then I want to write why the Furry800 gets 5 out of 5 stars from me:
1. GUI Björn has lovingly implemented and expanded the GUI of the POLY800. Perfect for me.
2. Haptics When I speak of haptics, I mean the operability of the synth via mouse / keyboard / midi. And then I can only say: it fits something like this: - also created some intermediate stages, especially for the 16 ', 8', 4 'and 2' harmonics, - the setting "Show All Parameters" shows all parameters as sliders and - the settings are not as fiddly small as with other VSTis - I got along with all parameters IMMEDIATELY.
3. Sound What should I say? The sound is full, almost identical to a Poly 800 in Poly 800 mode. And the Fury800 mode is an ingenious extension for me: where do you get 2 for a synth :)?
4. CPU load I'm pretty careful what my VSTs do with the CPU. In the past I have always been very pleasantly surprised by all the synthesizers Björn has created. And it's no different here: the CPU load is totally negligible on modern computers, downright ridiculous with the sound.
5. Extras I know Björn and love the intelligent, well thought-out extensions that he also donates as "extras". That is also the case here as would be there - Voice Mod, God.Mod, SYSEX-Loader, Chorus Rate ....
Unfortunately I can only partially understand the arguments of BONES: - yes, the POLY800 didn't sound as great as other synths, but: it was affordable. And the FURY800 mode is not the POLY800 mode for the real POLY800 sound. - the parameters can be reached via the setting "Show All Parameters" since the first beta, a great feature ... and: the controls can be moved wonderfully with the mouse wheel :) - I think it is very positive to have GUI scaling at all.
As a beta tester, I appreciate the painstaking, detailed work of Björn / Fullbucket. Personally, I think you shouldn't lose sight of the fact that it's a free synth made in your spare time.
If you would like to hear more of the mix between the FURY800 / POLY800 mode: my patches are available and my piece of music is available under.
I think this sounds too good to be a close emulation of a Poly800, which never sounded good at all. The problem with it is that they have slavishly copied the original's UI and it really doesn't work here. You can't see the value of anything until you hover your cursor over it and there is simply not enough contrast between the background and the markings to comfortably read any of the parameters. Overall, the GUI is way too large, too, even at it's minimum scaling.
Overall it's an interesting exercise in showing why slavish emulations of old hardware is a bad idea. Some of FBM's other synths are absolute crackers, like Mono/Fury, but this one is way wide of the mark, I'm afraid. Some years ago Synapse made another Poly800 clone and I think they did a better job than FBM have done here. If you can find a copy of that for sale somewhere, it's a better bet, I reckon.
- Sounds nice enough, better than I remember a Poly800 ever sounding.
- Can't argue with the price.
- GUI too big at minimum size.
- Slavish copying of original UI hampers usability.
4 stars for even creating this beast. The most hated/ignored synth on the planet. It sound way better than I remember, but it lacks the constant noise, distortion and whining...no just kidding. Great work.
5 stars if you add a way to import real poly800 patches.
Amazing work!Thanks for this lovely POLY800 synth, sounds fantastic and has a great vibe. Feed it through Kazrog, QClone, Nebula, Acqua etc. Inspiring, useful, and the Filter is n i c e ! Also perfect: works flawless on Catalina.
Another great synth by Fullbucket. Sounds good and looks good. And don't forget, it's made in C++. I wish the gui's of the FB synths were scalable but that is the only point I would change. Addendum: Found out the gui IS scalable, my fault! :-).
Until now all Full Bucket Music plugins have worked extremely efficiently and flawlessly. I'm using linux and the reaper DAW through WiNE. Fury800 is the first VST that doesn't work - the GPU accelerated version at all and LICE does not display the interface elements correctly (and VST window size too). When I saw that this plugin appeared on KVR with the option of changing the size, I was extremely happy. Meanwhile, it is the first VST that is not suitable for use in my environment. Nevertheless, thank you for the whole set of great vst's. The above only informs that something has changed in GUI development, which stopped the possibility of using this plugin in my OS.. I suspect that every new plugin will also have the same problem. All the best.