$249 / €229
|Type / Tags|
|Copy Protection||Dongle (USB-eLicenser)|
Brass is a software recreation of three wind instruments - a trumpet, a saxophone and a trombone - based on physical models. All the characteristics of the real instruments have been analyzed and modeled through mathematical algorithms.
After five years of research at IRCAM, the models have reached a point where it would be hard for anyone to distinguish the original instruments from their software counterparts. Indeed, Brass allows you to play these instruments like experienced performers would - with the same control, the same flexibility and the same expression.
Brass comes loaded with more than 40 instrument presets and offers a large library of more than 1000 pre-written riffs in different musical styles. These riffs have been made by a selection of the most famous designers and arrangers in the industry.
- Virtual instrument playable through a MIDI keyboard.
- Three instruments available : Trumpet, Saxophone, Trombone 8 parameters to control the instruments in real time :
- Pitch (for legatos, falls or expressivity).
- Timbre of the instruments.
- Noise amount in the instrument sound.
- Position of the instrument toward the microphone.
- Mute (for trumpet and trombone).
- Total MIDI control of each parameter through powerful settings, control sense and hardness.
- Independent automation of each parameter via a dedicated control window.
- Configuration of the instruments : 4 attack and 4 vibrato types, material, humanization.
- More than 1000 riff presets in all music styles.
- Easy and fast searching of riffs with the preset explorer.
- Up to 4 simultaneous instruments in a riff.
- Editable length, tempo and tune of each riff.
- Riff editing with the zoomable piano roll and independent parameter editing.
- Powerful editing options : solo, mute, 8 drawing tools.
- Import and export riff presets from and to MIDIfiles.
- Live playing of several riffs with the keyboard.
- Chorus mode for all instruments, up to 4 instruments unison section.
- Spatialization of the instruments in a configurable room.
Reviewed By Krakatau
April 7, 2014
- They are a few reproach i need to mention about this instrument, unfortunately :
According to what has been said under their forum development of it has been stopped, so.
1)- There won't ever be a 64-bit version for this plug-in.
2)- There's no chance for any CPU optimisation, because it can be insanely consuming processor's ressources.
That said :
Being the only brass emulation based on pure acoustic modeling (with GSI Miles'tone, AFAIK), it is the only one that potentially emulates some behaviour of real instruments that even the WIVI brass collection or the famous (and beautiful) sample modeling brass and wind collection (this being inherent of both their hybrid synthesis techniques), won't be able to offer, so far...
Most of these erratic/chaotic behaviours aren't perhaps the most musical for classic styles of composition and alike, but if you're into free-jazz, ethnic or avant-garde style and anything similar, and especially if you're into some of the "Tradimoderne" afro-beat styles that sometimes include ethnic (and more or less achromatic) instruments, in where then, a brass section that behaves with a certain, unpredictable misrepresentation of chords and harmonies, but still at a controlled degree can be desired, ...they might be totally irreplaceable .
Perhaps some sampled instruments would make illusion on the hands of a skilled composer, but for the most it won't replace it.
BRASS offers also many interesting variations in their models (trumpets, trombones, saxophones) as well as a performance mode in where you can place 4 instruments of your choice from a large list of presets anywhere on a 3D modelled stage, you can choose also the transposition of each instruments,audio and MIDI routing, etc...that let you the possibility to create a bunch of different brass sections of 4 (or less) instruments. not to also mention the riff mode that i didn't explore so much to be honest, mainly because i'm generally reluctant to use predefined phrases when composing but are likely an excellent base for some, especially for more distinctive musical styles...
In summary :
- considering it price drop (119 Euro if you pick it up from "the one" option, even less at jrrshop for instance),.
- considering also the constant increase of CPU power of our Platforms,.
- considering the possible workaround of 32-bit limitation (using for instance,the new 32lives app. on mac)
i think it can be an excellent value if you're into the musical styles mentioned above, despite it distressing flaws, IMHO.,.Read more
Reviewed By MadAnthony81
April 5, 2014
I'm rating this a ten because it's great or how old it is. BRASS 2 with effects can get probably, what I call indisguishable between synthesis and real instruments. It's GUI tens to freeze in my Ableton Live because it bogs down my computer after several tracks. Very CPU needy, seemingly.
The trumpets can have a quick attack and be drawn out. They have varying sounds too with many adjustable parameters. All very neat and easy to adjust. Same and similar parameters with sax, and trombone. There are a few really cool options with the sax and mouthpiece as well as types of attacks, and level of expertise from beginner to advanced and computer perfection.
With a MIDI mapping of the paramters on a certain page you can develop your own sound and controls with the mod wheel on a MIDI keyboard. This would require a free hand for the mod wheel or a second party person if licensed and intermediate skills to program it to mod wheel. Any school teacher would be able to learn in minutes.
All in all I believe it's probably atleast 90% realistic if not 100% probably from what I heard my friend play on his sax. Definitely indisguishable with effects which is probably what you hear when you listen to your favorite jazz. They do all that sort of stuff you know! Cheers! Enjoy.
P.S. It still isn't 64-bit compatible without a "vst bridge" for audio host applications of which there are specific makers. Mine worked well but did not improve freezing.
P>S> There are parameters to make it squeal and gritty and can be modulated to the mod wheel and it can get quite realistic that way. But perhaps the noise is not sought after without the mod wheel.Read more