Zebralette 3 GUI Design

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I´m working on a UI mock-up for Zebralette. I've made some minor design tweaks to the original layout while staying true to its core. This is a psd mock-up and I'm working on variations with different colors, backgrounds and more which I will post later. I'd love to get your feedback!

On the original I like that I can change oscfx with the mouse scroll wheel. This one loses that.

As a matter of fact nowadays I can't conceive using VSTs without a mouse with an undented scroll wheel.

Yes, I see what you mean. There is a lot of empty space in the FX section, and my initial thought was to make all effects visible for quick selection on the fly. And drop-down menus are always excluded when it comes to visual changes, as they are os-dependent. Appreciate your feedback!

Here's an updated version with a bit more depth, texture, and knob color variation.

I'd strongly advise to use vector graphics, i.e. svg instead of png. The reason for that is that at least on Mac, vector graphics have become incredibly much faster than bitmap graphics since Mojave. So only by using pure vector graphics are the large spline editors fast and snappy. We assume that's because then they are hardware accelerated.

On Windows we will eventually move to hardware acceleration as well, but atm vector graphics seem fine (apart from he few glitches in our own rasteriser).

Audio Voltage wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:44 pm Here's an updated version with a bit more depth, texture, and knob color variation.

I think the texture is superfluous and distracting - I'd dial it down to 0-10%.
And the font for the osc fx is not a favourite - I love the fact that you can easily see and select them, but 'wacky' fonts are one of the most annoying thing about bad GUIs. Consistent (and well chosen) fonts make a big difference to the success of a design.

Urs wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:12 am I'd strongly advise to use vector graphics, i.e. svg instead of png. The reason for that is that at least on Mac, vector graphics have become incredibly much faster than bitmap graphics since Mojave. So only by using pure vector graphics are the large spline editors fast and snappy. We assume that's because then they are hardware accelerated.

On Windows we will eventually move to hardware acceleration as well, but atm vector graphics seem fine (apart from he few glitches in our own rasteriser).

Thank you Urs, it's great to hear about the enhanced performance on Mac. I'll definitely take your advice to heart and shift my focus towards vector design.

wilx wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:49 am
Audio Voltage wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:44 pm Here's an updated version with a bit more depth, texture, and knob color variation.

I think the texture is superfluous and distracting - I'd dial it down to 0-10%.
And the font for the osc fx is not a favourite - I love the fact that you can easily see and select them, but 'wacky' fonts are one of the most annoying thing about bad GUIs. Consistent (and well chosen) fonts make a big difference to the success of a design.
I'll certainly consider dialing the texture down to 0-10% to make it way more subtle. Yeah, the font is not the best choice, I agree.
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, your feedback is greatly appreciated, and I value your perspective.

Return to “u-he”