|Type / Tags||MIDI EditorMIDI ExaminerMIDI File Viewer/Player/RepairerMIDI PlayerMIDI Sequencer|
|Utility||Stand-alone utility / application|
Java JRE 8 or later
Mac OS X 10.7 or later
Java JRE 8 or later
Java JRE 8 or later
MidiYodi is an application that allows editing, examination and playback of MIDI files, available on all major platforms including Windows, Mac and Unix.
MidiYodi contains a rich set of features such as:
MIDI File Examination
MidiYodi provides various tools to examine the layout and content of a MIDI file:
- MIDI File Explorer
Scans entire folders for MIDI files and for each file displays information such as type, number of tracks, available instruments, song duration, tempo, key- and time signatures.
- Main Window
Displays the rolled-out contents of a MIDI file including a measure bar and all its tracks where each track displays its instrument and miniature notes. In addition meta lanes displays lyrics, markers, tempos, time- and key signatures.
- Keyboard Examiner
Allows note editing for a track in a keyboard like viewer.
- Score Examiner
Displays all notes for a track in a score like viewer.
- Event Examiner
Displays all events for a track including event position (beat, time and tick), category (meta, voice or system), type (note on/off, program change etc) and value.
- Lyrics Examiner
Displays karaoke lyrics if contained in the MIDI file.
MIDI File Editing
MidiYodi offers a rich set of tools to edit the content and structure of a MIDI file:
- MIDI file can be converted from type 0 to type 1 and vice versa.
- Notes can added, removed, copied, moved and have velocity and pitch changed.
- Tracks can be added, removed, copied and moved.
- All or selected tracks can be saved in separate MIDI files.
- Tracks can have their name, instrument and volume changed.
- Any MIDI event (meta, voice or system) can be added or updated.
- Song can be transposed in half-tones up or down and individual tracks can be transposed in 8va's.
- Song tempos can be altered.
- Song sections can be removed.
- Voice events can be moved from one channel to another.
- PPQN can be changed.
MIDI File Playback
MidiYodi offers several navigation and playback controls:
- Controls to start and pause playback in a tape recorder fashion.
- Entire or selected sections of a song can be played in repeat mode.
- Quick navigation by clicking anywhere in the song or jump to the next/previous meta lane event.
- Controls to Mute or Solo any track.
Jukebox - Playlist Management
MidiYodi provides a Jukebox that allows several MIDI files to be managed in playlists and played sequentially:
- Open and save playlists.
- Add, remove and reorder MIDI files in playlist.
- Assign tempo, key and volume for each file to be used during playback.
- Start and stop playback of playlist.
- Selection of playback mode. (First-to-last, loop or one-by-one).
MidiYodi offers some useful and nice customization features:
- Language selection. (English, French, Swedish, Norweigan).
- Look & Feel selection.
- Color theme selection.
- Default examiner selection. (displayed when a track is double-clicked).
- MIDI output device selection.
- Startup file to load when MidiYodi is launched.
- Meta information lanes to show in the main window and examiners.
Reviewed By tommyzai
June 15, 2014
*Disclaimer: I'm a songwriter, producer, and educator. My writing style may read like a billboard ad, but my user review is sincere and authentic. I only appraise a product I consider extraordinary, hence the high rating. I don't work for the developer. In fact, I rarely work at all. :-) I hope you find my review useful. — Tommy Zai.
MidiYodi by Canato is a handy utility that allows users to view, play, and edit MIDI files. It also serves as a MIDI librarian — allowing users to scan entire folders and display instrument and song information (duration, tempo, key, time signature, etc.). MidiYodi provides five different examiners that enable precise viewing and editing (file, song+track, keyboard, score, and event). My favorite examiner/screen is the File Explorer, which show metadata-ish stuff (number of tracks, available instruments, duration, tempo, signatures) and the Keyboard Examiner, which shows a nice visual representation of notes and their durations. I really should list all the different views as they each provide useful viewing and editing options. This is one of those utilities that are addictive. .. once you get used to using. .. you can't live without it.
- Easy to install and launch.
- User-friendly interface.
- Simple, yet powerful.
- Section loop playback, mute, and solo.
- Fine editing tools to alter metadata, transpose, tempo, etc.
- Convenient save options, which include: save, save as, undo, and redo.
- Ability to change color theme.
- Great price.
- Innovative, enthusiastic, responsive developer.
- I would like to see MidiYodi go even deeper and become a full-featured MIDI beast with sequencing and micro editing. But can this be done without becoming bloated and cumbersome?
- Add a play-list.
MidiYodi by Canato is a neat little utility that has become one of my favorite and most useful audio tools. I highly recommend it to anyone, who works with MIDI files (eMusicians, audio producers, film+game scorers, DJs, sound designers, etc.). Tommy Zai gives MidiYodi two pitch-bent thumbs up. Thank you, Canato, for developing such a useful, affordable, and indispensable MIDI utility.Read more