo, redo and more.
Marketing Manager Lars Slowak commented:
After more than 30 free Cubasis updates for the previous two versions, it's time to reveal what the team has been working on for quite some time now — Cubasis 3, a completely new app.
Not only did we rewrite Cubasis 3 from scratch, we also had to rethink the app itself so that it looks and performs perfectly on the iPhone. It is a huge step forward with iPhone support and more than twenty user-requested features. And I'm very proud of our team who pulled it off, delivering the best version to date with Cubasis 3.
Availability and pricing
Cubasis 3 is purchased as download through the App Store and is not available for free to existing customers of previous versions of Cubasis. The price is 54.99 euros including German VAT.
In addition, the price for the Full Feature Set In-App Purchase, included in Cubasis LE 2 will also be reduced to 16.99 euros.