FMMF is a 4-operator FM (Frequency Modulation) synthesizer. It came third in the KVR Developer Challenge 2009.
FMMF has 2 primary aims:
- Make FM synthesis as accessible and user-friendly as possible.
- Use multi-stage envelopes and LFOs to give lots of movement and modulation.
The waveforms, algorithms and envelopes are all shown graphically, with the envelopes allowing dragging of nodes and clicking to change contour. Special attention has been paid to the envelopes to allow you to customise them in many ways, such as the number of stages, the contour of each stage, sustain and repeat points and tempo-sync. There are envelopes for the volume of each operator, the pitch, and the effects section (filter, distortion and delay) all with velocity and key tracking. Further modulation comes in the form of LFOs for the pitch and effects section, with many waveforms including randomising.
For further sound design potential you have a low pass filter, a multi-mode distortion and a flexible delay (with comb delay option). An arpeggiator lets you add even more movement to create rhythmic sequences.
The default preset bank was created by sound designer brian botkiller and shows off the potential of FMMF to make atmospheric pads and leads with lots of movement, big fat bass sounds, funky arps and oddball sound fx.
- 4 Operator FM Synthesis instrument with 17 FM algorithms.
- 11 different waveforms per operator, with note sync option.
- 7 Multi-segment Envelopes (up to 32 stages) for amp, pitch and effects modulation · 3 LFOs for pitch and effects modulation.
- All envelopes can be free or tempo-sync, each stage can have its own contour.
- Envelopes can have user defined sustain and repeat points with flexible locking and zeroing options.
- LFOs can be free or tempo sync, with 20 waveforms and phase & note sync options.
- Each LFO has its own ADSR envelope.
- Arpeggiator with 6 modes and adjustable tempo-sync, note length and octave range.
- Resonant low pass filter with key and velocity tracking, can be modulated by envelopes or LFOs.
- Distortion effect with 18 flavours, can be modulated by envelopes or LFOs.
- Delay with comb delay option, size, feedback and damping, modulated by envelope or LFO.
- Harmonics can be adjusted from 1 to 256, with limit on frequency beyond Nyquist.
- Polyphony adjustable from 1 to 16 voices.
- Portamento time.
- 64 presets by brian botkiller covering many styles.